Cabot and old Aqua Card Debt - will they go for a CCJ?

Yorkshirepud
style="text-align: center;"> Β 

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the lastΒ 362 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Β 

Please click the "Report " link

Β 

at the bottom of one of the posts.

Β 

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and moreΒ helpΒ 

Β 

Thanks

Hi everyone πŸ‘‹

Β 

New to this site and just wondering if anyone can offer me any advice πŸ™

Β 

Cabot have been on my credit file for a while for an old credit card debt (think Aqua). I have over this time received various emails and i have ignored them all πŸ™ˆ

Β 

I think i was hoping that it would just go away especially as the default date showing on my credit file is 31 December 2018 however i have today received an email that says if i don't respond within 26 days they will look to pass it to a Solicitor to obtain a CCJ.Β 

Β 

What should i do?Β 

Β 

Grateful for any advice anyone can give.Β 

• dx100uk changed the title to Cabot and old Aqua Card Debt - will they go for a CCJ?

ignore emails totally

you should never use/give email/phone/txt to a DCA. bloch and ignore all of them,.

Β 

DCA's are totally powerless and are not bailiffsΒ 

Β 

have you moved since taking the card out an never informed Aqua (newday?) nor the debt buyer/dca owner of your correct and current address??

Β 

Β 

• Thanks 1

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marksΒ and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVERΒ  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight...Β 

I have definitely never communicated with Cabot. They may have written to me and i have filed it in the bin; I can't be 100% sure.Β 

Β 

Not moved so Aqua always had my correct address.Β 

Β 

My only concern is if they do go for a CCJ i don't have the means to pay and not sure what my defense would be (i did take out the card and not pay it back). I just hoped it'd have pushed to the 6 year and vanished into the ether πŸ™ˆ i really don't want a CCJ but nor do i really want to pay these bottom feeders but if that is only way to stop action i guess i'd have to? πŸ€·β€β™€οΈ

Β 

I appreciate your response.Β 

woa slow down...

Β 

who say you've gotta pay them and it will ever go near a courtroom door...very very remote and they have no more powers than you or i to raise a speculative claim if we think someone owes us money.

Β 

they also have to abide by the pre action protocol and send a letter of claim FIRST.

Β 

till they ever do that BY ROYAL MAIL. simply ignore them.

Β 

block/bounce all their email addresses so you dont get free harassment from them too.

Β 

plenty of cabot card threads to read here.

Β 

dx

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

• Thanks 1

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marksΒ and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVERΒ  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight...Β 

Going to follow this one, have dealt with Cabot before.

Β 

1. Don't throw anything away, file it all in date order including the envelope. Gather any remaining material you have from the original debt, bills, letters etc and also add it to the file.

Β 

2. Don't reply to emails, just file them in an email folder on your computer

Β 

3. Don't answer the phone to them.Β  If they call from a different number put the phone down and add that number to the list of Cabot numbers on your phone.

Β 

4. Don't worry about any contact you have from other Debt Collecting Companies they may pass the debt onto for a chase.Β Β  They have zero standing.Β  They are good at using their letters and techniques to play phycological games but it is like Tennis, if they hit a ball over the net at you don't hit it back.Β  They will be in for a doodoo game then!

Β 

5. DO advise them of any change of address so they don't send Court papers or important correspondence to an old address.

Β 

6. DO get back on here if you receive a letter before action.

Β 

7. DO (Optional).Β  Might be worth doing a Subject Access Request to Aqua to see what data they hold about you.Β  Would reveal stuff that might be useful later such as default date (helps to calculate the statutory Bar date) and other things.Β 

Β 

Nothing nasty can happen until AFTER they have successfully won a County Court Claim, which is usually very very hard work for them and mostly impossible if you follow the advice here.

Β 

I have benefited from loads of advice from here and like to add my own from experience to help others.

• Thanks 2