Help - Brothers Claim

doo
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6114 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Am about to send off SAR to Abbey for my brother, have also just found out he has all his statements except for a 3 month period. Am thinking that I will still send off SAR but that we can actually make a start on his claim, will do spreadsheet and send off prelim letter in the hope that we will have the extra information by the time we file court action. Any thoughts on this?

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Doo - make it payable to Abbey National plc.

I never had to wait for the SAR - but what you have suggested seems sensible. Are the 3 months that are missing quite recent? It seems that Abbey will use the microfiche argument as a reason for not producing older statements. But keep at them. I know some that have used an estimate for the missing months - which is an option.

Best of Luck - Jackie

Abbey: Settled - now for no. 2

Dudley Building Society : claim dismissed - no costs

London Scottish: settled in full :oops:

Capital One - settled in full :p

"Energy and persistence conquer all things" Benjamin Franklin

Any advice, information and thoughts given by me are just my humble opinion

Thanks for that, hopefully will see brother next week to do his spreadsheet. When I spoke to him today he has added charges to over 4,000, he has said on abbey statements they lump the charge sum together on page 1 for that month. As I am working blind at the moment is this correct, if so when you have done your spreadsheet do you just enter this amount. On all other spreadsheets I have done for halifax and cap one I entered every single one separately. Perhaps you can explain this to me.

Guest louis wu

Abbey are a bit devious with statements, especially the 'older' copies.

Yes there is a summery on page 1, that lists each specific charge. This is the 'we will let you know in advance of charges......' bit. The specific entries appear either 1 or 2 statements later.

Now with regards to copies, the page 1 summery doesn't allways exist, so you have to go through each entry.

As to the spreadsheet, technically, the charges 'leave' the account when the y physically appear on the staement, although I have no idea if Abbey are bothered which date you use.

Hope this helps

Louis

Yes thanks, am not at all familiar with Abbey and just want to be prepared for weekend when hopefully I will get his statements. Just to make sure I have this right then, ignore the summary as these charges will appear on later statements, just put these ones in spready. When they do appear on your statement are the charges entered separately or added together as a lump. If they are lumped togther is this how you enter them onto spready.

Guest louis wu

I entered them all seperately, it takes a while, but if you itemise them all there can be no argument later. Also, they will be for varying amounts and reasons, so keep them seperate to make it easier to keep track of.

Louis

• 2 weeks later...

louiswu, thanks for advice on statements, made complete sense.Anyway spreadsheet all done. Am getting prelim letter done and will send off to brother to post on for next week. As we have 3 months of statements missing I am hoping to get these back before court stage, the missing statements are from 2001. I thought I saw somewhere on this site (but cannot for the life of me find it now) a slightly different prelim letter that you sent off 14 days after sending off SAR so that by the time 40 days are up you would have received all statements, does anyone know where it is.

Guest louis wu

Doo,

glad ithe statements worked out ok.

Been racking my brains about the sars question, and don't think I've seen anything like it (but that doesn't mean there isn't one).

I do know people have reported Abbey to the Information commisioner (I did), but honestly don't know what good that does. I also remember reading a thread where court action was taken to get all the statements, if I remember Abbey never turned up and the judge ruled against them.

Having said all that, just found this

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/bank-templates-library/6986-data-protection-act-non.html

Hope this helps

Louis

Louis, thanks for that, prelim will be sent next week, just keeping fingers crossed statements come down in the 40 day period, should just about work out ok. Are there any claims that get paid out at the end of the LBA stage (ie just before you put your court claim in)?

Guest louis wu

Reading the threads, it would appear not many with Abbey.

To be honest, I think they are so snowed under with claims, that they just can't keep up. Not defending them, it just shows how contemptuously they are treating this issue, and rather than increase resources to keep up, are just muddling through with what they've got.

I suppose the point I am making is, they will let it go the full distance before paying....but pay they will.

Louis

Ok louis thanks again, let battle commence then, brother needs this money back desperately - in v.bad health and can't get work at the moment, things are really tough. Shame he doesn't bank with Halifax, they pay out before court action.

louis, visited the link you put on here and that is exactly what I was looking for - just could not remember where I had seen it, big thank you.

• 3 weeks later...

OK, first year of statements received. Am only really waiting on 3 months that are missing, hence I started claim. BUT prelim was sent recorded on 17th March and to date it has not arrived, PO are treating it as a delayed item but after 15 days a missing item. Now do I just presume it is delivered or should I send in another prelim and schedule of charges, really did not want to delay this claim.

Guest louis wu

Good old royal mail.

I was in a similar position (nothing to do with bank charges) and waited until it was finally confirmed as missing.

I suppose if it was me, I'd send another. If the first copy turns up, then happy days, if not at least you've not wasted too much time.

Louis

One of my letters was delayed and is now officially missing and the Post Office are looking into it! While the item was delayed I took 2 copies of the letter into my local brance and asked the branch staff to sign and date stamp both letters, they put one in the internal post and the other I kept as proof of delivery! I'd still be waiting if I'd trusted that the original letter would arrive!

Hope this helps!

louis and knelly, thanks, have printed out prelim letter again and schedule and charges, will be going in post today, good idea about taking into branch as well.

Has anyone else had this problem - sent preliminary letters to the address in the stickys and neither one has arrived. Royal Mail have said the postcode should be BD1 4YR and not the one used below. Can anyone confirm this please.

Anthony Turbitt

Manager

Banking Services

PO Box 297

Bradford

BD1 1BR

Guest louis wu

I must admit I dont know the address you are using, but it would appear to be a problem.

I would always stick to the head office for all correspondense

Abbey

Abbey National House

2 Triton Square

London

NW1 3AN

Hope this helps

Louis

Thanks louis for replying so quick, got the address from the stickys, it said address for prelim and LBA, oh well never mind will have to start again. I don't suppose abbey are accepting letters and spreadys sent by e-mail?

Guest louis wu

I know its been debated, and I have considered it myself, but always came back to recorded delivery (this is only the 21st century after all;-)).

I think the argument against, is getting it to the correst person, yes in theory its the same with the post, but a good old fashioned post room is tried and tested.

Louis