• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Citicard v Andyace

andyace
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6510 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Got my reply today, usual fare that others have had but some interesting points.

1. Steve O'conner says how sorry he is that I have had cause to complain ( not sorry enough obviously).

2. He mentions about the reduction to £12 by the OFT and these should be a maximum. (so we know which end of the scale they will be using then).

3. They will be watching market conditions and will reduce their charges accordingly in July.

4. He did not actually say that they will not refund anywhere in the letter.

5. He understands that this is not the reply that I wanted (your telling me).

I'm not sure how he knows that this is not the reply I wanted because a reply to my request has not been given. As they have not said no to a refund can I take that as a maybe if I keep on pestering.

So I will send off my LBA tomorrow and mention a few points. That if I do go to court and win they will be liable for costs and interest.Also to settle before any court action would be favourable because the level of charges match the balance on my account, so to settle would actauly cost them very little.

Just written this in my lunch break post a copy of my LBA for your approval later.

cheers

andyace

( 5% any day now )

cheers

andyace

citicards= £650/settled £650

Alliance and Leicester= £1534/request for payment sent/LBA sent/standard refusal/moneyclaimsent/settled £2003.36

I've just put this together for my LBA any comments would be helpful.

LBA

Dear Mr O’conner,

I have received your letter dated 12 June and have noted its contents, with this I am surprised that you have not responded more favourably in your reply to my initial request for repayment of the charges on this account.

I would again like to draw your attention to the terms of the contract which you agreed to at the time that I opened my account. It is an implied term of that contract that you would conduct yourselves lawfully and in a manner which complies with UK law. I would like to restate to you that the regime of 'fees' which you have been applying to my account in relation to overlimit and late payment charges are unlawful at Common Law, Statute and recent Consumer regulations.

The recent OFT report regarding a reduction to £12 is a maximum that they recommend; this does not necessarily mean that they are a fair reflection of the costs to you. Only that a higher limit may be described as a penalty charge and therefor unlawful for the reasons I have already stated.

I once again request that you repay charges totaling £625 to this account or alternatively I will accept closure of the account and my liabilities to you will end. Closure of this account would be the best option for both parties because the cost to you would be negligible. This is because the charges are added automatically by computer at midnight on the day of the alleged offence; this was admitted to me by one of your operators.

So I will give you another 14 days to reflect on my request for repayment, after that no more correspondence will be entered into and I will commence proceedings against you in the county court. As you are aware this will incur further costs to yourselves including interest on the amount of claim.

cheers

andyace

( i can smell the 5% )

cheers

andyace

Alliance and Leicester= £1534/request for payment sent/LBA sent/standard refusal/moneyclaimsent/settled £2003.36

The 14 days are up on Friday and then then LBA goes off,but I had an interesting phone call tonight from Citi.

The woman on the phone asked why I hadn't made a payment and I explained why.

I said that I am disputing the amount owed and told her why; i then asked if the call was being recorded and she wasn't sure.I then challenged this and got a collections manager on the phone.

He told me that as I have defaulted the debt it will be sold on and I will have to deal with a debt collection agency. I then asked for how much (no answer) and I pointed out that as I am in dispute it will have to go to court anyway.

He then asked me how much I could pay to clear the account i asked how much they would accept "i am not going to get into an auction" he said.

So I will phone tommorrow and offer a pound or see you in court.

They knew exactly what I meant when I talked about charges and I can't wait untill the LBA.

cheers

andyace

(5% just wait and see)

cheers

andyace

Just an update, been busy this weekend with a wedding and a sporting event. I have just put my LBA in the envelope tonight it will be sent special delivery tomorrow. I didn't phone Citi back because I couldn't be bothered, anyway I will see them in court either way. Its a shame that they wont default and take me to court cos a counter claim would be an interesting defence.

I will keep you posted on developments.

cheers

andyace

( still on for 5% )

cheers

andyace

• 2 weeks later...

Well I recieved a reply to my LBA today offering me a partial settlement. They have refunded £338 to my account which represents the difference between the OFT figure of £12 and their £25 charge.:mad::mad::mad::mad:

One paragraph reads

"I have refunded this amount to your account and I consider this to be a final resolution to this matter. In the event that you reject this offer and litigate the matter then please be aware that we will rely upon this offer in any court hearing as being fair in all the circumstances given that the OFT did did itself agree that default charges are fair in principle"

Now given that the OFT say a figure of £12 should be a maximum but not actualy be a fair reflection of their costs, it seems that they have taken the £12 as gospel.

Obviously I am rejecting this offer: should I now write back and tell them or just go to court.I was thinking of asking what their true costs are then offering to settle on the difference of the £625 and their actual costs.

Anyway nearly there on this one.

If any mods are reading this can you add "partial settlement" to my thread title.

Cheers

Andyace

(5% of £338 is not enough, sorry)

cheers

andyace

Here is my reply let me know what you think.

Dear, Mr. O’Conner

ACCOUNT NUMBER:

Thank you for your letter regarding my request for the refund of charges levied on the above account. I am pleased that you have responded in principle to the request but were unable refund the full amount, or complete the closure of the account.

As you are aware the OFT have stated that charges of this nature are not unreasonable for breaches of account conditions but should only be set at an amount to cover any costs incurred. The £12 figure suggested by the OFT should be a maximum but is not necessarily a fair amount.

I am prepared to accept £338 as a partial settlement repayment of charges and will continue with any action that I feel necessary to reach a satisfactory conclusion to my request.

However if you can provide me with a breakdown of the costs incurred to you in respect of overlimit and late payment fees and can demonstrate that they are a true reflection of your losses, I will reconsider any action in respect of recovery through the County Court.

I look forward to your reply.

Yours sincerely

cheers

andyace

(5% of that amount is not good enough)

cheers

andyace

RESULT

Havent had a reply to my LBA yet ,they got the letter on Monday. But I thought I would phone and check my balance after the offer of a partial refund. Guess what I am in credit by 46 pence and they are going to send me a cheque for that amount. That I can tell you will be in a frame on my wall.

So I recon I should get a letter tomorrow.

Thats £650 of debt gone for the cost of £12, thank you very much for all the help. So £650 X 5% = £35 in my book. I will send that on Tuesday (payday).:):):):):):)

cheers

andyace

Cheque for 46 pence arrived today. Still no letter regarding my refund,but as they have refunded the amount I am in credit I will consider the matter closed.

Thanks again for all your help 5% on it's way next Tuesday.

LBA to Alliance and Leicester on Monday.

KEEP ON KEEPING ON:):):):):)

cheers

andyace

I have had my settlement from these but I have question. I have had a look at my credit report from a well known agency and its not good. I am not too interested in getting any more credit but they show me as missing 6 payments one after the other which looks bad. The whole balance was made up of their charges and they have paid this back. Is it to late to ask for any adverse info to be removed from the file.

cheers

andyace

• 2 weeks later...

It's not too late, no. Having information removed is another fight for you, but it might be achievable. However, late payment marks, whilst not pleasing, are relatively minor if the rest of your credit files are generally in good order.

If you start a claim, you will have to base it on the DPA - have a read of it, in particular section 14. It's in the library section.

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

Thanks for that my credit ref is shot to bits big time, I just want to get rid of these debts.This is the refund that really lifted a weight of my shoulders and I have learned a valuable lesson about debt.:):):):)

cheers

andyace

I have finally got a letter today informing me that my account is now closed. They even said how sorry they were to lose me as a customer, not as sorry as I was to actually be one of their customers.

So bye bye Citicard you won't be missed.

cheers

andyace

• 12 years later...

This topic was closed on 10 March 2019.

If you have a problem which is similar to the issues raised in this topic, then please start a new thread and you will get help and support there.

If you would like to post up some information which is relevant to this particular topic then please flag the issue up to the site team and the thread will be reopened.

- Consumer Action Group

cheers

andyace

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6510 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks