Obtaining a refund from Motor Factor.

Steve C
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1260 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Just over a month ago I purchased two bearing bearing kits from a local motor factor. Having to rely on someone with a hydraulic press to carry out the work for me ( who decided just one side needed replacing ) it was only today that I returned the second wheel bearing kit to the motor factor for a refund.

Initially I was informed that I had exceeded my 30 day limit for a refund, however after a quick chat with the manager it was decided that because it was a stock item ( as opposed to an item which was especially ordered in ) I could get a refund. The cashier then requested my name, address and postcode. I mentioned I had paid cash and my name and address wasn`t required then, I also mentioned I wasn`t happy to give my personal details due to data protection. I was advised they needed my details in order to carry out the refund.

I elected to leave the motor factor without a refund and returned home with the surplus wheel bearing kit.

Just wondering whether it is common practice for businesses to request personal details in such circumstances.

Many thanks.

I really can't tell you if it's common practice – but of course they are doing you a favour giving you the refund.

I can perfectly understand people wanting to keep their profile/identity secret – but of course every time one sends an email, uses Google to browse anything, uses a credit card or debit card, the information about you flies around the world and is probably shared with multiple data holders people instantaneously.

I'm not sure whether it's really a big deal that a local motor factor has your name and address. Did you ask them if they are using it for any marketing purposes or if they're going to sell it? Was it simply goes down on their database to track the money that is going out from there till.

It is usual that a Motor Factor wanted your details. They were already doing you a favour in two ways. Firstly, they are a trade outlet and wouldn't normally do a buyers remorse refund, after all they are a Motor Factor and not Marks & Spencer. Secondly, they extended an arbitrary return period to accommodate you.

The least you could do in return was give them your name and address. They would not use this for marketing. Rather it is good accounting practice because if anything suspicions was to occur they could trace the refund to you. For example employee theft, if refunds were allowed willy nilly and without control that could be very bad. Your details are a perfectly good form of financial control.

Looks like you have blown it.

H

44 years at the pointy end of the motor trade. :eek:

GARUDALINUX.ORG

Garuda Linux comes with a variety of desktop environments like KDE, GNOME, Cinnamon, XFCE, LXQt-kwin, Wayfire, Qtile, i3wm and Sway to choose from.

As the others have pointed out, you don't have any right to a refund but they have gone above and beyond what's required of them to do this for you. 

However, what I would say is that if they are asking for your personal data then they are required to explain the reason for needing this. Probably all above board like the others have said. Although a reply of 'because we need it to do a refund' doesn't explain why they actually need it. A reply of 'to help ensure we are not defrauding the company by noting who we actually refunded' would be a lot clearer and satisfactory. 

Would suggest that you go back and see if they'll still let you do the refund and politely ask them to be a bit clearer on how they plan to use your data and check definately not for marketing purposes.

Edited by jacktheband

Thanks very much for all your replies and for the details and comments within.

As jacktheband commented "A reply of 'to help ensure we are not defrauding the company by noting who we actually refunded' would be a lot clearer and satisfactory. "

An explanation would have made things a lot clearer and an assurance that my details would not be sold on or used for marketing would have made me feel more comfortable.

I had forgotten about the 30 day rule, but my post was meant to be more of one of curiosity about GDPR. I still have a wheel bearing kit for when the other side becomes defective so in that sense I am not out of pocket.

I am however now a little wiser.