Is it the DWP or HMRC

Loughton wannabe
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 886 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I'm getting really thread bare with the job centre (DWP) and I just do not know who to believe.  (I do get most people probably have the opposite problem)

I made a claim to Universal credit in April 2021 on the 1st, get you have the 7 day wait which makes payment date the 7th of a month.  My understanding from the job centre is on declaration of any new employment live feeds are started with HRMC. This ran fine until I left an almost 6 month Employer end of Sept - this is when the problems began.

Woke on 1st October asking me to an appointment, I thought this a joke at first as I had been paid in full on 30/09 from employment but was powerless to then stop a month's (September) universal credit which turned up.  At this point as I had been working for a shady company I believed the Job Centre when they blamed this ex employer advising the employer simply didn't HMRC report until the 5th Oct and thus was late. The job centre told me this September payment would rectify itself but it actually really never did and I can understand why*.  They advised week commencing 12th October at a face to face, I had to register my then unemployment whilst checks for a new job was going on.  

October come shady company didn't pay outstanding holiday pay so with no wages being reported via HMRC nonetheless another month's Universal credit for October in full turned up. *Perhaps it would have helped had this employer put something through but as they didn't I appreciate it would have looked like no earnings in or for whole of October.

At this point I went to work for the NHS after the seriously under exaggerated 6 week's background checks allowed me to go to work, which the Job Centre, before starting oddly asked me how my first wages would go which I recolled I'd been told by the NHS trust I would only be getting one week's pay for working November due to strict payroll cut off and then would have to go around to late December before receiving any more wages come to me from that trust - I got the impression JCP wasn't totally happy with this but explained UC would work in the background.

All my starting of jobs has been correctly declared through my journal. 

I received one week's from the UK's largest employer of £340.00 with a payslip and P45 promptly landing on payday for 26th November.

I received Universal credit of £137.00 for November.

I am now advised that the UK's largest employer have, well, reported late.  I have to attend job centre for a face to face next week despite now back in work, for a 'routine' appointment all because of this late report situation (although all their confirmation states the appointment is mandatory and for job seeking conditions) part of me is beginning to wonder if this is just to see ID each time. 

How does this happen??

Can you get corrupt jobcentres?

Why are HMRC being slow, I just can't believe I'm hearing twice now of late reporting be it little companies to large organisations.

Can I get my MP involved.

Edited by dx100uk
formatting

For UC, this sounds quite normal and nothing odd about employment earnings reporting.

The HMRC RTI earnings reporting rules are that employers must report wages they have paid their employees, no more than 1 day after they have paid the wages.  UC can see from from the records available, the date the wages were paid and the date the employer reported the information to HMRC.

Why is it critical employers report earnings on time ?

If you have UC assessment period ending say 25th of each month, UC will receive on 26th of the month, the earnings employers told HMRC they paid for the period, 26th of one month to the 25th of the next month e.g. 26th October to 25th November.   If the employers paid wages on say 23rd November, but did not report the earnings until 27th November, the UC system will calculate the award with the earnings missing.  UC system and Job Centre will note you as intensive work search due to missing earnings data, with a Work search review appointment being booked.

The issue with NHS payroll date is quite common, as I think they pay last Friday of each month ? Therefore the date people get paid varies quite a lot. And with the 25th end of assessment period example, this causes problems with no earnings being considered by UC one AP ( assessment period) and two months earnings being considered by UC for the next AP.

If you only receive the standard allowance and are now working, you might want to consider withdrawing the UC claim by sending a journal stating this, rather than have Job Centre appointments booked for you due to the earnings reporting system in place.

• Thanks 1
  • I agree 1

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Thanks, I have been guided by other forums isn't as simple as saying you want your UC account closed.

I am concerned in months when DWP then suddenly feel they have been 'over paying';.

I never asked them  to get involved on September 30th  - far, far from it.

To hear the very same two excuses from a small backstreet employer to the UK's absolute largest is hard to comprehend.

I don't know about last friday of the month, I was told the 26th was payday as a fixed term employee by the NHS trust I was employed by.  I'm aware from the widely made available handbook to anyone of my more nearest trust their payday is actually the the 25th of a month. I received both P45 and payslip for the day of payday ie already populated for 26th so really don't don't get how an nhs trust does this and then takes days to report.

I am not happy to waste a 30 min lunch break if this is simply handing over ID and an out in 5 mins as I suspect. 

For UC earnings are considered in the assessment period that you received those earnings. So the date you are paid money is key. 

Go to the payments section of your UC claim and view the statements showing.

The statements will show you what employment earnings have been used to calculate any award amount due.

For the assessment periods, compare your records such as Bank statements showing wages being paid. Are any earnings missing ?

If there are earnings amounts missing as employers have failed to report these to HMRC, then report these in your journal.  What UC will then do, is create 'report your earnings from employers to-do's' for the relevant assessment periods. You then complete the to-do actions to confirm the missing earnings details.  UC overpayment  is then calculated and will be referred to DWP Debt Management.  You then close the claim and contact Debt Management to arrange repayment of the relevant amount.

NHS pay dates are close to some UC AP end dates. And due to variable pay date, if you leave the claim open, you will keep being asked to attend the Job Centre after any AP when the earnings don't fall in an AP.

• Like 1

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Thanks for your patience with me, I can understand all you've said and it's been really helpful.  I don't know I can't help feel it almost seems like to have started a claim on the 1st of the month has actually been my error/problemo here to start with back in the spring.

It will be interesting and I'm only to glad with what happens with my new employer who is paying extra early and in full for Christmas come the 22nd.

Pleeeesssase let it stop UC!

My HMRC personal account is in a terrible mess anyhow for the past year, I've had their first reply but that doesn't answer much so will go to 2nd level.