Lost Rotary Watch

Trollsicles
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4866 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I currently have a problem with Rotary (the watch company) and am not sure what I should expect or do in this ssituation. I'm hoping that someone might be able to offer some advice...

Here is the story.

I have had my Rotary watch for 10 years this month and a few problems had occurred with it. (I won't go into detail as it's not so important). After contacting Rotary they advised me to send them my watch well packaged and they would let me know the cost of the repairs.

I sent it well packaged, special delivery with Royal Mail and was advised that the repairs would cost just over £70.

Now, I do realise that this is a lot of money for repairs to a watch 10 years old but it was of sentimental value to me, so I told them to go ahead. They took the money for the repairs and now almost 3 weeks later there is still no sign of my watch.

I have been in contact with Rotary who have told me that it has been posted recorded delivery, but it has now been lost in Royal Mail's care.

They have told me that they will chase it up and in the meantime are going to send me a new watch, but my question is am I within my rights to ask for a refund on the repairs carried out because the watch has now gone missing and with the £70 I have paid, I have in effect paid for the new watch which I am going to be sent, which I did not want in the first place.

I hope that makes sense, and I'm hoping that someone can suggest something, as I'm not very confrontational but I don't believe I should have to pay for something I have not received (especially when I posted it to them Special Delivery and they only posted it back to me recorded).

Thanks in advance to all!

Trollsicles xx

Ordered Statements: 06/10/06

Statements Received: 11/10/06

Prelim letter posted: 11/10/06

Standard Reply Received: 19/10/06

LBA posted: 25/10/06

MCOL filed 09/11/06

Offer of Part payment letter received 09/11/06

Rejection letter sent to Barclays 13/11/06

Amendments sent to MCOL 21/11/06

Sealed claim received from MCOL 25/01/07

Claim received by Barclays 29/01/07

2 weeks to defend - deadline 13/02/07

PS. Just ignore the signature!

MCOL filed 09/11/06

I currently have a problem with Rotary (the watch company) and am not sure what I should expect or do in this ssituation. I'm hoping that someone might be able to offer some advice...

I don't know the legalities; and I'm not sure if they would help, anyway.

You have been deprived of one of your belongings of sentimental value; and nothing anyone does can undo that (unless the post people find it, of course.)

You do not want the replacement watch; so by all means write and tell them that, or send it back.

I expect you also want some redress for the watch being lost ... is there anything the company could do which you would accept as being a reasonable attempt by them to address the issue? For example, if they were to refund the cost of repair, and pay you something to compensate for the loss of a sentimental item, would that seem to you to be as good as they could do?

Tim

In my opinion Rolex have acted negligently by not sending such an item special delivery rather than recorded - in fact it is bloody stupid frankly not to send such a high value item special delivery!

What would you actually like from them? Assuming that you cannot get your original watch back? What is the value of the watch?

7 years in retail customer service

Expertise in letting and rental law for 6 years

By trade - I'm an IT engineer working in the housing sector.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Please click the star if I have helped!!

The watch was a present 10 years ago and it cost £100 back then so I'm not sure what the equivalent would be now.

I also think they acted terribly by sending it only recorded just to save a few pounds.

What I would like, and I don't think it is unreasonable to ask for is a refund on the repairs I have paid for, and if they want to send me a new watch aswell, then that is fine. Obviously it won't be the same as my lost watch but surely it is up to Rotary to sort this mess out.

I have been in contact with the head of the repairs department, who does not want to refund the costs I have paid.

Where should I go from here?

MCOL filed 09/11/06

I paid for the repairs on a debit card and they were very quick to take the money out but I'm still waiting to hear anything more from them..

I'm almost tempted to just ask for a refund and not have a new watch because it won't mean anything to me anyway.

MCOL filed 09/11/06

It's a shame this has happened, and they could be deemed to be negligent, as whilst there is no issue that they will not cover your loss, the SD service provides security of transit - and the sentimental value of it is better protected. Your £70 was to pay for the repair and return, not a replacement watch, but even if you demanded a refund, you are still without a watch - and it is this I feel is unsatrisfactory.

Thanks Buzby, what would you suggest I do from here then because they are not being so helpful now and I haven't had a reply from the lady dealing with the issue as to when I will receive a new watch and nothing has been said about a refund for the repairs I have paid for.

MCOL filed 09/11/06

To be fair - you really can't expect to get a free replacement watch AND the repair fee back. They'll look at it as they got a watch, repaired it and it was lost on the return, so you're only entitled to a working watch which you WOULD have had if the PO hadn't lost it!

The issue is the fact they returned it in an inapporpriate way for its value. What price you put on the sentimentality will not match theirs, but the pragmatic approach would be to accept the replacmenet in good faith, and transfer the sentimentality to that....

Thanks again Buzby,

It's difficult to know what to expect from them, I just didn't want to get a bad deal after they have caused so much inconvenience already.

I have just received an email from a different person at Rotary who has told me I may have to wait up to 3 weeks to get a replacement while they process the claim with royal mail. Not brilliant service really.

I have looked on Royal Mails website and an item is not deemed missing until a month after it was delivered, so it looks like they will be waiting for their £32 payout (that's the most you can claim for recorded items) and then will replace the watch.

More waiting now.......

MCOL filed 09/11/06

That's brilliant, thanks for that info Russellhq!

MCOL filed 09/11/06

OK, the ball has been in Rotary`s court for almost 5 weeks now and I have had no update or communication since they told me it could take another 3 weeks to sort out a new watch.

Im getting really fed up with waiting so am going to contact their Head Office and see if I get anywhere that way or at least a bit quicker.

It`s taking so long that I feel they are trying to make a fool out of me.

MCOL filed 09/11/06

• 3 weeks later...

Have received a replacement watch after sending a letter to the operations director but nothing on a refund. I have since been in touch with the OFT who advised me I was entitled to a refund and should write quoting the Supply of service and goods act, so I have sent that today

MCOL filed 09/11/06

• 3 years later...
Have received a replacement watch after sending a letter to the operations director but nothing on a refund. I have since been in touch with the OFT who advised me I was entitled to a refund and should write quoting the Supply of service and goods act, so I have sent that today

Hi, glad you appear to have bottomed out you complaint. You might see my rather similar story (as regards poor service). Maybe I have been directing my unhappiness to the wrong part of the organisation. Do you have an address for the `operations director'?

thanks