Car theft and my No claims bonus.

CG7
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6332 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't know about the license (unless they are just verifying identity against ownership) but I would hazard a guess and say that the past bills might provide evidence of how well the car was maintained in order to suggest an appropriate write-off value. Don't forget that you aren't obliged to just roll over and accept the value which they place on your vehicle - it should be in line with that which you stated when you took out the policy. If, for example you know that the vehicle is worth £1000 and there are similar models on sale for this amount locally, and they only offer you £500, and your valuation given to them when you took out the policy supports the upper limit, then you are entitled to reject the offer as unreasonable. Familiarise yourself with used car values of the same model in a similar condition to yours so that you can quote these if neccessary.

I had an unreasonable offer for a car destroyed by fire, rejected it and they came back with a higher settlement that I was happy to accept.

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!

Yes, it is normal practice.

the Driving Licence is to ensure you haven't any DR10's outstanding, etc. The address can be sorted easily. If they have any concerns on your driving licence, they can ask you to sign a mandate to ensure that the convictions are up to date.

With regards to the repair documents this is on your interests to send them. This is for working out the value of the car, and a car with any service history is worth more than a car with no service history!!!

with regards to requesting a description of the circumstances, again, purely natural. Depending on the Police authority they may request an administration fee for details with regards to the crime.

sorry, this is the first time I have noticed your thread. You say that you lose a standard 2 yrs NCD. However, what is their maximum????

Most insurers apply maximum NCD at 5 yrs, so if you have 9 yrs, the deduction of 2 yrs will actually mean 3 years.

What I would do then is to go on a motor insurance website and get 2 quotes for your car, one on the basis the claim has been withdrawn and you have 9yrs NCD, one on the basis the claim has been paid and 3 yrs NCD. Take into account the claim will stay on your policy for 3 yrs, so multiply the difference by 2.5 and this is how much the claim is going to cost you.

If it is more than what you are getting for the car it is not worth claiming.

• Haha 1

Abbey - owed £3260 - Paid up.

Barclays owed £2500 - Paid up.

Halifax, Mint & Egg - next on the hit list

Dont click on the scales - I'm quite proud of my little red dot! - As the little red dot has gone - click away!!!!

Hi,everyone,

well all gone off now, so will have to wait and see what they offer me, IF they ask why the address is different (its my ex's address) on my licence, whats the best thing to say, the truth would be i never thought about doing it. must get it done now, does it cost anything to alter the address does anyone know.:)

cg7

I think it's a ten pound fee or something... it won't be an issue for your insurers but if they ask just act surprised and say you didn't realise you hadn't done it.

You should bear in mind that it's an offence (not a serious one however and you're unlikely to be charged) to have incorrect details on your licence.

Years ago I used to move a lot and used my parents address for correspondance and ID etc - when I settled I never changed details completly forgot, and after a minor accident had to produce docs - I just expalinedto police and ins co it was an old correspondence address - they accepted it with no problem. I am sure it is pretty common as people have post redirected etc when they move and change addresses accordingly - but nobody ever writes to you about your licence and passport do they.

Consumer Health Forums - where you can discuss any health or relationship matters.

I think it's a ten pound fee or something... it won't be an issue for your insurers but if they ask just act surprised and say you didn't realise you hadn't done it.

You should bear in mind that it's an offence (not a serious one however and you're unlikely to be charged) to have incorrect details on your licence.

I think that change of address is the one reason for a free replacement

Thanks to you all for your help and advice, I will now have to wait and see what they offer me.:) cg7

Hope it turns out OK for you

This amy interest you as well

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/bear-garden/60730-mansfield-meeting.html

Consumer Health Forums - where you can discuss any health or relationship matters.

Your no claims bonus will go down to 3yrs. Regarding a courtesy car you only get one for the duration of the repairs, if your car cannot be repaired then you won't get one. Unless you have paid an additional premium to upgrade to a certain cover that gives you 7days guaranteed car hire.

Don't worry about the address on the driving licence all they want to do is check to see if you have any points or bans etc that you omitted to tell them about. The main thing is that the address on your insurance policy is correct. Personally I would have put a note in with it to explain that you forgot etc.

Never take the 1st offer that they offer you, although if you have only stated the value as £500 when you took out the policy it is unlikely they will offer more than this. Bear this in mind for the future the value of the car does not make a great deal of difference to the premium, it probably wouldnt have cost anymore to insure it for £1000. Although they will only ever pay out the market value. Look on the internet and get an autotrader and have a look to see how much it would cost you to buy another mondeo with similar mileage, that way if you think that their offer is too low you have something to show them

The whole point of insurance is to put you in a no better or worse position that you were in before but the same (apart from when its something like a tv that they don't make anymore so they give you the closet one to it, so you could end up with something better)

Hi Shastie,

Do they have to ring me first then to see if i agree with the amount they are offering or will they just send a cheque for the amount they think is reasonable. ??

They should ring or contact you first. If I was you I would ring them if you haven't heard anything within a maximum of 7days from when you sent all the paperwork off.

Keep pestering them.

Hi shastie,

Yes I will give them till the middle of this week and then give them a call.

I had to ring them myself last week, to find out that my car was a total loss, they didn't inform me at all. Disgusting really.

Hi all,

Just received a letter from Highway insurance (although its the post office i insured with) about my claim and they are saying to me that because it is a total loss, that they will take the remaining 4 monthly insurance payments due to them from the total payable to me (when they decide to pay up of course). Is this legal ?? as i understood from the post office, if i got another car it would just be re assessed, otherwise i would have to pay the remaining 4 instalments if i decided against another car. But as yet have no money from them to buy another car. anyone any ideas please !!!!!!!!!!!

if you make a claim and the insurer doesnt make a full recovery then you will be liable for the premiums for the rest of the year.

However if you get a new car you can change it over.

Hi shastie,

Being as they are taking the 4 instalments from my claim then, does it free me from Highway Insurance, So can i go back to direct line or similar.

Thanks.

If you pay the rest of what is o/s for the rest of the year in one then you can cancel and go elsewhere. But it's pointless as you will be paying for 2 policies and only using one you might as well get a new car change it over and then at renewal go elsewhere.

Hi Shastie,

Yes I suppose your right, I just can't wait to get away from Highway, feel very disappointed in there customer service. its costing a small fortune ringing there 0870 number trying to get information from them about my claim.

Thanks again, cg