Insurance company offering two options on my Vauxhall Zafira that ended up in a moorland bog

vivvov
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 810 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hope the question is straight forward.

In recent inclement weather I hit a patch of black ice on a moorland road and ended up in a very wet bog

I called my recovery firm but was told 'accident not breakdown' so reluctantly informed my insurance company, who pulled the vehicle out, trucked to assessors and have now decided the car is uneconomical to repair.g

Obvious damage is as follows:

At the time of recovery I turned on the engine and gingery reversed it towards the truck as the recovery guy operated the winch. The exhaust was blowing (possibly from the back box being damaged on the moorland grass/a stone)

, the front bumper has pulled slightly from the passenger wing (and is showing a couple of tabs),

the front passenger plastic wheel arch came away in two pieces and there was a small hole in the back bumper presumably from the same stone that damaged the exhaust.

Plus cosmetic scuffs to paint work from moor grass...but car had 12 years worth of scuffs already.

Insurance company have offered payout of approx £1700 as a right off or my car back and £1300 (£1700 minus salvage cost). I've never had an accident so never had to mak a claim

The insurance company sent me a series of photos to assess for damage but I have not received or been provided with any detailed damages report from the damage assessors.  Am I supposed to receive a detailed report on damage/likely cost of repair?

I'd like my Zafira back as it has been a reliable vehicle and was informed by my insurer that I could simply make an appointment to collect my vehicle from the assessors compound, inform my insurers that I was in possession of my car and then I would be still be insured to drive it home.

However with no detailed information on the damage, other than turning the key and setting off with my fingers crossed, how do I know it's safe to drive away?

Is this how things work? 

Having never had an accident like this it all seems a bit amateur hour!

Any replies would be much appreciated.

Edited by dx100uk
added A few blank lines only..dx

No for a car of that value, you would not get a detailed report, as the report would be too expensive, compared to the value of the claim.

Someone with sufficient knowledge of repair costs would have looked at it and decided based on what they could see, roughly how much it would cost to repair.  If the repair cost is more than about 70% of the market value, then it would be a write off.

Up to you really.  Go to visit the car and see if it is in a safe state to drive.  If it is, then accept the £1300 and drive it home.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

• dx100uk changed the title to Insurance company offering two options on my Vauxhall Zafira that ended up in a moorland bog

if you not clued up on repairing yourself you need to think the cost of having exhaust and bumper fixed and long as you haven't done further damage to the car otherwise your throwing money into a car that should be scrapped

if it was me i buy it back and fix myself but exhaust are cheap to get fixed anyway but if you ask a garage to fix bumper they might take the mick and charge you stupid money so you really need to have a good think that is it best to take money and buy another up to you really