Letters To Private Parking Companies... A suggestion

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5584 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I've been reading a few threads and looking at the wording of letters people send to private parking companies. I'm concerned by something I see that may only appear minor but could have more far reaching implications.

The fact is we know these tickets are a huge [problem]. They are unlawful, unenforceable and collected by lies on the back of lies and perperuated by deception and malpractice.

Thus, when we write to them and when we deal with them we are in the right. Ipso facto we are in the position of strength. Let's make that clear to them when we tell them things.

Thus when I read that people are saying things like "I respectfully request you cancel your ticket" I think to myself, why are you asking them?

This leaves the letter open to the interpretation that the sender is uncertain and that this is a mere enquiry/request/plea for mercy.

Let's stop this now. From now on it would do to tell these companies something along the lines of-

"I see your charge as unlawful, uneforceable and I am not liable. I will not be providing any payment and your continued pursuit of this matter will constitute an offence under the Protection From Harassment Act 1997. I consider the matter closed and am explicitly instructing you not to contact me again for any reason."

Then there's no question that you're telling them exactly where to go and what they can do with their big ideas when they get there.

Don't give the vultures even a hint that you're uncertain or that you're asking them for anything. You're in the right and these letters are sent to these companies to tell them the way it is and that this way is not open to negotiation. Weakness is not something that is advisable to show in any way. It is always best to be polite and courteous but it is possible to so be while being firm and uncompromising. The good old British tone of polite uncertainty has no place in these dealings. This is a confrontationa affair, no matter how nicely the letters may be worded. It would do to act accordingly.

I appreciate this sounds like a hard line but the fact is that these vultures make their living on the back of taking advantage of weakness. The weakness of people who pay up out of fear of reprisals and fear through not knowing any better. If the general public was aware that the private parking industry is effectively profiting through ignorance alone (because they are not lawfully entitled to the VAST majority of their income from private invoices left on vehicles) then it would be no time at all before the industry was a)forced to reconsider it's mode of business and b) a great many of these companies went under. Being confronted and being TOLD (not asked) are things they respond to because these things are not the norm for them. If you're reading this forum you're not ignorant of the legal position, it's stated repeatedly by people who have researched it and practiced it. You this knowledge and let it be known by strength of language and clarity of position that the parking company can, effectively, 'poke it'.

Pete

Litigation –

Lloyds TSB – Won (x2)

Barclays – Won

Abbey – Won

Welcome Finance – Won

Capital One – Won

AS Securi-T (as an advisor) – Won (x2)

Barclaycard – Ongoing

Lloyds TSB Credit Card – Ongoing

Experian – Ongoing

Ebay - Ongoing

Barclays (DPA issues) - Ongoing

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"I see your charge as unlawful, uneforceable and I am not liable. I will not be providing any payment and your continued pursuit of this matter will constitute an offence under the Protection From Harassment Act 1997. I consider the matter closed and am explicitly instructing you not to contact me again for any reason."

Then there's no question that you're telling them exactly where to go and what they can do with their big ideas when they get there.

I would add "...except to confirm that the matter is now closed" At least you then get closure rather than worrying about a county court summons for the next 6 years or DCA action; which although unlawful will still involve further letter writing etc.

I see nothing wrong with being icily polite as opposes to ranting, or being downright rude.

Remember, it is the company that you are having a go at, not the poor girl opening the post.

Remember, it is the company that you are having a go at, not the poor girl opening the post.

The girl opening the post should have gone to work for someone else! If you work in a business you know is detested by pretty much everyone in the whole world who owns a car then you have to expect to take some stick.

Litigation –

Lloyds TSB – Won (x2)

Barclays – Won

Abbey – Won

Welcome Finance – Won

Capital One – Won

Barclaycard – Ongoing

Experian – Ongoing

Ebay - Ongoing

The girl opening the post should have gone to work for someone else! If you work in a business you know is detested by pretty much everyone in the whole world who owns a car then you have to expect to take some stick.

It may be the only job available for the poor girl.

It is the fat cats running these scams that need taking to task. Being rude or ranting at lowly employees of the company is not on - the Harassment Act works both ways.

It does, but giving the person who reads the mail at the PPC a harsh dose of reality backed by law is a far cry from sending people letters threatening this that and the other from what purports to be an official body.

Who is this girl we're talking about anyhow?

Litigation –

Lloyds TSB – Won (x2)

Barclays – Won

Abbey – Won

Welcome Finance – Won

Capital One – Won

Barclaycard – Ongoing

Experian – Ongoing

Ebay - Ongoing

how do we know it is a girl ?

It's not a girl. It's a hairy arsed middle aged man who likes to bully people and is cheating on his wife.

Suddenly those harsh letters seem ok again.

Amazing how silly sterotypes can soften people's approaches.

Who cares who the mailroom worker is? These companies rip people off and telling them firmly that it's not on the cards is ok, regardless of who opens the mail. Jesus, Pat, the issues eh?

Litigation –

Lloyds TSB – Won (x2)

Barclays – Won

Abbey – Won

Welcome Finance – Won

Capital One – Won

Barclaycard – Ongoing

Experian – Ongoing

Ebay - Ongoing

• 2 months later...

UK Parking Control Ltd (UKPC Ltd)

Unfair treatment by Private Parking Enforcement schemes.

Hi to everyone and a big thanks for all the advice regarding private car park fines which has given me the strength to fight for my innocence and hopefully to help others in the same situation as me. I was at a loss to find help on the internet and glad I found this website.

I am determined to now stop these unscrupulous crooks from extorting ludicrous sums of money from innocent motorists and am asking for anyone who has had unfair parking notices issued by UKPC Ltd to urgently please write in either to this forum, the British Parking Association (BPA), or your MP for help. You are not alone and the more people that write in to complain, the better.

Just wondered if you guys knew that The British Parking Association (BPA) http://www.britishparking.co.uk/index.php?path=1,240 has just recently been given the responsibility of being the only parking organisation with official DVLA accreditation and is looking at initiatives to prevent motorists receiving high-priced, unregulated tickets. From October 2007, the DVLA will release vehicle registration information only to those companies which are members of an Accredited Trade Association. Members that do not comply with the terms of their Code could have their BPA membership initially suspended, and possibly terminated. Basically the more people that inform the BPA of breaches in the code by private parking companies (in particulary UKPC Ltd) the more chance the company will be investigated. Without access to Reg keeper/owner information from the DVLA, the company can not operate.

How many of you know that under new BPA Code guidelines, standard charges for a parking ticket issued on private land should not exceed £75, and the maximum charge shall not exceed £150. UKPC Ltd charge £85 and £170 if not paid within 14 days. There is a list of BPA codes that members must adhere to and I suggest you study each case to see if there has been a breach. Check out BPA's Code for yourselves.

Good Luck

Guardian Angel

PS….Did you also know that commission is paid from UKPC Ltd to their clients (McDonalds in my case) with every successful notice served and paid under their warden patrol service? UKPC Ltd freely advertise this commission on their website: http://www.ukparkingcontrol.com/wardenpatrol.aspx

What a very good source for generating an extra stream of income for McDonalds, especially when customers are wrongly ticketed for eating in their restaurants?

GA

Their letter would be a good one to produce at court (if they ever took you that far, which I doubt):D

Watchdog did feature a clamping/parking company quite recently, and I believe they have featured a few over the years, but the main issue is over the penalties they ALL charge. This would have to be tackled at a highish level to get something done, and relying on a industry body is pointless, especially as they encourage their members to issue these penalties.

The best we can do here is to raise awareness of these cowboys and their activities. They rely on people not knowing their rights which ensures they are effectively frightened into paying up. The more people who know about them and how to fight them, the less money they will make, and hopefully it will drive some of them out of business.

My effort is below. My 'offence' was when shopping at a retail park I walked over the road to post a letter. Apparently 'Leaving the Site' was against the rules even though it wasn't mentioned on the notices, which I had checked.

I'm half hoping they take me to court, though I'd be less pleased to have a Phil Mitchel-alike turn up on my doorstep. Has anyone though of counter-suing these [problematic]?

Thanks to everyone on this site, btw, I was being pressured to pay before I read your posts.

UKPC

PO Box 492

Iver Bucks

RE: Parking Charge notice xxxxxxxxxx

Registation xxxxxxxx

Date 03/04/2007

Dear UKPC

With reference to the ‘Final Reminder’ you sent to my wife yesterday, about your so-called ‘Charge Certificate’ or invoice as it is more commonly known in non-toytown pretend legalese, you obviously have ignored the last letter sent to you on this matter so let me spell it out again. You are not getting a penny.

Firstly, let’s look at your fraudulent claim that as the keeper of the vehicle, ‘Liability for the Parking Charge Lies with You’, as you no doubt are aware, if the keeper of the vehicle was not driving said vehicle at the time of the alleged contravention they have not entered into a contract with you at any time and are not liable for anything, except laughter at your clumsy attempts to bully them into paying an unlawful charge.

Secondly, your failure to acknowledge corresponence, and your threats of legal action and Debt Recovery Agentcies amount to harassment under Section 40 of the Administration of Justice Act 1970 which is a criminal act and should my wife receive any further threats or demands from you or anything other than a letter saying your trumped-up, fabricated, ludicrous pursuit of money not rightfully yours has been dropped, I will have no hesitation in taking the matter to the police.

Yours faithfully,

LET'S JOIN FORCES TO FIGHT THESE CROOKS

I'm trying my best with all the contacts I've got and they are looking into things at a higher level than we can....will keep you posted..that's all I can disclose for now!!!

We all need to stand together in this and get a petition of cases between us all so we can present it when the time comes and produce it as hard evidence.

What we need at the moment is some kind of site that will attract people to write in with their details, including those who had been bullied into paying up through their threats. This blackmailing is going on up and down the country.

For the mo Deafsteve I think this site might help convince you that UKPC Ltd will not go as far as court...they could lose everything if the judge decides against them. It will only take one case to be ruled against them and these guys will be out of business before you could blink. Ask your self Would they risk so much just for one fine?

Judge warns 'unreasonable' banks BBC NEWS | Business | Judge warns 'unreasonable' banks

Its exactly the same .....

Any ideas how we can set up something to get to the public-I'm not a computer buff?

GA

:cool:I was thinking the same -sue them for compensation and then get them to pay back thousands of pounds to people who were unfairly fined-they'd be bankrupt in seconds. Can you imagine how many people would want their money back?

Been doing loads of research today and was sent this: www.parkingappeals.co.uk which is launching in a few days. Neil Herron, the guy behind it did a great article in the newspaper a couple of years ago-look this up as well:

http://neilherron.blogspot.com/2005/10/rebellion-grows.html#c113025228516239292

I'm hoping he's gonna do what we were talking about -a one-stop site that will gather enough cases to come forward and get it to a higher level..let's wait a couple of days and view his site... you could always email Neil at metricmartyrs@btconnect.com

The press seems keen on running a follow-up article and will need people to speak up - how do we get to all the others on this forum to join in?

Let me know what you think

GA

Was very interested in reading your comments. Maybe you could advise me. I parked in a private car park in Leeds last month and received a ticket for not being parked Wholly within a bay. The ticket was for £60. I wrote to the company and complained at this money making racket and I did not want to pay. They wrote back saying if I did not pay within 10 days then they would add £3 per day in costs and instruct a debt collection company to retrieve the money. I don;t admitting I was worried and agreed to pay the fine at £10 per month. I was worried I would end up with hundreds of pounds to pay and baliffs at the door.

Can they get away with this and can you suggest any further course of action.

Regards

Joanna

Success at last

Thanks guys I've followed the advice written on various posts regarding private car parks.

I today got a letter from UKPC Ltd stating they have reviewed my parking notice and arranged for it to be cancelled!!! They even apologised ........great for me.....but that's not good enough for all you guys out there still fighting and still worrying about these crooks extorting money from you illegally. I'm determined to get justice for everyone who's been unfairly caught up in these scams and will do my best to take it as high as possible and get this company investigated so it doesn't happen to anyone else ever again. Watch this spot!!!!

All I can suggest is to please write to your MP's, the DTI, BPA and the DVLA and enclose all correspondence...more and more people should stick up for their rights and not be bullied by these fraudulent threats. There are new laws coming out now to help us. Look at this site http://www.landor.co.uk/parkingreview/images/bill2.pdf this confirms basically everything we are saying -the way most of these companies operate are illegal and will be stamped out.

Let me know if you need any help and in the meantime will keep you all posted!!!

GA xxx

Hi Jojo

Is it a Council run car park or private?

What is the name of the parking company?

Did they put a notice on your car at the time?

Are there signs(go and photograph them) stating you must park wholly in a bay and the consequence if you don't?

What evidence have they got of the car not parked properly in a bay?

Have they stated in writing the extra daily £3 interest they will charge?

GA

• 3 weeks later...

Hi - Sorry for delay in replying.

This is a private carpark by the name of UK P.A.O. Ltd based in Leeds. They did put a ticket on the car and there are signs around the car park and I think it did say about the car being wholly within a bay but it;s a big 4x4 pick up that belongs to my partner and I always park over the line abit to stop people parking next to me and leaving dents on the door! They sent me a photo showing how the car was parked. And finally yes they have put in writing that the £3 a day interest will be applied. I'd agreed to pay them £10 a month but I'm thinking of telling them where to go. What do you think?

Thanks Jo

Jojo,

If this was a free car park then the damages they can claim for are zero. Can you confirm if it is a free car park, and also how much you have paid them to date?

As for their "£3 a day interest", it is laughable!! They really are trying it on.