WWW.MOUNTBATTENCARSALES.CO.UK/Close Brothers - Faulty car

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 289 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Help please!

Car bought from dealership end of April (2010 plate, but <50k miles), bought on finance. New service & MOT(!).

Within 5 months the clutch became faulty, rear diff went and oil leak found.

Rear diff fixed on my dime, clutch left for the moment as still drivable.

Upon research clutch was found to have been looked into for this vehicle a year ago (to me this seems like someone knew it was worn), there is also a random unknown "metal clip" on the engine, no one knows what it is / what it does, and no one wants to touch it! 

Now another month on the car overheated, poss head gasket or possibly even new engine (written off as more than car is now worth going on it!). 

I haven't even paid the car off, I've had it 6mths and spent £1000's on what feels like a dud and the worst luck in the world.

I feel like somehow the dealership should be responsible for some of this, but upon originally asking about the clutch they didn't care, and a display blamed me. 

Any words of wisdom?

Good solicitors that might work no win / no fee? 

I'm honestly at a loss what to do,

Kia Sorento, 2010 plate bought with about 43k miles on the clock.

now has just over 50k miles.

£10k bought on finance (so end cost about £11k), about £7500 left to pay(!).

Rear diff went about a month ago,

new axle bought (rough cost about £1000 all in).

Clutch at this time also found to be faulty, but drivable, and a bad oil leak (but been keeping an eye and topping up until I deemed it necessary to change clutch).

Over the weekend it suddenly overheated (no warnings came up!), and had to be recovered and towed home.

Poss head gasket / cylinder, poss whole engine. Radiator now HUGE leaking.

Dealership is Mountbatten (south glos), finance through Close Brothers.

Bought on HP, paying £180 a month.

Thanks for the replies

- honestly I'm on the verge of having a mental break down over this >.<

Ok thanks - I've just messaged them this morning outlining the issues and asking what they can do to help.

Here's the issues so far:

Rear diff went and new axle (£1148.10. Work done but not yet paid).

New clutch needed (quote £1588.25).

New oil seal (should be done same time as clutch, not sure on extra cost).

NOW we have a possible head gasket / cylinder gone (approx £2000) or even new engine needed (approx £4000).

Plus a new radiator needed (?)

I just don't know what to ask / how to word it. They're really difficult to get hold of. Shall I wait for a reply to my first message, or send another a bit more forceful?

I can try that

- what happens about the ongoing loan agreement and money etc?

If I reject the car does that cancel?

I'd be happy with even 50% back of what I've paid.

i just wanna give up and buy another car now >.<

Do I need to contact insurance company and ask about writing it off?

Can't even / don't even know what to do in the meantime waiting - I have no vehicle and can't work >.< 

I don't really want to rush into buying another car getting into ANOTHER finance deal Without knowing what's happening here... I'm in limbo >.< 

The rear diff work has been done and invoiced, but I haven't yet paid for it as I was fighting the dealership for the money (and my garage is really good).

Nothing else has yet been done.

I will draft a letter now and post here.

I do have some invoices & quotes I can attach, but nothing yet for the most recent gasket / engine issue (I am waiting on these).

Thanks 

The clutch was going already (over a month ago), but drivable and have been driving without too much issue (also with an oil leak).

At the weekend the car overheated, and I had to be towed home (so another issue).

Mechanics have looked at the car and aren't 100% sure if the gasket & cylinder (approx £2000) will totally fix the problem, or the whole engine might need replacing (approx £4000).

To explore and know 100% they'd have to life the engine hood and have a look, which in itself would be about £1000 job (labour) to do and diagnose 100%.

Obviously within reason the clutch is now a non-entity, but that was the original issue I was fighting for with the dealership, as it was looked into a year ago (which to me is suspicious).

I don't know why the engine suddenly went, as there was NO warning, or temp warning come up.

I'd be happy with giving the car back and them just stopping my finance, and a few £1000 refund for the stress.

"""

To Close Brothers.

I recently (30th April 2022), bought a car (........) from Mountbatten dealership, with your finance (agreement ......).

Within the first 5 months it was found to have a faulty clutch and oil leak, which I informed the dealership about, and then the rear diff went (£1148.10).

The clutch wasn't worn enough to yet be repaired, although was imminent (quote £1588.25).

I didn't understand my rights and didn't realise I had to inform you of any issues / repairs needing to be done at this point.

Last week (30th October), the car overheated and had to be towed home. Mechanics have looked at the car, which now has a leaking radiator, and are not 100% sure whether is it just the gasket / cylinder (approx £2000 repairs), or the whole engine that might need replacing (approx £4000 repairs).

In 6 months I feel that this car should not have had this many issues, and is of unsatisfactory quality.

I am therefore invoking my consumer rights and wish to "return" the car to your ownership to be sorted, and all future finance payments stopped, with my deposit £3000) to be returned to me.

This is my livelihood and the cost and stress of having this vehicle has been incomprehensible."""

How does this sound?

• dx100uk changed the title to WWW.MOUNTBATTENCARSALES.CO.UK/Close Brothers - Faulty car

That sounds perfect yes!

I approached the dealership about the clutch with the quote and they said it was nothing to with them. I still have all emails from them.

I messaged the finance company yesterday before I spoke to you, but have heard nothing back.

I'm getting seriously annoyed…

They have now sent this email three times and every time I have responded with the correct details!

"

Thank you for your email and taking the time to contact us. To ensure you receive a prompt response, please ensure you only reply using this email chain going forward. 

Please be advised that we are still unable to locate your agreement with the information you have provided.

We are sorry for the confusion and for the number of emails you have had to send to us.

Kindly advise how this has affected you and if we are to take action on your behalf?

If you are able to, please provide your 10 digit reference number, ending with a suffix.

Once we are able to locate your agreement, we will be happy to help.

"

I can't work out whether they're really stupid or stalling…

I have already sent the quote (along with first email) of the work needing to be done for a full engine redo. Will that be enough?

I will edit and send that email above that your kindly drafted now, thanks.

Still nothing via email (they have now told me I've been emailing the wrong department even though it's customer services, so I'll be starting again via email).

But got this letter through, I presume, as a reply to my recorded delivery letter.

I have just had the below emailed to me.

First of all, we have not spoken on the phone.

Secondly, (and correct me if I'm wrong), consumer rights is "product not fit for purpose within 6mths", so I do not have to prove it was faulty at purchase?

From what I read online as I have made the complaint, it is up to them to do their own examination to confirm / deny the issue(s), (again please correct me if I am wrong)?

They seem to have totally missed all the other evidence and quotes I have sent them.

"Following on from our previous telephone conversation, in accordance with The Consumer Rights Act (2015), If we are to be in a position to assist you further with the issues faced, we need you to provide us with a report that confirms the issue would have been present when you purchased the vehicle. The report should be from a VAT registered garage, and include the following:

• Be documented on letterheaded paper
  • Include the vehicles current mileage
  • State what the actual issue is
  • Suggest what has caused the issue
  • Provide a statement that clearly suggests that why in their professional opinion, the issue was present when you purchased the vehicle from new
  • List any qualifications the engineer holds

If you could also provide us with evidence of any previous repairs completed to the vehicle it would be appreciated."