Covid: Furlough employment questions

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1132 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I work for a delivery company based in South of England that employs 3 London drivers. We only work 3 days a week and a total of 21 hours.

We were all placed on 80% Furlough again last December, in which has been extended until end of September 2021.

We all received an email a few weeks ago to advise that they were intending to resume London deliveries on Monday 12th April and due to the reduced number of customers that only one driver would be required. 

One of the drivers resigned, so there is now only two of us. Therefore they suggested that we alternate between the two (some days furlough / some days full pay) but no holiday to be taken in the meantime due to no cover. Can they chose to do this, while using the furlough scheme? 

I am not trying to look a gift horse and I am grateful to still have a job but I am only trying to cover myself from any possible implications in the future.

On checking my payslips in which I had to request as they were not forwarded, should the Furlough gross figure equate to 80% of my usual gross monthly salary?

Also if any holiday pay taken during furlough, should it be paid at 100% of my daily pay and not 80%?

Should my Work Place pension, tax and NIC be deducted from monthly pay? 

Should the notification have been in writing rather than a brief email? Should there have been anything else to mention or agreed to?

There is also the issue about being asked to return to work considering that drivers have not been vaccinated or do not feel safe and we have received no delivery covid protocols information.

I have tried looking at the government and other websites but all seems rather unclear. 

Apologies for all the questions but any advice would be appreciated or what I need to review or ask.

Many thanks for looking.

Hi,

yes they can request part time working, part furlough under flexi furlough changes introduced in (I think, but it's changed a lot!) November. Seems fairer than having just one of you return.

Wages should be 80% on furlough. Pension, tax and NI continue to be deducted, yes.

Holidays should be paid at 100%.

An email to explain furlough is fine. You would need to have formally disagreed at the time of issue, so a little late now.  HMRC have confirmed no formal acceptance letter is required. (It's thousands of people for some companies, tracking and chasing confirmations  back would be a full time job, so managing exceptions/objections was deemed ok.)

There are steps companies have been advised to take to ensure they have a COVID secure workplace. Ask to see the protocols at your workplace. If these are in place, you cannot reasonably refuse to return, given there is now work for you. The HSE guidance is here. https://www.hse.gov.uk/coronavirus/working-safely/index.htm

Hope that helps.

• Thanks 1

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

Many thanks for that Emmzzi, was unaware of the flexi furlough changes.

The reason I asked because as you mentioned it should be fairer for all but again my company has stated that they are only prepared to use one driver at the moment and keep the other on furlough, even though the confirmed workload for the month already is enough for two.

And thanks again for the HSE guidance details.

I can assure you before the last lockdown a lot of restaurants / bars kitchens where I delivered to were not adhering to COVID protocols and no wonder it ended up the way it did.

Cheers

Edited by Baz1994