Peugeot Car Insurance - Cancelled Without Notice

NinjaMoose
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 795 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, I took out a car insurance policy with Peugeot Insurance in December. They aren’t able to automatically validate no claims discount so I was asked to send them proof. I sent them this via email as advised in their letter but a few weeks later got another letter saying they hadn’t received it. I rang their customer help line and was given a different email address to send it - which I did. 

Perhaps a month later I got another letter saying they still hadn’t received it so I decided to send it via post as I felt the email route wasn’t working. I noticed yesterday that I had had a refund to my credit card from them on Wednesday. I checked on MIB and my car is indeed no longer insured - I haven’t had any notice that my insurance was being cancelled per their terms, and worse still, was unaware that I was uninsured. 

I intend to ring them as soon as their customer help line is open tomorrow but I was wondering if anyone had any advice as to what I should do. I’m particularly concerned that I will have to notify new insurers that I have had a policy cancelled indefinitely, at great additional cost to myself indefinitely. Thanks in advance for any advice!

I would start off by sending them an SAR. In addition to any documentation, you want records of telephone calls. You will also want to see evidence that they give you notice of cancellation.

Presumably you have evidence that you sent them the information they were looking for.
You say that later on you sent them the document in hard copy by mail. How long ago was that?

When you phone them tomorrow, you should first of all have read our customer services guide and implemented the advice there. It's very important that you protect yourself and keep an evidence trail.

You need to submit a formal complaint. If an Insurers cancels they have to give 7 days notice using the communication method you choose.  So get checking your emails including spam/junk folder.

Agree also send the SAR.

Don't be too concerned by the cancellation. A cancellation  will increase premiums if it relates to fraud or attempted fraud or some other form of misconduct.  Insurers only inform a central database if there is any issue other Insurers should know about.  So this cancellation is unlikely to have been reported to any central Insurers database.

But cancellation is a pain in the backside, as it means online quotes are not going to be available, so you will have to visit or telephone Insurers or brokers for quotes. And when you speak to humans, this cancellation should hopefully not cause you any problems or cost you more in premiums.

If the Insurance is underwritten by UK Insurance Ltd this is Direct Line and their complaints contact details are below.

We understand that things don’t always go to plan and there may be times when you feel we’ve  
let you down. If this happens, we want you to tell us. We’ll do our best to put things right as soon  
as possible or explain something we could have made clearer.
We’d like you to speak to us about your problem by calling this number 0800 051 0144 or  
01903 636952. If you’d prefer to write to us you can send the letter to
Customer Relations Manager
Churchill Court
Westmoreland Road
Bromley
BR1 1DP

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

• dx100uk changed the title to Peugeot Car Insurance - Cancelled Without Notice

Thank you both, really appreciate your advice. I will send a SAR ASAP and be sure to follow the advice in the customer service guide. 

I have double checked my emails and junk and have received nothing from them. I have evidence that I had emailed the proof to the two different email addresses they gave me and posted it on the same day I received the last correspondence from them on the 1st February. 

Regarding the cancellation potentially being registered with a central database - is it likely they will agree to remove any such record if they acknowledge the error is on their part?

Yes they will remove the cancellation if it was their error.

They may offer to reinstate the Insurance if they find they have made an error.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Thank you both for your help. They have agreed to remove the cancellation from the database and reinstated the cover. 

During the conversation he did say they had printed a notification letter on the 15th March, one day before they cancelled it so I'm not sure how they expected me to know!

• Like 1