Can animal rescue centre force me to have my dog neutered

Bunty Rothsay
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 792 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Are you sure it's your dog?  Some rescues have an arrangement where you don't become the owner, just the keeper.  A bit like fostering I guess.  I'm not sure exactly how it works but I think you need to check your paperwork carefully.

54 minutes ago, Bunty Rothsay said:

I signed the papers - but it said before you take the dog. So, have they not breached their own agreement?

Are they offering to pay for the procedure?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Bunty Rothsay said:

But yes i will check re ownership.

When I took a cat from the RSPCA some years ago I just signed the paperwork after a quick scan.  When I looked in more detail later I discovered I had not paid them for the animal.  I had made a donation and agreed to keep/care for it.  In most cases this would never be an issue and it wasn't for me. 

As it happens, I agree with your stance on the automatic neutering of male dogs.  I'm not against it but I wouldn't do it without need and if you are going to do it then timing is all important.  How old is the dog?  Too young - very bad (age is breed dependent), quite old and I think the moment has passed.  There's a risk/reward issue whenever a general anaesthetic is involved.

I do understand a rescue's stance  to an extent as it's easier to have a blanket rule.  To what extent do you think they'll continue to follow up?