Barclays Refuses cash deposit

Theangel1971
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 814 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

recently I asked my uncle if he could make a cash deposit for me at my local Barclays branch. I was working and only get 1/2 hour lunch break, with the queues these days 1/2 hour is not enough time to make a deposit.

I gave my uncle my current account card and sent him in with the money (a direct debit was due to be paid so I needed the money to be in my account in time to pay the bill).

They refused to let him pay the money in as they said he would need a bank slip but didn't let him have a bank slip!

I telephoned customer services, the first one said he was not allowed to make a deposit on my behalf without a card - I explained that I had given him my card then she changed her reason,

the second person I spoke to apologised and was about to do something about it and we got cut off

The 3rd person said only the account holder is allowed to pay money into the bank as it's a money laundering issue.

I would like to know what your views are on this topic please?

Edited by dx100uk
Sentence spacing added to block of text

Hi Angel,

He would probably have been ok if you gave him a paying-in book with your account details on it. The bank could not give him "a bank slip" that you refer to above. Do you not have a paying-in book ?

Strictly speaking, only YOU can pay cash into your account and this is down to Anti Money Laundering Regs that we've had now for years.

What sort of amount are you talking about here roughly ?

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

there are normally blank payment slips inside the bank .

use them all the time to pay into various accounts not mine helping out OAP's.

never had a problem.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

This is what Barclays website says about paying in cash

How do I pay cash in at branches? | Barclays

There isn't actually a category for what happened because technically as your Uncle was a non-customer he shouldn't have had your card and (presumably) your PIN number. But they could have been more helpful!

Money laundering regulations can be an issue but they don't forbid a non-customer paying cash into your account. The Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) requires banks to have "adequate policies and procedures " to make sure your account isn't being used to pay in the proceeds of crime but I'd be very surprised if those procedures kicked in for a one-off payment as low as £200.

My work around next time would be to give the cash to someone who has at least £200 in their own bank account (and who does online banking). They keep the cash but transfer £200 from their account to your account online. It should go through within an hour.  Has to be someone you trust of course!

Hi guys,

He asked for a paying in slip and she refused to give him one. This is the only time I have asked someone to put money in so it wasn't like I have been regularly getting random people to pay money into the account. It just seems a bit wrong that doing a basic thing like that has become so complicated. He was able to put the money into one of my other accounts at a different bank no problem at all. Think I might just change my bank to a more considerate one.

thanks for your replies