Barclays no DPA response

Candice
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1907 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi folks,

I'm chasing Barclays for DPA disclosure for my OH. I wrote the letter to them some 2 months ago and close to the deadline I sent another letter saying the dealine had almost expired. Still no statements have turned up.

They did say they were sent to the local branch but when going to the branch, they had not arrived apparently.

What to do next? The deadline has expired and no written response has been received from them?

Cheers folks

Just to confirm - did you write to them by post or email, and did you include the £10 fee?

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

I would suggest that you now make a formal complaint to the Information Commissioner's Office (the department responsible for DPAs) adviing non-compliance with your valid request.

Also state that you reminded them.

You may wish to cc the bank... but that is your choice.

Please keep us updated....

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi folks,

I'm starting a new claim against Barclays for my OH. The statements finally arrived in 2 huge envelopes, I was quite frankly stunned by the wad of paper, there's a lot more than I was expecting lol. The text on them is also pretty small which isn't great, but thats not my main problem.

Basically as they're not my statements and I don't bank at Barclays, I don't know what all the codes mean and what I should be looking for.

The most common seem to be ATM, BCC, TRF, DDR and STO. I guess these are cash withdrawls, barclaycard uses, bank transfers, direct debits and standing orders respectively. But I have to be blunt and say I'm at a loss what I should be looking for, it's so unclear with Barclays unfortunately :(

Any help on the codes or details I should keep my eye out for would be most welcomely received.

Cheers,

Candice

I know what you mean. I am going through my old Barclays statements and have come across one that is A/C Control Fee. I rang their Telephone Call Centre and spoke to two different people and they don't know what it is either! Say that it is because they are old statements (back from 2003, hardly that old). I am guessing this means Account Control Fee, but what on earth is that. There are so many other charges on these statements that I really can see what else this can be.

Hi,

Did you have to pay for your statements or did you get them after your DPA letter?

Thanks

Ellen

Claim against Capital 1 £713........SETTLED.....Thanks Capital 1!!

On my list:

Barclaycard

Littlewoods

Dorothy Perkins/GE Money

Natwest

HSBC account and mastercard

Hi Ellen

Fortunately I am self employed so I already had them. There are so many vague charges it is a bit of a nightmare.

In my experience you have to pay to have statements resent. I think some banks have a set charge for however many it is you want. ie. doesn't matter if it's one or twenty you still pay the same price (I had to do this with another bank cost about £25.00). Do you still bank with Barclays - should be easy if you do. If not I would give them a ring (found a number eventually on their website). Speak to customer services and get those statements sent out. Say that you need them for tax purposes or something - may be more inclined to help if they don't know the truth!

All the best

Marian

The statements arrived after a DPA request and letter of complaint that the 40-day deadline expired.

The "statements" themselves are A4 portrait printouts with a small monospaced font. The column headings are DETAILS, PAYMENTS, RECEIPTS, DATE, STATEMENT BALANCE and CLRD FOR INTEREST.

The many sheets are naturally in ascending chronological order and throught them are dashed horizontal lines indicating a statement has been produced, to enable you to correspond this data with actual normal statements that have been sent in order to locate on which statement the transaction is.

I'm still in the dark as to what I'm looking for. In the DETAILS column, right-aligned in a 3 character code, I am focusing on looking for these to start with as the RBS (my previous experience in doing this) quite blatantly list theirs as CHG. No such luck for Barclays so please, if anybody knows what to look for please gimme a hand.

Cheers,

Candice

Dear Candice

They don't make it easy do they!

I had a business account so may be different.

I have all sorts of obscure charges like I mentioned before A/C Control Fee etc.

But on my statements unpaid direct debits are listed as unpaids @ £30 etc.

Have you tried looking on the back for a break down of codes. Or their website. They have an obligation to make these statements clear.

Marian

Yeah I looked everywhere, they have no key or index as to what they mean and as they aren't like standard statements their website isn't being too helpful :(

Candice

Surely this is against the law?

They must provide detailed and clearly explained statements. Or if they use codes you should be able to find them quickly and hassle free.

I would ring their customer services and express your feelings, demand some clearer explanations.

I will be back onto them again tomorrow re the A/C Control Fee (whatever this is, every charge you can possibly think of is covered in these statements so have no idea what this is)

Marian

If your information came as part of a DPA request then there should be a section somewhere which clearly explains all the codes. The Dat Protection Act is very clear that information has to be provided in an intelligable format, and all codes and shorthand must be explained.

Robertxc v. Abbey - £3300 Settled in full

Robertxc v. Clydesdale - £750 Settled in full

Nationwide v. Robertxc - £2000 overdraft wiped out, Default removed by order of the sheriff

Robertxc v. Style Card - Default removed by order of the sheriff

Robertxc v. Abbey (1) - Data Protection Act action. £750 compensation

Robertxc v. Abbey (2) - Data Protection Act action. £2000 compensation, default removed

The opinions on this post are those of Robertxc and not necessarily the opinions of the group and do not constitute sound legal advice. You are advised to seek professional legal advice.

When I worked at Barclays, on "internal" documents most charges were shown as COM (Commission). They may also be shown as ADV which means the charge was applied manually and not automatically.

Note this refers to Personal Accounts - I'm not sure how business banking produce their statments, because obviously those customers get more charges (for services they've used as well as penelties). But if you see COM, then that's a charge.

Look for "UNPAIDS OUT......I @ £xx

Look for "UNAUTH O/D FEE....£xx

Look for "PAID REFERRAL....1 @ £xx

These are the main ones.

• Haha 1

If this has been useful to you, please click on the scales at bottom left of post. Thanks.

Advice & opinions of Rooster-UK are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Please use your own judgment.

-------------------------------------------------------

LOOK! Free CAG Toolbar.

Follow link for more information.

------------------------------------------------------

Please donate,

Help us to help others.

LINKS....

Forum Rules.

FAQs....

• 12 years later...

This topic was closed on 09 March 2019.

If you have a problem which is similar to the issues raised in this topic, then please start a new thread and you will get help and support there.

If you would like to post up some information which is relevant to this particular topic then please flag the issue up to the site team and the thread will be reopened.

- Consumer Action Group

This topic was closed on 09 March 2019.

If you have a problem which is similar to the issues raised in this topic, then please start a new thread and you will get help and support there.

If you would like to post up some information which is relevant to this particular topic then please flag the issue up to the site team and the thread will be reopened.

- Consumer Action Group

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1907 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks