DHL - Claiming for damage after paying for insurance/protection

100mel
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 545 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Sold an item of kitchen equipment on Ebay - stainless steel/metal grill for £150 .  Packaged and despatched via DHL and paid for additional "protection" to the value of the sale. Arrived with recipient completely wrecked and damaged and complete pictures supplied. Dispute was raised with Ebay and I was obliged to refund. Long trail of correspondence with DHL who refused to compensate. Took complaint to Ombudsman - again a complete waste of time . Small claims is the only way I can see to recover my losses. Therefore I am asking for advice as to appropriate procedure ? Do I need to send DHL letter before action and if so what form should it take ? Advice and guidance appreciated - this is my first claim against courier company 

Sold an item of kitchen equipment on Ebay - stainless steel/metal grill for £150 . 

Packaged and despatched via DHL and paid for additional "protection" to the value of the sale.

Arrived with recipient completely wrecked and damaged and complete pictures supplied.

Dispute was raised with Ebay and I was obliged to refund. Long trail of correspondence with DHL who refused to compensate.

Took complaint to Ombudsman - again a complete waste of time . 

Small claims is the only way I can see to recover my losses.

Therefore I am asking for advice as to appropriate procedure ?

Do I need to send DHL letter before action and if so what form should it take ?

Advice and guidance appreciated - this is my first claim against courier company 

Edited by BankFodder
Restructured in order to make it readable

Please start by reading as many of the stories on this sub- forum as will take you over a couple of days. There are lots. Most of them are about EVRi but they are all relevant you.

In particular, follow the link – EVRi – to understand the principles involved and also why the insurance was absolutely not necessary and the requirement that people have insurance to get compensation is unenforceable.

Also start reading up the steps involved in taking a small claim in the County Court. Your will definitely need to start a claim..

You haven't really given us very much detail about dates and values et cetera.
Was the item correctly described and correctly valued?
Also some information about dates might be handy.

On what basis did DHL refuse to compensate?

Finally, you say that you went to an ombudsman. I'm curious about this because I didn't know that there was an ombudsman for this industry.

On what basis did this ombudsman refuse to uphold your complaint?

2 minutes ago, 100mel said:

The transaction took place in July this year - all fully documented and valued and with a complete paper trail as this was via Ebay. DHL wanted to inspect the damaged goods at the recipient's home and although I asked I did not receive an agreement particularly as he had already sent me a full dossier of photographs of the item and the damage. I took the case to the Financial Ombudsman - they just asked for details of the insurance policy  which I supplied  as requested from DHL and I was referred to their insurers - AIG who responded that this is not an insurance related complaint and does not relate to a policy underwritten by AIG. The Financial Ombudsman Service said that they do not deal with this type of complaint and that I would need to contact the Alternative Disputes Resolution Centre which seems to be an organisation from the courier industry to protect the courier industry hence my need for Small Claims

I was hoping that you had noticed I had taken the trouble to make it readable.

Please could you post your messages properly spaced – paragraph in terms of settlement so that they don't appear in a solid block of text and very difficult to read especially for people on small screens such as mobile telephones.

Thanks