Bailiffs turning up with no previous notice of CCJ

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6588 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I heard this second-hand from my wife so some facts may be missing, but I need some adice on what notice should have been given at what stages.

My brother-in-law was apparently pulled over a while ago for having those chavvy blue lights on his car. The police said they would let him off this time, not to do it again etc...(no other witnesses in the car I believe)

So yesterday bailiffs turn up at his house (he lives with his mum and he was out at work) asking for about £350. They had a court judgement and it sounds like the police did prosecute and enforced the fine. The bailiffs turning up was the first notice he'd had since the pulling over (he says anyway).

They got hold of mis mobile number from someone at the house and calle dhim at work asking for payment. He said he didn't have the money available and anyway he was at work.

His mum eventually paid the fine as she knows that bailiffs add charges for every visit etc.

Now I think, ignoring what the police said when they pulled him over, he should have at least had -

A notice of impending court action with an option to defend

Notice of the (presumably) default judgement

Notice from the bailiffs before they attend (I checked the law - it's 7 days)

An option to pay back in installments when they attended (not sure if this was offered though.

Can anyone confirm any of this? I'm frankly dubious about the police letting him off, and to be fair I don't know for certain that he didn't recieve any notification - he has a habit of ignoring debts. But I promised his mum I'd look into it so any advice is welcome.

If you found this post useful please click on the scales above.

Egg - £400 - Prelim sent. On hold.

Mint - On the list Est £800

GE Capital - On the list (3 accounts!) Est £4000

MBNA - £545 Prelim sent 13/11/2006

LBA sent 1/12/2006

£350 partial payment received 18/12/2006.

Full settlement received 20/1/07

NatWest - Est £4000 not incl interest

Data Protection Act Sent 10/1/07

Statements received 24/1/07

Prelim sent 3/2/07

Full Settlement received 22/2/07

The contents of this post are the sole opinions of The Cornflake and not necessarily the opinions of any other members of this group. They do not constitute sound legal or financial advice and if in doubt you are advised to seek advice from a qualified professional

I would tend to go along with your gut feelings in this - the story certainly does not hold together.

One thing that does seriously worry me is that a bailiff would call over a police/criminal matter. In the case of non-payment of a fine, the police would be calling to arrest the individual - not a bailiff!

Alan, Derby, UK.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Sorry, but I cannot deal with your case by PM - please ask questions in your own thread. If you do not get a reply within 48 hours send a PM, with a link to the relevant thread, to any Site Team Member.

DO NOT SEND QUESTIONS ABOUT YOUR CLAIM TO ADMIN, or our WEBMASTER - YOU WILL NOT RECEIVE A REPLY.

Advice given is purely my opinion, and is not based on any legal training.

If the police had prosecuted, your brother in law would have had a conviction and a fine, not a county court judgement. Non-payment of fines are dealt with by issuing warrants to arrest the non-payer. There's no bailiff involvement.

It sounds to me as though this is something else completely - maybe a parking ticket penalty?

Sounds to me like a [problem] artist - i.e. a criminal offence...

That was my first thought, but then how did they know about the incident with the lights on the car??? And they apparently had a pice of paper from the court although that could have easily been fake.

LBA sent 1/12/2006

Prelim sent 3/2/07

The contents of this post are the sole opinions of The Cornflake and not necessarily the opinions of any other members of this group. They do not constitute sound legal or financial advice and if in doubt you are advised to seek advice from a qualified professional

• 12 years later...

This topic was closed on 10 March 2019.

If you have a problem which is similar to the issues raised in this topic, then please start a new thread and you will get help and support there.

If you would like to post up some information which is relevant to this particular topic then please flag the issue up to the site team and the thread will be reopened.

- Consumer Action Group

LBA sent 1/12/2006

Prelim sent 3/2/07

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6588 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks