Housing Association taking away internet access due to kiosk mode

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 618 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

Before I go into a bit more detail could I ask you a few Questions:

1. As this is a Computer in a Communal Area (with a building of 45 Flats) is the Computer only accessible by those 45 Flat only or can other users within the Housing Associations area come into that Communal Area to use that Computer?

2. Is there a Housing Association Staff Member in the area where the Computer is located?

3. Is there a specific opening and closing time for the use of this Computer in the Communal Area?

4. Was there any letters sent to Tenant within your 45 Flats complex or within the area that the Computer is located notifying users of the changes to the Computer use?

5. Has at anytime since the Computer was installed till now the Computer being used to help train elderly users how to use the Internet by the Housing Association?

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi

They will be using Edge which is part of Windows and will have it set to automatically update where as Chrome does not necessarily automatically update you have to into it's setting to update. 

So they are using Edge as a Security feature as it update with Windows.

No files should be stored locally as its a shared resource. Anyone using it should be attaching/saving stored files on a USB device. Except you have tried and proven you can't save/view files from a USB Device.

The USB Device is a Security feature which most Companies including Housing Association will Lock Access to as it is a way of stealing/hacking that computer system/servers.

Cisco Meraki will be the IT System that the Housing Association are using on there network and that Computer as no one is onsite and it's basically free to use at anytime will be linked to the Housing Associations IT System so even though no one is Onsite there IT Department will be able to remotely view and do security checks on that computer to see what it is being used for as anything you do using that computer will go
via there server and even if you delete your file from that Computer it is not deleted as it is stored on there server.

The above is why you would not have seem anyone from there IT Department onsite amending that Computer as it was all done remotely from there Housing Association Office.

I can fully understand why the Housing Association has done this which is basically for security reason but the way they have done but it does not excuse the way they have done this especially since that computer has been in this specific location for numerous years and them knowing that its users are elderly they should really have notified all those Tenants in your block in writing of the intended changes and the reason for 
it and any training required to get used to the new setup of that computer.

Does this stop you challenging what they have done NO.

What will help in challenging this is they will most probably ignore one Tenant from your block of flats i.e. yourself but make it look like they have followed there complaints procedure but if they suddenly get an influx of complaint from all the Tenants of the 45 Flats complaining of exactly the same issue with that computer and the way they have done these changes without notifying the Tenants they are going to take notice. Even getting a Petition going with all the Tenants of the 45 flats signing to hand into the Housing Association.

Get as many people within your building to Formally Complain to the Housing Association as possible as the more complaint on the same thing to do with this computer the better as the Housing Association will have to to take action.

I was on the Board of a very large Housing Association for numerous years and we would never have treated residents in this manner as they would have been notified of the changes and the reasons for them and if any issue to contact Housing Association to raise your concerns or if training needed to get used to the new system it can be arranged. Basically consulting those residents it would affect to see there issue and resolve them before implementing the changes to make sure residents happy.

The below letter is just my take on what to send them and feel free to amend it to suit

Dear Sir/Madam

Formal Complaint

Reference: Computer Terminal in Communal Area of (insert address)

I previously complained about this on XX/XX/2022 and the response from your IT Department has not resolved this complaint and in fact has complicated this matter due to there lack of knowledge that this specific Computer has been at this location for XX years for the Elderly Resident use with the building containing 45 Flats and those Resident were all used to the layout/software and USB of that Computer which has now been withdrawn without any notification/consultation of those Residents and must point out the Equality Act 2010.

The majority of the elderly resident were used to Chrome on that computer which has now been removed and replaced with Edge which we are not used to using and when I raised this and the numerous Advertisement we are getting with Edge and if a blocker to stop these could be installed he response from your IT department is shocking and nothing but disgraceful to elderly residents and I quote:

"We're under no obligation to provide this particular facility. Even our staff computers don't have advert browser plug ins on them".

I also complained about not being able to print files as there is no printer attached/linked to this computer you have to transfer theses files to a USB on the computer which we have always been able to do so we can take that USB to print off our documents but your IT Departments response and I quote:

"If there is a printer present and it's been installed, there should be no barrier to this"

With the above your IT Department should be fully aware that there is NO Printer linked to this Computer so how are we meant to print anything off as we can't as we were previously able to by transferring these to a USB on that computer to take to my own printer to print my documents off as your IT Department has now locked that computers USB Facility.

I also raised the issue of we can't now copy and paste text from a website to Notepad in order to save it to a USB stick and print it elsewhere as we previously could and the response from your IT Department and I quote:

"You can always copy information to an online word processor such as Google Docs in order to print it."

With the above how are we able to do this when we no longer have that facility to copy and paste from a website to notepad to then save it to a USB Stick to print off on your own printer as the USB facility has also been locked.

Your IT Departments response to elderly resident that use this computer and have done for numerous years is disgraceful and I now require the following:

1. When was the Date that specific Computer was Inspected?

2. When was the Date of the last PAT Test of that specific Computer?

3. Why were the Elderly Residents within the 45 Flats never Notified/Consulted on the changes to this specific computer?

4. Why were the Elderly Residents within the 45 Flats were never Offered any training to get used to the changes on that specific computer?

5. Who is specifically responsible for that Computer within our Communal Area and contact details?

6. Why has that specific Computer never been changed since it was installed in (insert date)?

7. The Resident require a meeting to be set up within our Building at a time convenient to us to discuss this matter raise our concerns in person.

I also require copies of the following:

1. Complaints Policy (not the leaflet)
2. Customer Care Charter/Policy (not the leaflet)
3. Equality Act Policy (not the leaflet)
4. Data Protection Policy (not the leaflet)
5. Consultation Policy (not the leaflet)

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Hi

That response from the Council is a typical response as all the Council have done is wrote to the Housing Association and got a response from them then copies it into a Council letter to send to yourself not taking into account once in that letter that this is a building of 45 Flats of Elderly Tenants.

In other words the Council are useless and will not assist and believe what the Housing Association have said please go away.

Send the Housing Association the letter I mentioned in Post#18 and make sure and Title it Formal Complaint as any Formal Complaint needs to be recorded by the Housing Association and is open to inspection by the Regulator.

Follow the Housing Association Complaints Procedure.

• Like 1

Hi

I have to agree you need to add that to the complaint letter I have done for you in post#18 (just add it into that letter)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

Personally I think your letter to the MP irrespective give your prospective as to what is happening with your Housing Association.

The big thing you should be putting over is that your Housing Association without any consultation has taken it upon themselves to Digitally Exlcude your 45 Flats of elderly resident to be able to use the internet as you were previously able to do with no issues and they have responded without a care to those residents affected.

I am sure this would make a great article in a local newspaper so have a wee look around a the different local newspapers in your area and contact them shame the Housing Association.

My own Housing Association has setup numerous Digital Cafes for resident so they are digitally included and offers different courses even as they call it 'silver surfer' for elderly residents which does not just include computer training but how to use PC, Laptops, Mobile Phones and its all free to residents all they need to do is contact the digital cafe and book an appointment slot or they can pop in to use a computer as in your case but there is always a staff member present to offer any assistance.

• Like 1
  • I agree 1

• 2 weeks later...

@ The GodMother

Reference your post#41 I am afraid this is NOT a company as you refer to but a Housing Association which all the rents that all tenants pay are for the different services that the Housing Association provides whether is be staff, communal cleaning, landscaping, building projects etc. it is not to pay for individual laptops for tenants the way you have put it over I am afraid.

It is the Rents of any Social Housing Sector that pay for the services that all tenants get.

The difference here is that computer was in place for numerous years and the Housing Association took it upon themselves to updated it for security reasons which I can understand but neglected to inform those residents of this nor offer them any training to get used to this new computer setup therefore they have digitally excluded those residents due to this change and offered no training to get used to this new system.

Hi Dave2019

That response from the Housing Associations CEO I bet has only happened after a certain reporter contacted them for comment as for that response it is a complete disgrace as they have neglected the fact of Digital Inclusion anf that you and others within your building were never notified of these changes nor offered and training to get used to this new software setup. 

It seem like the the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing what a good CEO.

Here is a short and sweet letter to response to CEO. (fell free to amend)

Dear Sir/Madam

Reference: (insert reference number if one on CEOs letter)

Thank you for your letter dated XX/XX 2022 but this has just added further issues to this matter that I must make you aware of .

The Firs Building have numerous elderly residents which the Housing Association is fully aware of:

1. We were never consulted nor informed of these changes taking place to the Computer that the majority of us use and are used to is setup.

2. I was informed by your staff that a printer was installed when if fact there has never been a printer in this location which the Housing Association are now going to install but we do not have a date when that is going to happen.

3. With the above all the residents that used this computer were used to the setup as it has been for numerous years before this change happened without notification and the residents are neither used to this new layout in fact find it's very difficult to use and have been offered NO assistance in the way of computer training for this new system therefore we feel we have been digitally excluded by the Housing Association.

4. At present due to the above we feel we have been Digitally excluded by our Housing Association and therefore require a meeting to be setup at 'The Firs' to discuss our issue in person with the Housing Association.

I look forward to your response.

Hi  Dave 2019

Oh dear that PDF I have just basically ripped apart as in your case with this issue of the computer so what I suggest you do is add to the letter I posted in politely ripping apart that PDF and you use that PDF against them.

Remember you have already complained about this but that PDF is IMO is Gold Dust as it is there document full of promises to all its tenants so you also use that PDF/Document against them. 

So you respond to that CEO Letter and in fact here you go this it what I would send them: (note I would not add to this leave as it and sent it to CEO)

Dear Sir/Madam

Reference: (insert reference number if one on CEOs letter)

Thank you for your letter dated XX/XX 2022 but this has just added further issues to this matter that I must make you aware of .

The Firs Building have numerous elderly residents which the Housing Association is fully aware of:

1. We were never consulted nor informed of these changes taking place to the Computer that the majority of us use and are used to is setup.

2. I was informed by your staff that a printer was installed when if fact there has never been a printer in this location which the Housing Association are now going to install but we do not have a date when that is going to happen.

3. With the above all the residents that used this computer were used to the setup as it has been for numerous years before this change happened without notification and the residents are neither used to this new layout in fact find it's very difficult to use and have been offered NO assistance in the way of computer training for this new system therefore we feel we have been digitally excluded by the Housing Association.

4. At present due to the above we feel we have been Digitally excluded by our Housing Association and therefore require a meeting to be setup at 'The Firs' to discuss our issue in person with the Housing Association.

I would also like to refer to Platform Housing Group Customer and Community Engagement Strategy 2021-2026

(Insert the website link here to this Customer and Community Engagement Strategy if you know it)

Page 2:  

Our strategy identifies six themes that will support us in our journey to become a truly modern housing association. the two you have failed with in this present case are 'Our Customers' and 'Digital and Intelligence'. As you failed to consult/notify your elderly resident of the changes to this computer system nor offer any support in the way of training to get used to this new system to date.

Page 4

a) People Values in this case the Housing Association has failed to Own It as it never consulted/notified those tenants affected nor offered any training support to date even when complained about have basically given the same response and are therefore digitally excluding elderly residents.

b) Be Brave in this case it seems that Digitally excluding Residents due to your software changes to that computer without again consultation/notification nor any offer of Training to date to get used to the new system is the Housing Association 'Be Brave' Digitally Excluding elderly residents.

Page 5:

Our Approach - 'Digital4Everyone', in this case sadly again this is not the case since you updated that system we feel digitally excluded for the reasons stated above.

Page 6:

Platform Housing Group Customer and Community Engagement 'Digital Connectivity', in this case sadly again this is not the case since you updated that system we feel digitally excluded for the reasons stated above.

Page 10:

Community - To build COMMUNITY contribution we will: IMPROVE Digital Inclusion, in this case sadly again this is not the case since you updated that system we feel digitally excluded for the reasons stated above.

Page 12:

Digital - in this case sadly again this is not the case since you updated that system we feel digitally excluded for the reasons stated above.

Page 14:

Equality, Diversity and Inclusion - in this case sadly again this is not the case since you updated that system we feel digitally excluded for the reasons stated above.

Page 15

Equality, Diversity and Inclusion - in this case sadly again this is not the case since you updated that system we feel digitally excluded for the reasons stated above.

Due to the above we feel this document is all fine and well putting it up but putting it into practice in our case has fell way short for the reasons pointed out and importantly we feel we as elderly residents are being Digitally Excluded especially the manner in which this case has been dealt with by your staff.

I would also like clarification if Platform Housing Group is a Member of TPAS?

I look forward to your response.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi

You need to exhaust the Housing Associations Complaints Procedure  and have a final response before the Housing Ombudsman will get involved.

I know I have pointed it out in my previous posts but you need to use the Housing Associations own Policies/Documents against them and I point to my post#54 here that document is gold to use against them and you must point out as elderly residents you are being 'Digitally Excluded against this specific document.

The response Platform Housing has given to both your MP and in the News article is complete crap and is them defending themselves and neglecting the important fact they have digitally excluded resident with no consultation nor offer of training to get used to this new setup and the porkies told about the printer.

IMO you need to respond to both the MP and the Author of that News Article as well as Platform Housing so they all know you ain't letting this drop and there excuses given are basically them trying to white wash this matter to make them look good and you use that Strategy of theirs against them.

Now I have done a letter to send in response to what the MP and News Article response was from Platform please only adjust the parts needed but mainly leave as is. You will see at the bottom CC leave that in to let platform see who you are sending copies of this letter to (very deliberate as they wont like that and can do nothing to you for it)

Here is the letter I would send:

Dear Sir/Madam

Reference: (insert MPs Name or the Author of the News Articles Name Here)

Further to your (letter dated XX/XX/2022 or News Article Dated XX/XX/2022) I would like to clarify that the response from Platform has actually failed to give you proper information on this matter of Elderly Residents being Digitally Excluded due top the heavy handed actions they have taken.

The Firs Building have numerous elderly residents which the Platform Housing Association is fully aware of:

1. The Residents of the Firs were never consulted nor informed of these changes taking place to the Computer that the majority of us use and are used to is previous setup before these drastic changes.

2. I was informed by your staff that a printer was installed when if fact there has never been a printer installed until recently due to the MPs contact and the recent news article which Platform Housing Association have also failed to date to provide any paper nor show those residents how to print out what they require in this new kiosk mode and what to do/who to contact if the printer requires replacement ink/fails.

3. All the residents within the Firs that used this computer were used to the setup as it has been for numerous years before this change happened without notification by Platform Housing Association and the residents are neither used to this new layout in fact find it's very difficult to use and have been offered NO assistance in the way of computer training for this new system therefore we feel we have been digitally excluded by the Housing Association.

4. The Resident feel that Platform Housing Association at present keeps giving the exact same reason for security but has therefore Digitally excluded those Residents within the Firs and breached there own Policy in there actions.

I would also like to refer to Platform Housing Group Customer and Community Engagement Strategy 2021-2026 (see link below to download the PDF)

https://www.platformhg.com/search?term=Customer+and+Community+Engagement+Strategy+2021-2026&search=Search&searchType=all

Page 2:  

Our strategy identifies six themes that will support us in our journey to become a truly modern housing association. the two you have failed with in this present case are 'Our Customers' and 'Digital and Intelligence'. As you failed to consult/notify your elderly resident of the changes to this computer system nor offer any support in the way of training to get used to this new system to date.

Page 4: 

a) People Values in this case the Housing Association has failed to Own It as it never consulted/notified those tenants affected nor offered any training support to date even when complained about have basically given the same response and are therefore digitally excluding elderly residents.

b) Be Brave in this case it seems that Digitally excluding Residents due to your software changes to that computer without again consultation/notification nor any offer of Training to date to get used to the new system is the Housing Association 'Be Brave' Digitally Excluding elderly residents.

Page 5:

Our Approach - 'Digital4Everyone', in this case sadly again this is not the case since you updated that system we feel digitally excluded for the reasons stated above.

Page 6:

Platform Housing Group Customer and Community Engagement 'Digital Connectivity', in this case sadly again this is not the case since you updated that system we feel digitally excluded for the reasons stated above.

Page 10:

Community - To build COMMUNITY contribution we will: IMPROVE Digital Inclusion, in this case sadly again this is not the case since you updated that system we feel digitally excluded for the reasons stated above.

Page 12:

Digital - in this case sadly again this is not the case since you updated that system we feel digitally excluded for the reasons stated above.

Page 14:

Page 15: 

Due to the above the Residents of The Firs feel this document is all fine and well putting it up but putting it into practice in this case has fell way short of this document in fat is a breach  of this document for the reasons pointed out and importantly the elderly residents are being Digitally Excluded by Platform Housing Association actions and failure to discuss this matter with those residents.
Platform Housing Association have even failed to setup a meeting at the Firs with the Elderly Residents to discuss these issues which shows a blatant disregard for Customer Care and there own strategy pointed out above.

Thank You for your assistance in this matter.

CC.

MP (insert MPs name here)

News Article Author (insert new article authors name here)

Platform Housing Association

• I agree 1

That is a good response for the News Article follow up now do the exact same to the MPs letter that you got as well. (post#56)

Remember the power is in that document of Platform Housings and you use it against them.

These are the important facts to always remember on this issue:

1. Platform Housing Group Customer and Community Engagement Strategy 2021-2026

2. Elderly Resident at The Firs

3. Digitally Excluded.

4. No Consultation nor notification in writing of these changes to the Computer setup.

5. No offer of Training to the Elderly Resident of The Firs to get use to this New Computer Setup.

Hi

I noticed in your last post, post#69 to your MP that you mention the Customer and Community Engagement Strategy but it may be an error but I don't see that you have added the link to Platforms website  to download that specific PDF which is important so your MP can view that PDF and your letter.

If it has been missed just follow up with your MP referring to your last email and add the website link:

https://www.platformhg.com/search?term=Customer+and+Community+Engagement+Strategy+2021-2026&search=Search&searchType=all

Hi Dave2019

That response to your councillor is short and direct so lets see how your councillor will act with Platform.

I think you have noticed that Platform are not telling the correct facts to news article/MP/Councillor which is absolutely typical of these Housing Association to always give there version of events to make them look as if they have done everything by the book to make them look good we haven't done anything wrong.

This is when you challenge them as you have done and throw there own Customer Community Engagement Strategy in there face and you keep doing this with what I have pointed out in post#67 (as a reference).

The more you do this the more Platform are not going to like it as it impacts their own Customer Care Policy, Complaints Policy and that specific Customer Engagement Strategy as these look more like just a paper exercise to make them look good but putting them into practice they are not just failing but are in fact Breaching those Policies.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Hi Dave

You have nothing to be sorry for at all and I do understand that these sort of thing can wear you down all the fighting and seeming to get nowhere.

It is the Housing Association that are playing games here and one important thing I must point out is they actually work for you the Tenants not the other way around as it is all your Rents that pay for every single service the Housing Association provides right down to the employees wages.

As for the Yahoo even if you clicked this on kiosk mode and it was a virus the Housing Association installed anti virus software should pick it up as it is linked to there systems. Even if it was as it previously was before they change it to kiosk mode again the Housing Associations Anti Virus Software should pick it up as they will have some sort of virus protection on there system/servers.

So you example highlights what the Housing Association have so far failed to inform you is since it is link to there systems they will have anti virus software of some sort to protect there systems.

Them offering to gift the computer may seem a good idea as it is taken responsibility out of there hands but now my air of caution as it wont just be you using that computer you need to bear in mind the following:

1. Data Protection of those using the computer

2. Possible Repair Costs. (can you get insurance for the computer & printer and the costs)

3. Anti Virus Protection. (get a good anti virus protection that cover a few years so an initial layout cost).

4. Will you be charged electricity cost by the Housing Association for using the Computer? (you need to get this in writing from them and keep it safe)

5. Consider doing your own Disclaimer that anyone wishing to use the computer has to sign and keep it safe.

6. Paper and ink costs for the printer.

7. Add all the initial cost above together then break it down to those who want to use the computer to work out the individual share costs.

8. Internet access are the Housing Association still going to allow you to use there internet or will you have to get your own internet provider which will be an added cost. (you need to clarify this with the Housing Association)

• 3 weeks later...

@Dave2019 just thought I would pop in to see how this is going?

I know this can wear you down due to all the fighting with the Housing Association but IMO I would not let them get away with this as this is a typical tactic from any Housing Association and the big thing to remember they have breached there own Platform Housing Group Customer and Community Engagement Strategy 2021-2026.

That is what you continue to hit them with as so far they have even failed to acknowledged they have breached it and keep giving a different reason but not answering that specific question why they have breached that strategy.

I hope you are keeping well, take care of yourself

• Like 1