Another 50% offer

britbrick
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6613 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Dear all

First of all, many apologies for interposing a question on AlanfromDerby's thread......

This time last year I took Abbey through Moneyclaim, which they ignored. So by default judgement, and bailiff enforcement, they paid up in full over £1000 without any comment.

I fear however that Abbey are now taking a more proactive stance - we do not have any recent (i.e. within the last month) examples of them caving in. They are filing defences with the court.

They have written to me offering 50% and saying:

'...your claim seems to be based on an argument that you should not pay any charges at all. I would however ask you to consider that it cannot be correct that Abbey cannot charge anything at all. Even if it is correct that the charges are greater than Abbey's actual loss, Abbey would be entitled to charge something'

....and they have sent copy of their written defence in legalese.

How far can we push this and what in practice happens court-wise? Do the court make a judgement without Abbey and me appearing?

britbrick

Did you get my pm britbrick?

Settled Claims:

Abbey: £4025 Claimed 27/02/06 - Paid in full 19/06/06

NatWest: £4529 Claimed 10/05/06 - Paid in full 1/08/06

Halifax: £1150 lba 18/05/06 - Paid in full 07/06/06

Natwest CC: £420 Initial letter 25/07/06 - Paid in full 08/06

Woolwich: £1100 Paid in full 28/2/07 + Default removed

NatWest Pt 2: £1700 Claimed 10/05/06 - Paid in full 7/2/07 + Defaults removed

Current Claims:

Abbey Pt 2: £2300 + adverse credit removal claimed 23/03/07

Alliance & Leicester: £1421 + adverse credit removal claimed 23/03/07

Refunds pending:

Capital Bank: Swift Advances: Halifax

Son's Refunds pending:

Abbey: HSBC

Had exactly the same.

I replied with " you will notice that I am not claiming the extra interest incurred because of the charges. I believe this to be a fair way of recouping your losses due to my breach of contract. Therefore, I cannot accept your offer of 50%." etc...

Within a week a letter and cheque for the full amount plus 8% APR and costs arrived.

If you feel that we have helped you, or you would like to help keep this web site running so that others can continue to get their money back, please click the donate button at the top of the forum.

Advice & opinions of Dave, The Bank Action Group and The Consumer Action Group are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability.

Use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.

------------

Add me as your friend on FaceBook - I need all the friends I can get :-(

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=577405151

------------

The onus is on Abbey to prove what their costs actually are. The law does not say that they cannot levy a charge, what the law says is that any charge must be equivalent to their actual costs incurred through the breach.

If they are unwilling to produce evidence of their costs, then it would be reasonable to assume that the charge is disproportionate, and therefore unlawful. In which case the charge in it's entirety, is unenforceable.

If they were to levy a fee of £2 - then they would not have any problems, and a court would back them without a shadow of doubt. The point is though, we can pluck figures out of the air - in the end, only the banks know how much these fees should be to be lawful.

Once they start charging fees at a lawful level the court actions will stop - and they will be able to recover their properly incurred costs.

• 12 years later...

This topic was closed on 09 March 2019.

If you have a problem which is similar to the issues raised in this topic, then please start a new thread and you will get help and support there.

If you would like to post up some information which is relevant to this particular topic then please flag the issue up to the site team and the thread will be reopened.

- Consumer Action Group

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6613 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks