Bookworm's DD v Natwest - Result

Bookworm
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6573 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Only a small 'un, see how they deal with it... Not brilliantly so far.

DD is not very assertive for certain things. Well, she's young.

She is being hit for £28 at the end of the month for going over by pence. As she is on low wages and saving for a deposit for flat share, every penny counts and she asked me what to do.

As it was a 1st offence, I suggested a phone call, and see if we could get a quick refund. She asked if I would do the talking for her.

So, we called. My dears, we got the rudest woman ever! Despite the fact that my daughter was right there next to me, and spoke to her first, she would not talk to me, absolutely refused, despite DD clearly giving permission for me to do so!

So of course, poor DD got completely flustered, didn't know what to say, so mumbled about getting a refund, 1st offence and all that... Woman grunted and reluctantly said she'd refund 1/2 the charge, at which point I yelped and told DD to say no. The woman then said she wouln't discuss further and ended conversation.

*SIGH*

So, here goes. Prelim sent, adapted with questions about reasons for refusing to talk to Mumsy, pointing out said Mumsy's affiliation with a rather nifty and combative consumer group (my letterhead paper now prominently sports the link to the site as well as my CAG e-mail addy, lol).

Let's see what happens... They'll learn the easy way, or they'll learn the hard way...

They definitley have to speak to someone else if given permission by the main account holder. I read the actual legislation about it the other day but I've been reading so many acts I can't remember which one! May have been related debt collection agencies in some way. Anyway, they were definitely in the wrong over that.

If you found this post useful please click on the scales above.

Egg - £400 - Prelim sent. On hold.

Mint - On the list Est £800

GE Capital - On the list (3 accounts!) Est £4000

MBNA - £545 Prelim sent 13/11/2006

LBA sent 1/12/2006

£350 partial payment received 18/12/2006.

Full settlement received 20/1/07

NatWest - Est £4000 not incl interest

Data Protection Act Sent 10/1/07

Statements received 24/1/07

Prelim sent 3/2/07

Full Settlement received 22/2/07

The contents of this post are the sole opinions of The Cornflake and not necessarily the opinions of any other members of this group. They do not constitute sound legal or financial advice and if in doubt you are advised to seek advice from a qualified professional

Cornflake, if you could find the info about that, I'd be very grateful. I know that it's not a DPA thing, because if they're "reasonably satisifed" of HER ID, which they were, then there's no reason why they can't accept her authority.

Anyway, they called earlier this morning. Refunded charge :D , confirmed no other charge pending (told DD to check while on the phone!), apologised for way DD had been spoken to, and how conversation had been terminated, maintained that woman had been right not to talk to me, though (hence my request for further info above), and offered to up DD's o/d if it would help. DD wisely declined, and said she was trying to get rid of her debt, not increase it.

So RESULT! :D

It was on a site with legal info about debts. It's in my favourites on one of my other computers so I'll post it when I'm on there.

I remembered it because my wife is trying to deal with some stuff for her ill mum who can't speak very well and some of the companies won't deal with her.

Good news on your result by the way!

If you found this post useful please click on the scales above.

Egg - £400 - Prelim sent. On hold.

Mint - On the list Est £800

GE Capital - On the list (3 accounts!) Est £4000

MBNA - £545 Prelim sent 13/11/2006

LBA sent 1/12/2006

£350 partial payment received 18/12/2006.

Full settlement received 20/1/07

NatWest - Est £4000 not incl interest

Data Protection Act Sent 10/1/07

Statements received 24/1/07

Prelim sent 3/2/07

Full Settlement received 22/2/07

The contents of this post are the sole opinions of The Cornflake and not necessarily the opinions of any other members of this group. They do not constitute sound legal or financial advice and if in doubt you are advised to seek advice from a qualified professional

• 12 years later...

This topic was closed on 10 March 2019.

If you have a problem which is similar to the issues raised in this topic, then please start a new thread and you will get help and support there.

If you would like to post up some information which is relevant to this particular topic then please flag the issue up to the site team and the thread will be reopened.

- Consumer Action Group

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6573 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks