Caught speeding, valid insurance?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1200 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

I received a NIP for traveling 39mph in a 30 zone (mobile speed camera) in December 2020. As it is my offence, the police sent a letter requesting to know who was driving with three possible outcomes: speed awareness course, 3 points of contest at court. I provided my details and sent the form off. 

The police sent me a letter this week asking for confirmation of my insurance... I realised that in October 2020 I removed a private number plate off the vehicle and notified the DVLA and the V5 form but I didn't norify my insurers. 

I called the insurance company today and updated my number plate and they said technically I was insured and the vehicle was insured and it depends on how linient the police will be. 

I am just concerned as the recent letter states possible prosecution for driving with out insurance with a possible fine and 6 to 8 points. 

If they add that to the original 3 I might be given that would be 11 for a first offence. 

Has anyone got any experience on this or any advice as I am pretty worried! 

Thanks 

just tell them the truth surely,

it wasn't purposefully does and as you insurance company say, technically you were insured and so was the vehicle.

it's not as if there was no insurance whatsoever and you were purposefully driving without ever taking out any.

• Like 1

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

On 26/01/2021 at 22:10, Basil4u said:

I called the insurance company today and updated my number plate and they said technically I was insured and the vehicle was insured and it depends on how linient the police will be. 

If I were you I would want to get confirmation of that in writing from them ASAP.  (ie that notwithstanding that you had failed to notify them of the registration change, you still had valid motor insurance with them)

You can then either pass that letter on to the police (or whoever the prosecuting body is) and the insurance charge should be dropped, or you can use the letter in court as a defence.

Get confirmation in writing from your insurer that you were insured by them at the time of the speeding.  (Refer to your earlier telephone conversation)

EDIT:  I'm confused your insurers talked about it depending how lenient the police would be(?).  If your insurer says you were insured then you were insured - police have nothing to be lenient about because you were covered.  GET IT IN WRITING!

Edited by Manxman in exile