TV Licensing

Derfel
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6310 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I am a uni student living in halls of residence, I don't watch TV at uni - it's my free choice, I thought.

Around about November time I received a threatening letter telling me that I need a TV licence. The letter assumes I watch TV. It uses threatening language. It says in an unspecific manner that someone will be around to visit my room, and that I could be taken to court. But then it says if I don't watch TV, I should write to them, or phone them on an 0870 number. Fat chance I'm going to expend cost/effort in saving them a job after they've been so rude to me.

I just received another letter dated "January 2007" stating "OFFICIAL WARNING". I can't help taking exception when people write letters to me in big capital letters, in underlined bold red 72pt font, patronisingly implying that I give any other choice of lettering less of my attention. Or is it designed to frighten me? But in this letter, it says if I inform them I don't watch TV, they'll arrange a visit to check.

Politeness doesn't cost a thing. If they gave some quick and free way for me to inform them I don't watch TV, and said "please accept our apologies if ...", etc, etc. But no, that's not how it works.

So I'm wondering do I actually have any obligation to tell them I don't watch TV, and if they do come visiting do I have any obligation to let them in? Is there any way I can have some fun with this?

There's a TV in my room, it's the university's property though, accommodation services told me to unplug it and take the aerial lead out, which I have done. It might be worth me getting that in writing though.

Ladybird, I said in my post that it is the university's property. It is not mine to sell.

It was there when I moved in to my room, there is one in every room in the hall. I told them to take it out but they said all I need to do is unplug it.

Congrats on being able to ignore the tv.

Read somwhere that you need to detune the channels to be legit. TV license site? Then you can't be accused of just pulling the arial when they turn up.

Alternatively eat TV quickly when they appear. Be carefull not to leave the cord and plug hanging from your mouth. Thats always a givaway for trying to swallow a TV quickly.:D

He didn't come looking for trouble, but trouble came looking for him.

When the smoke clears, it just means he's reloading.

Derfel, why would you "want to have fun" with this?

You either pay the TV licence fee or you don't. If you say you don't watch TV but have a TV in your room that's the uni's property, show them the admin department the threatening letter and ask for it to be removed or else they will have to forfeit the cost of the licence fee.

If you think paying for a first class stamp or telephoning them is far too much money to pay out of your student money, then use the internet at your college and email them. Or if you like them to waste more trees by writing to you regarding this matter then do nothing.

Simple.

There is no obligation on you to advise you DON'T have a TV (and therefore not require a licence), but if you do, there is. These letters will continue in a similar manner EVERY month until you respond. I've a collection of 48 of them so far. You'll laso note they do not name you specifically, usually 'The Legal Occupier' this is because by stating this, they get round requests to stop junk mail. I'd be wary of having the TV in youre room, irrespective of whether it is unplugged or detuned. The offence is 'being in possetion of, NOT 'watching'. So the uni should assist in keeping it safe elsewhere.

If you really want to have 'fun' with them borrow someones dvd player or games console and tell the tv license people that you have a tv but only use it to watch dvds/play games, something that you are perfectly allowed to do without a license. The upshot of this is that they have to come check out your story. I personally would just ignore them but its your choice.

Am I correct in saying that there is no legal right for a TV Licensing official to enter your property to check? Of course they could look through a window and catch you that way - bit hard if you live on the 4th floor of a student digs.

23/05/06 DPA Sent to Halifax

I Love You All :D

Yes. They cannot force entry, and you have every right to refuse them entry. However, a TV set does not have to be in use for an offence to be committed - seeing one through a window is enough to enable a prosecution. It would then be up to the resident to prove that the TV in use was unable to receive transmissions over-the-air. Removal of an aerial or detuning the tuner would not be sufficient.

An electronics engineer friend of mine says that under the Geneva Convention one cannot legally be prevented from receiving news broadcasts and do not need to be licenced to do so.

This of course may be rubbish, I know not - wonder if anyone has access to a legal library to check it out?

An electronics engineer friend of mine says that under the Geneva Convention one cannot legally be prevented from receiving news broadcasts and do not need to be licenced to do so.

This of course may be rubbish, I know not - wonder if anyone has access to a legal library to check it out?

He's never been a P.O.W. I take it.

Ha Ha LOL. There have been loads of conventions in Geneva - from POW treatment to international driving laws/road signage. Knowing them is a GOOD thing - some amazing driving laws still stand and can be put to good use, still, despite being nearly 100 years old -as so many countries signed up.

Why on earth would you be under any obligation to tell anyone you do not watch TV?

I'd ignore them. And no, they have no right to enter premises unless they obtain a warrant; however, it's possible the caretakers might mistakenly let them in when you are out.

If you do have a TV, video recorder, DVD recorder, computer with TV tuner in your room, you should ensure it is not tuned in to receive stations. Merely not having an aerial plugged in is not enough ... if you were prosecuted and the equipment were tuned in, the magistrates would be likely to decide it is equipment capable of receiving transmissions and therefore requiring a licence.

Whether the equipment is capable of receiving transmissions is a matter of fact. Have the magistrates come round, switch the TV on, and invite the prosecution to demonstrate that TV transmissions can be received.

Obviously the equipment can be *made capable* of receiving transmissions. But that's not the same as *being capable*. You do not require a licence for equipment that can be *made capable* of receiving transmissions, only for equipment that *is capable*. After all, your computer can be *made capable* of receiving TV transmissions - all you need to do is plug in an external USB TV tuner.

Tim

PS: And of course you do not require a TV licence to receive transmissions that originate outside the UK. The licensing authority can only licence UK transmissions.

Anyone who wishes confirmation that their use of TV equipment does not require a licence should write to the TVLA, explaining how they use their equipment, and ask TVLA for written confirmation that no licence is required.

If you have a TV in your room and also have access to an aerial there you will need a licence, just unplugging it is no good. Detuning it is also no good as you can easily tune it back in....if it is capable of receiving channels (namely, BBC) then you need a licence. You can always ask your uni to remove the TV from your room....you will then need to infom TV licencing of this....surely the cost of a stamp wont break the bank even for a student!

PS I was a temp for TV licencing for a while and grilled the supervisor guy about this for a friend of mine!

Halifax

S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent - 30/1/2007

Prelim letter sent asking for total of 1571.52 - 15/3/2007

LBA sent 30/3/2007

court papers filed

Offer letter received - £1495.13

Surely its the university who are at fault, you have requested they remove thier property from the room ,they say they do not need to.

The TV is not yours, it is stored in your room?

Is it fixed to anything? is it a portable?

You could always carry it down to the UNI reception and hand it in over the desk.

If they advise they will not take it then request that in writting, if they refuse then leave it on a desk and take a photograph.

If you are renting a room and the person you are renting a room from chooses to store a TV in it and not remove it, then what are you to do?

In my view and if i was in this position, i would want to confirm the status of the TV, not my status of not watching it.

:)

My understanding was that if you have a device capable of being used in a position where it could be used then you need a licence

IE if the TV is on a desk plugged in or not then you need a licence for it, if on the other hand its at the bottom of a wardrobe with the plug cut off or removed you're ok.

My fav trick would be (not applicable to you) to buy a plasma tv as they dont generally come with a tuner (the bit you're licencing) they can be an optional extra then just use it with a DVD player and download your TV shows and play them that way then you're not breaking any law at all as you dont have a device capable of receiving a broadcast

download your TV shows and play them that way then you're not breaking any law at all as you dont have a device capable of receiving a broadcast

hmm I think there are people with criminal records and larger fines than come from not having a TV license that would disagree with you there.

hmm I think there are people with criminal records and larger fines than come from not having a TV license that would disagree with you there.

Criminal records/fines for what?

Many shows can be downloaded perfectly lawfully.