CRS chasing me for cancelling a DD unfairly - Energie Fitness

SpartanWK
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1221 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, 

I joined Energie fitness (previously Fit4Less) on 5/04/2016.

From looking at the terms, it appears that it had a min term period (but does not state how long) and then one I have complete the min term, I can cancel at anytime if I give them 30 days notice. 

In July 2019 I was made redundant and moved over 15 miles away from my gym.

Due to this I cancelled my direct debit, not realising that I was meant to give them 30 days notice.

I received a call 2 months later from Credit Resolution Services stating that I owed £100 for cancelling the membership.

I advised them of my circumstances and the reasons I cancelled it but the woman was rude and didn't seem to care or want to hear my reasonings

I refused to speak to them anymore.

I hadn't heard anything from them for over a year and have just seen that they have sent an email, advising that the debt is now £200 and if they don't receive payment in the next 7 days, they will be passing the debt to Zinc Group Ltd. 

I'm scared that this could affect my credit rating and i'm not sure what to do.

I was with the gym for over 3 years so surely any minimum contract term should have been over,

I hadn't used the gym in 2 months prior to cancelling and I had a genuine reason and proof as to why I cancelled

(redundancy which according to their terms is one of the reasons to cancel the agreement).

So think it's unfair for them to charge me £200, just for not realising I had to give 30 days notice.  

Does anyone have any advise on what I can and should do? 

ignore them all.

a DCA is not a BAILIFF

and has

ZERO legal powers on ANY debt - no matter what it's type

Gym Debts don't appear on credit files

gyms don't do court.

should you wish...

simply browse a few threads here and find one of slick132 letters 

and write to the GYM offering i months membership but no unlawfully penalty fees to close the matter.

give them 14 days to accept

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Hi Spartan and welcome to CAG

They are chasing you because you cancelled the DD without giving the required 30 notice. However, even if you cancelled properly, there's a good chance Harlands/CRS would still find some lame reason to seek more in gym fees and admin fees.

Zinc will no nothing more than send you a begging letter so ignore that completely.

As DX says, find one of my drafts and write to Harlands offering to pay the final fee for the notice you failed to give mid-2019, but giving them just 14 days to accept.

But stay OFF the phone from now on. Make no response other that 1 letter to Harlands.

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

use royal mail and get free proof of posting from any PO counter

2nd class is ok.

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)