Employer unfairly docking wages

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6323 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

This isn't about me, but I'm sure it happens to low paid workers all over the country, so thought I'd open it up for debate.

A guy in the bagel shop near me told me if he was 5 minutes late for work then an hour's pay gets docked from his wages.

Surely this can't be lawful? It's very similar to bank charges in that it's disproportionate and quite obviously a penalty? And coz a contract's been signed it's assumed to the unquestioning to be fair.

I suggested if he's 5 mins late just wait 55 minutes and then clock in, but he said if he's more than 15 minutes late 3 times then it's instant dismissal. This is a small chain btw, not some greasy cafe.

"Be reasonable, demand the impossible"

Does seem extreme!

I know that if my o/h is one minute late he loses fifteen minutes and on the odd occassion this has happened, he has, as you suggested, not bothered clocking in til the fifteenth minute.

But a whole hour?!?!?!

Halifax settled

Halifax (again) settled

Nationwide settled

Natwest settled

Don't forget to donate to this site, they gave us the backbone to put up a fight, we've learnt how to reclaim our rights and proved banks are all nothing but........ rubbish <wink>

A guy in the bagel shop near me told me if he was 5 minutes late for work then an hour's pay gets docked from his wages..

If this is a one off late, than its a bit harsh, but if this guy is persistently late, then i think he can't argue.

Actually, i employ a lot of staff on contracts as part of my business. this must be stated as part of his contract of employment i.e. he will only be paid for full hours worked. Even then, I cannot guarantee this contract is legal.

His rights are to be treated in a manner which complies with disciplinary procedures, so he should have been interviewd about this, with the option of colleague/union rep/appropriate adult etc. present and then given something in writing to follow this discussion.

If he believes this is going to lead to his dismissal, perhaps I can suggest ACAS?

However, i do know how annoying it is to have consistently late staff and perhaps your friend should take a bit of responsibility and buy an alarm clock! ;-)

All help is merely my opinion only - please seek legal advice if you need to as I am only qualified in SEN law.