Your parking ticket may be unlawful

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5010 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Also they can of course make a citizens arrest as can Community Support Officers.

....as was confirmed by the police in our local press when PCSO's first hit the streets here.

As an aside for a moment, I believe a ceretain form of words has to be used when making a citizens arrest. Anyone any idea what this is?

Jimbo 44 - always happy to help, but always willing to learn from being corrected too!!! Whilst any advice given may be based upon personal experience, please always be sure you seek guidance from a professional in the particular field.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark, but a large group of professionals built the Titanic.

A 'click' on the scales is always appreciated if I have helped. Many Thanks!

• Replies 955
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There is no particular form of words for a citizens arrest other than gotcha!

You can only make a citizens arrest AFTER the crime is commited except in the case of protecting the vunerable such as the elderly/infirm or children. Then you can act just BEFORE the commission of the crime, but you better have good grounds for your suspicions

ALL offences are now arrestable parking or otherwise.

If its council operated parking restrictions then you can't commit an offence as it has been decriminalised. If its a police operated traffic warden then you can

Meaning that tickets payable to police are allowed to say 'offence'?

There is no particular form of words for a citizens arrest other than gotcha!

You can only make a citizens arrest AFTER the crime is commited except in the case of protecting the vunerable such as the elderly/infirm or children. Then you can act just BEFORE the commission of the crime, but you better have good grounds for your suspicions

JonCris.

Im not sure there are any exceptions to the citizens power of arrest as regards elderly / infirm. An Indictable offence must have been committed (no exceptions). Only a constable can arrest prior to an offence ( About to be committed).

Although all offences are now arrestable for constables provided certain conditions apply this is not the case for a citizens arrest. Only indictable offence. ( Which includes most things like theft, damage, assault) but certainly doesnt include any sort of parking offences.

Its a bit of a mine field really

7 actions in progress

amount refunded so far £6500

roger I haven't said anything different. I only make the point that a citizen CAN make an arrest if he has reasonable ground to think a vunerable person is at imminent risk. You don't have to wait until the old lady is mugged before acting if you have reasonably grounds to suspect it's about to happen.

As I keep saying if the parking is council controlled it isn't an offence & if the council claim it is then any ticket issued claiming to be a fine or a penalty is unenforcable.

If it's police controlled then it is an offence for which you can be fined

HI

I know i should read the whole of this thread and i will when i get the time but in the meanwhile will somone take pitty and answer a stupid question.

I got a ticket for parking in a councill car park (MY Dissabled badge had run out) it says i have commited an offence under ther road trafic regulations 1984 it has no date of issue and says i must pay £20 or £50 if recieved after 7 days from the date of offence it does however give a dat e of when the ticket was completed half way down the form.

Help

Peter

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES TO COLD CALLERS PROMISING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES FOR COSTLY TELEPHONE CONSULTATIONS WITH SO CALLED "EXPERTS" THEY INVARIABLY ARE NOTHING OF THE SORT

BEWARE OF QUICK FIX DEBT SOLUTIONS, IF IT LOOKS LIKE IT IS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT INVARIABLY IS

HI Again

I have had a look throught thread and hve not been able to find what i am loking for (my fault I am sure)there seems to be very little information on tickets issued under the 1984 act.I was parked in a council parking spot and am dissabled my badge had run out last month and i am waiting for the new one.

Is ther no prescribed form that tickets issued under this act have to take .Any information would be very appretiated.

Cheers Peter

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES TO COLD CALLERS PROMISING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES FOR COSTLY TELEPHONE CONSULTATIONS WITH SO CALLED "EXPERTS" THEY INVARIABLY ARE NOTHING OF THE SORT

BEWARE OF QUICK FIX DEBT SOLUTIONS, IF IT LOOKS LIKE IT IS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT INVARIABLY IS

HI Again

I have had a look throught thread and hve not been able to find what i am loking for (my fault I am sure)there seems to be very little information on tickets issued under the 1984 act.I was parked in a council parking spot and am dissabled my badge had run out last month and i am waiting for the new one.

Is ther no prescribed form that tickets issued under this act have to take .Any information would be very appretiated.

Cheers Peter

Peter

The tickets issued under the 1984 Act are different in that it is not decriminilised.

The final ajudicator is a magistrates court which if you do not pay is where it will end up and not the parking appeals service.

You can appeal firstly to the council who will look at your appeal and then if rejected have the choice to either summons you or forget it.

If you do decide to challange it you could be liable to costs at a magistrates court.

Neil Herron who runs Metric martyers website has done just that on a number of occasions with interesting results. If you want good advice on this it would be worth contacting him. put Metric martyers in to Google and it will come up.

7 actions in progress

Hi folks

Quick question: went to a footy match last night, my friend was parked on double yellows in a quiet side street (yeah, he knew the risk but has done it loads before without problems) and returned to see that the whole row of cars had been ticketed, shortly after kick off by a shocking coincidence. His car is dark blue, but the ticket says black- as the ticket is technically incorrect can he claim it's invalid and ask for it to be cancelled? I'm thinking if they claim it was too dark to see that they (the council) should provide better street lighting! I will also check it over for the other technicalities mentioned in the thread, ie date of issue/offence.etc.

Thanks in advance

Adam

Any advice or opinion given is done so in the spirit of goodwill and assistance, but please note I'm not legally trained or qualified, only hoping to help. My advice or opinion is based on experience in my life, and research from forums such as this and other useful sites.

Please seek professional legal advice if you are in any doubt about what to do next with your personal case.

There are many threads on this forum to help you and I do recommend searching around to see what steps others have taken. You're in good hands with CAG-

buy a ConsumerActionGroup.co.uk email address, and help to keep this forum going!

If you like what I say, feel free to give those scales a tickle :-)

Hi, my name is Nickie and I have a Parking Ticket!!

Back in October, I stopped in a Council car park to pop into the shops. I paid for a Pay and Display ticket (which I still have). Anyway, came back to the car park and got in my car and drove away. When I got home, I noticed that the PCN had been put under my windscreen (the car park was really dark, so I didn't see it in the car park). Anyway, I wrote a letter and said I had displayed the ticket and sent them a copy of it. They wrote back and basically said tough, and that I wasn't displaying it correctly - it was a ticket without a sticky bit on the back, so I put it on the dashboard above my steering wheel.

Anway, I now have the notice to the owner, and need to reply to it... I'm not paying the ticket (cos I already paid to park in the car park!)

Anyone able to help me with how to get out of this ticket.... If I had noticed the PCN at the time I would have taken pics, but I didn't notice it till I got home.

Also, given all the confusion over wording on PCNs, is there anything wrong with this:

PCN

Serial Number: xxx

Date of notice: 08/10/06

Vehicle Reg: xxx

Make: xxxx

was seen in: St Georges Car Park, NO TICKET DISPLAYED

Logged at: 13:29

Issued at: 13:30 08/10/06

by Parking attendant 037 who had reasonable cause to believe that the following parking contravention had occurred

Offence: 83

Parked in a Pay and Display car park without clearly displaying a valid ticket

A penalty charge of £80 is now payable and must be paid before the end of the period of 28 days beginning with the date of this notice. If its paid before the end of the period of 14 days beginning with the date of this notice then amount is reduced to £40. If payment of this notice is made you lose the opportunity of further appeal.

--------

Anyways, I am going to appeal somehow - cos they can't have a photo or anything of my car without the P&D ticket on the dashboard, because it was there!!

But help would be appreciated.

Nickie

Angelsdawn

There is a case on the NPAS website which is similar to yours. The ticket was so flimsey and had no method of fixing it to the windscreen it slipped of the dashboard and a FPN was issued.

The appeal was won by the motorist as the ajudicator stated that the ticket should be easily attached the vehicle and not flimsy or words to that effect.

Another thing to bear in mind is that the councils almost always reject the first informal appeal keep trying hopefully they will see common sense.

I will try and find it and post a link

7 actions in progress

I received a parking ticket today from wandsworth council. It contains the wording "date of notice:" on both the main body and the tear off part, but there is no reference to "date of issue".

Are these one and the same thing, or is "date of issue" a requirement on a ticket?

Alex.

Thanks Pat

Is there somewhere that will point out to me how "date of issue" should be used on the ticket, and what the consequences of it not being there?

I will try and post a picture of the ticket when I figure out how to do it! hopefully at a minimum to perhaps help out other victims of Wandsworth's hugely zealous parking "operatives".

Alex.

Guest xipetotec46

should I just pay bloody fine?

NO!!! if you what you say is true fight it.

Does the PCN show the tax disc number and all other relevant details as he may not have had time to note them down, before you drove off

Barry

This is where I believe the system is all wrong, they KNOW that a lot of the tickets that are issued are illegal and they KNOW that most people are likely to pay up rather than the hassle of fighting and possibly the risk of having to pay the full instead of the discounted rate.

They use the "50% discount if paid within 14 days" rule to coerce people into paying rather than appeal, inevitably lose, and have to pay the full rate and it's wrong. Let's be honest, on top of the millions that pay up without a fight rather than risking and paying double, there are probably millions more that have lost the appeal, know nothing about NPAS and have paid up in full.

That's not even including the millions of tickets that have been issued that are illegaly worded and so invalid, but councils have taken the money for and refuse to refund, and STILL pursue those (like myself) who have not and will not pay.

Apart from this scandalous con which is getting people to pay up, the most disgraceful aspect of it all is that tickets are often being issued illegally in the first palce, such as where there is a break in double yellow lines. Wardens MUST KNOW the law regarding double yellow lines and the legalities surrounding the validity of them, if they don't they're incompetent and should be sacked, if they do they are knowingly booking you illegally and should be hauled up before the courts to explain why they are deliberatly ignoring the law regarding d/y lines and defrauding you of your money on behalf of the council/police.

In probably millions of cases we are being fined without a trial for something (in council controlled areas) which isn't even an offence - how can that be even legal? - but what is disgusting is that we are being fined for misdemeanours that in many cases, because for example there was an obvious break in a line, we should not be getting in the first place!

The whole thing is totally out of proportion too. You would get fined less for putting a brick through someone's window (it's true, the yob who threw a brick through my window got fined £25).

£50 for parking on a double yellow line in an otherwise unused lay-by (former bus stop), no need for any parking restrictions - but there is a council "pay" car park 50 - yards away). £50 for overstaying a parking meter by 5 minutes. Why? Where's the victim? What about al the profit that is made from people who have paid for an hour but left after 40 minutes? the next guy comes along and pays for an hour, so for the next 20 minutes they have been paid double! That's Ok then is it?

Sorry, rant over but the whole money-making [problem], and let's face it that's all it is, makes my blood boil.

FIGHT!

I only mouth my opinion, please look elsewhere for sensible advice! :)

if only more people took the fight attitude!

and where's the law, when a penalty charge cannot by law make a profit??

it appears this side of only applies to a contract, dont the public have a contract with their local and county councils?

june... requested and paid for 6 years of statements.

july.... letter sent requesting charges be refunded to account

early august... letter received stating "account could be closed, charges are fair according to abbey"

august 21st.. finally received 6 years statements

august 22nd... requested the wife's 6 years past statements.

august 23rd... letter before action sent giving 14 days to refund summary of charges

Where's the law??? This is what makes me so bloody angry, the system is about as lawless as you can get.

As well as the issues mentioned above, you can go off at tangents all over the place with this subject.

How can the law justify towing away a car which might be worth £50,000 for non-payment of a parking fine, especially when it's not even a criminal offence and there has been no court hearing to determine your guilt?

How can the law justify double yellow lines being painted in an otherwise disused lay-by or a cul-de-sac with no houses in it?

In particular relation to council controoled parking, how can you be fined without a trial for, er, well doing no harm to anybody or anything really by overstaying a parking meter by 5 minutes? So you were in the queue in the bank for 20 minutes. Where's the crime? Where's the victim? So what is the penalty charge actually for then? Since it is not an offence, It can't be a punishment because you haven't committed a crime - so it's not actually a fine. So how is it enforceable then? :confused:

I only mouth my opinion, please look elsewhere for sensible advice! :)

My message out there to anyone who gets a ticket is to fight it.... After posting on here over New Years weekend, I wrote a letter to Merton Council appealing my ticket (which I got for not displaying a pay and display ticket properly.... which given it didn't have anything with it to stck it to the windscreen, is it surprising it wasn't displayed properly?)

Anyway, I got a letter back from the Council today, which stated that after reviewing my letter they have decided not to pursue my case and my ticket has been cancelled!!!

Which is one up to me, and one down to Merton Council..... and a poke in the eye for all the friends and family who told me to just pay up...... and now have to eat humble pie and realise that my way, to contest things and put up a fight, is the right way..

And now, people from my office and my family are coming out of the woodwork with parking tickets that they want to see if they can contest!!

So thanks to everyone on here... all the information and advice helped me out... and saved me from paying an extortionate £80 for 20 minutes in a car park!

Nickie:)

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5010 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks