We need a precedent...

Movingon
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6597 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

All this settling out of court is fine; the trouble is, the banks couch the "settlement" in terms of "not accepting that we will lose a court battle" - "in no way accept that our charges are unlawful or unfair"... and requiring that people sign off on that as a full and final settlement.

Does "Full and final settlement" mean that we can't follow the process a second time for any charges levied in future? Does it mean that we HAVE to follow this process every time we're charged £35 in fees? Do we have to add a caveat to our acceptance letter saying that we reserve the right to claim back future charges?

My argument is, we need someone who is willing to set a precedent in Law. Unfortunately, the Small Claims court is not going to be enough; legal representation will be required to argue the Points of Law effectively, and a situation will need to exist where a settlement out of court is unacceptable to the Claimant, but the refusal of that settlement is acceptable to the Judge.

What are we to do? Can Maxie please look at the legalese part of my post and tell me the right of it?

I believe (although anyone with more legal knowledge is free to correct me) that what you are talking about is an injunction.

Someone, Stephen Hone I think, sought one against all of the major banks and this failed. However, one fo the main reasons was that he had not been directly affected by all of these banks charges. Also this would have had such a massive affect on the bank's profits I find it hard to believe that this didn't affect the judge's decision.

There are a few big claims against Natwest pending at the moment, and they are intending to defend in full. Whether they do will remain to be seen, but if they do actually go to court and lose it could set a good precedent that may lead to a wider injunction.

As I say, I have no official legal knowledge so this is just my own opinion from what I have read so far.

The OFT ruling does have to be factored into this as well although I believe it will end up being quite a long process no matter what happens with it.

If you found this post useful please click on the scales above.

Egg - £400 - Prelim sent. On hold.

Mint - On the list Est £800

GE Capital - On the list (3 accounts!) Est £4000

MBNA - £545 Prelim sent 13/11/2006

LBA sent 1/12/2006

£350 partial payment received 18/12/2006.

Full settlement received 20/1/07

NatWest - Est £4000 not incl interest

Data Protection Act Sent 10/1/07

Statements received 24/1/07

Prelim sent 3/2/07

Full Settlement received 22/2/07

The contents of this post are the sole opinions of The Cornflake and not necessarily the opinions of any other members of this group. They do not constitute sound legal or financial advice and if in doubt you are advised to seek advice from a qualified professional

All this settling out of court is fine; the trouble is, the banks couch the "settlement" in terms of "not accepting that we will lose a court battle" - "in no way accept that our charges are unlawful or unfair"... and requiring that people sign off on that as a full and final settlement.

Does "Full and final settlement" mean that we can't follow the process a second time for any charges levied in future? Does it mean that we HAVE to follow this process every time we're charged £35 in fees? Do we have to add a caveat to our acceptance letter saying that we reserve the right to claim back future charges?

My argument is, we need someone who is willing to set a precedent in Law. Unfortunately, the Small Claims court is not going to be enough; legal representation will be required to argue the Points of Law effectively, and a situation will need to exist where a settlement out of court is unacceptable to the Claimant, but the refusal of that settlement is acceptable to the Judge.

What are we to do? Can Maxie please look at the legalese part of my post and tell me the right of it?

I have heard of banks asking people to sign documents saying that they will not pursue an future claim, but this is useless! You can not get someone to waive there legal rights,espcially if the waiver is less favourable.

Full and final settlement means that the offer being made is the full amount to be paid in final settlement of all part of the claim and that once it is accepted the claim will be over.

The full and final settlement should be qualified. Always send a letter of acceptance back stating that 'I accept the banks offer to pay £XXXX.XX in full and final settlement of all any claims arising within the claim that is claima number XXXXXXX in the XXXXXXX county court against XXXXXXXX bank.'

That completely preserves your right to pursue any future claims.

Unfortunatly yes, you potentially have to follow the process each time.

As for adding conditions to the acceptance letter I'm doing an article for the news letter of how to avoid being 'done over again' by the bank when accepting settlement, so you can read that later!

As for your small claim argument I agree with you, but it won't happen for a while. Firstly, the small claim court or indeed the civil proceedures as a whole are design to be the last resort. If you make a claim of against X banks and before trail X banks offer to settle all of your claimand you refuse electing to go to trial and get judgment, upon you winning X bank will produce a copy of there offer and the judge will strike out the judgment as you 'acted unreasonable in litigation' and may well award costs AGAINST you.

What is really needed a a declaration from the high court. Now, recently, I had a case on behalf of someone for £1500. I could have issued proceedings in the high court with a claim for a delcaration. Immediatly the bank would have settled the money claim and then they would have instructed a barrister to pursue the declaration. The barrister would have immediately applied to the court for an indication of costs which means, if we loose and have to pay there costs we 'back this up' by paying money into court. They would have asked of got an application for anything up to £60-70,000. So we can't pay £70,000 so the bank applies to the court to have the claim struck out and win. The case would drag on for over a year at least costing tens of thousand and there would be NO certainty we would win.

The bottom line is banks settle because they won't take the risk they will lose!

The law maybe reason without passion as Aristotle said, but hey, he said nothing about having fun when getting even!

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal expereince. For legal advice you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

Reputation Points Always Welcome

Lose. Not loose.

If you feel that we have helped you, or you would like to help keep this web site running so that others can continue to get their money back, please click the donate button at the top of the forum.

Advice & opinions of Dave, The Bank Action Group and The Consumer Action Group are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability.

Use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.

------------

Add me as your friend on FaceBook - I need all the friends I can get :-(

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=577405151

------------

Lose. Not loose.

My appologies. I try hard but but have dyslexia and now and again it rushes to the surface to ruin my grammer! It because I've jsut got up, it gets better by lunch time but tends to drift off at night again when I get tired.

The law maybe reason without passion as Aristotle said, but hey, he said nothing about having fun when getting even!

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal expereince. For legal advice you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

Reputation Points Always Welcome

I'm just a pedant.

If you feel that we have helped you, or you would like to help keep this web site running so that others can continue to get their money back, please click the donate button at the top of the forum.

Advice & opinions of Dave, The Bank Action Group and The Consumer Action Group are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability.

Use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.

------------

Add me as your friend on FaceBook - I need all the friends I can get :-(

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=577405151

------------

Firstly, County Court judgments don't set precedents. The decision might become notorious because of its unusual nature but it won't be binding in the way which is necessary to stop the banks.

However it woul dbe useful.

I don't believe that there will be any banks prepared to take the risk and to go to court just for the money.

I am quite convinced that we will be helping people claim their money back for years to come. There are load of people and there is loads of money.

What it will take wilo be something really to stretch the limits.

I am quite sure in my mind that there are two issues that might do this.

the first is if people start claiming back more than 6 years on the basis that the banks have concealed the cause of action and therefore the Limitation period rule under s.32 (b) Limitation Act 1980 is invoked.

This raises such a spectre of disaster for the banks as they would have to make unlimited repayments that they might well decide to take the risk and to go into court.

The second involves the default register. If the banks were to be challenged on the accuracy of their default under the DPA and if this in turn lead to an award of damages - or better still an action for defamation against the bank or the CRA, this also could lead to a decision by the banks to take a stand.

A stand, for us would only be useful if the claim went off the Small Claims track so that the bank was obliged to to disclose all of its information. This would be a major victory and would signal the end of the fight.

I have tried to flag the possibility of claims beyond 6 years and also actions under the DPA.

So far only one person has claimed beyond the 6 year limit. You may be interested to know that they obtained a default judgment last week. This is despite the fact that the bank knew about the claim and their solicitors were dealing with it and were in contact with the claimant right up until the day before the judgment was obtained.

We are now waiting to see of they will try to get the matter set aside.

On the matter of DPA claims, there are about 6 people who are preparing to make claims in respect of non-compliance with SAR requests. About 3 poeple who are considering challenging the banks under the DPA on the issue of their inaccurate defaults.

I don't really understand why more poeple aren't getting involved. However, hopefully this trickle will turn into a deluge,

I think you must realise a lot of the people who will be claiming won't be 'crusaders' they want the money and thats it.

I must admit, my first priority is to get my money back, but after that, I'm gunning for them.

I will be claiming in excess of the statute of limations against lloyds, I just need to wait for my DPA disclosure.

I will also be pursuing Goldfish for defamation of character as they have a default applied against my credit file and I have proof that this has resulted in 2 refusuals for a mortgage. I have had the stigma of having to apply for an 'adverse' mortgage through no fault of my own.

On the matter of DPA claims, there are about 6 people who are preparing to make claims in respect of non-compliance with SAR requests.

BF, can you expand on that? I thought you could only complain to the IC?

If the name of the claim is blue and underlined, click it to see how I did it.

• Halifax - 1st Request for £3748.80 sent 10/06 Settled in full and 5% donated

• Goldfish - Unable to comment further, have a read

• Lloyds - Data Protection Act sent 19/04 1st estimated request for £1500 sent15/08 LBA sent 08/09

• Carphone Warehouse - Data Protection Act sent 19/04 Chased 04/07 ICO complaint 18/07

• First National - 1st Request for £280 sent 05/05 Settled in full and 5% donated

• Yes car credit - LBA sent 19/07 Court Action launched 26/09

• HFC Bank - 1st Request for £100 sent 06/06 Settled in full and 5% donated

Like what I said? Hit the scales on the top right of my post. Cheers

Disclaimer - By giving advice, I am not putting myself across as a legal expert. Always seek professional advice.

Help the site, donate 5%, I have.

Deemacperth -

If you can prove that you have had to settle for a mortgage with a higher interest rate as a direct result of the defaults there could be quite a large claim there in itself!

BF -

Once I've safely claimed back from my credit card companies I will be going for my bank with several claims, and I'm willing to test the water as it were with a number of separate issues which I'm currently looking into. Any issues that you have raised as well as the basic unlawful charges claim I am willing to go with, provided they are relevant to my situation. There isn't an evil angry revenge smiley but if there was it would be here ;)

If you found this post useful please click on the scales above.

Egg - £400 - Prelim sent. On hold.

Mint - On the list Est £800

GE Capital - On the list (3 accounts!) Est £4000

MBNA - £545 Prelim sent 13/11/2006

LBA sent 1/12/2006

£350 partial payment received 18/12/2006.

Full settlement received 20/1/07

NatWest - Est £4000 not incl interest

Data Protection Act Sent 10/1/07

Statements received 24/1/07

Prelim sent 3/2/07

Full Settlement received 22/2/07

The contents of this post are the sole opinions of The Cornflake and not necessarily the opinions of any other members of this group. They do not constitute sound legal or financial advice and if in doubt you are advised to seek advice from a qualified professional

• 12 years later...

This topic was closed on 09 March 2019.

If you have a problem which is similar to the issues raised in this topic, then please start a new thread and you will get help and support there.

If you would like to post up some information which is relevant to this particular topic then please flag the issue up to the site team and the thread will be reopened.

- Consumer Action Group

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6597 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks