42" philips lcd tv

pete1
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6288 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

hi there

i was just seeking some advice as i bought a philips 42"lcd tv on the 1st of december 2006 after getting home and unwrapping the box i noticed a scratch of about 3 inches on the plastic surround and then another on the actual screen, so i phoned currys and they said they would send an engineer out to have a look so a week later they came and were pretty reluctant to say there was a mark on the tv he said when i was pulling out of the box perhaps the polystyrene balls wich are supposed to protect it might have scratched the screen so in the end he agreed to do an exchange so about four days later the new tv came and the delivery guys set it up for me and of they went so everything was fine for about 4 weeks until it started making a high pitch screatching noise whenever its switched on sometimes its not that loud and sometimes it is so i got straight back on the phone to currys and they said they would send an engineer out to repair it so i replied back with cant you give me a replacement so they said no because its out of it 28 days replacement warrenty currys state that after this period they will repair the tv three times before it warrants a replacement, anyway to cut a long story short they came out to fix it to realize they had brought the wrong part with them so another wasted day waiting in for (so called tec guys ) anyway there coming tommorow but i was just wondering is normal practice for a tv to have three repairs done before they will exchange it

cheers and sorry for the long post

p mather

• 1 month later...

not sure about the 3 times thing but I seem to recall something along the lines of they don't need to replace it ever - they can just keep on repairing it - however you could point out to them that you are incurring losses (ie taking time off work etc) everytime they repair it, so you want to be compensated for that - also I think there's the issue of what is considered reasonable - I'd start getting firm with them if it went wrong a second time regardless of their policy (and their policy isn't law don't forget).

also - I'd question why the polystyrene protection would damage the screen - it is 'protection' after all....you gotta be quick with these guys!

They have to have a reasonable opportunity to carry out a satisfactory repair before you can ask to rescind the contract and get a partial refund, but you can never force them to replace the goods if it is disproportionate for them to do so.

Please note I'm not insured in this capacity, so if you need to, do get official legal advice.