Housing application help

Yorky55
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1352 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Not sure if anyone can help but any advice please

Elderly friends[60s] have a caravan on site, not residential, 11 months of year, on off weekends and 1 month. But no main home.  they want to apply for housing  as one is not to well now, but how can they apply if no main home. Is it going to be a problem

Are they claiming any disability benefits such as PIP or plan to claim this ?

Below state pension age ?

Much depends on their exact situation. Unfortunately there are many thousands of people 50+ who are living in Caravans on sites, that cannot currently find a permanent home. 

They should contact the nearest local Council Housing department and ask what help is available. 

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

not claiming benefits, work part time and one retires next year. they have started a application for social housing

but sticking point is, no main home? and the caravan on site isnt classed as a home. so problems with application, i think they are worried about it, as no rent or other such evidence to send, if this makes sense.

Most likely classified as homeless. So approach it in that way and hopefully there should be a way to take this forward. 

Do they currently have costs related to Caravan e.g rent, site fees ?

They can claim Universal Credit (UC), which can include the Caravan site fees. They should use an online Benefits calculator such a Entitledto or Turn2us. For the Benefits calculator, They should enter any Caravan costs as private housing, just to see what help may be available.  If they do start a UC claim, if they later find a permanent home, the UC claim can be updated to include the new Housing.  UC is a working age benefit so one of a couple must be below state pension age. Once both over state pension age, UC claim closes and they claim any Housing through Council.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

problem,

holliday park says cant use the 11 month stay at caravan, if no main residence

Ive no idea how they can proceed with application, if no main residence .

they have one more year in life of caravan and they cant afford to buy a new one on site, council wont be happy if no main residence?

would it be better to wait till final year if and when notice to leave park site? and re apply then?

they have 21 days left to proceed with application as they want evidence sent on different things.

no benefits available, due to them working

surely there must be loads of people who are somewhat living this way and dont have main homes due to costs etc.

it may not be ideal but many people must use them as a holiday/home of sorts, 

What some holiday caravan sites do, is that they just require a postal address for a friend relative to be provided. As the Caravan site is not for residential use, so does not have a postal address. They provide the site for 11 months as a holiday site, but then sometimes provide the additional 1 month under a seperate agreement.

All depends on the local Councils licencing arrangements and enforcement. If the local council enforce it as a non residential site, then your friends are in a difficult position.  Hence why I suggest being treated as homeless might be a way to be treated differently.

ok thanks.

I believe site agreement and rules etc. say not used for living? as i assume its only a holiday licence maybe.

It is a very large Holliday site, hundreds of caravans, lodges, for private buyers, also for enters and holiday makers. Yes a postal residential address is used all their mail and gp surgery etc is registered under this.

site closed for people who move off 1 month.

they are very worried indeed about the application form, as it asks for rental agreements arrears etc , as it isnt a main property and no rental agreement etc  could be sticky.

Choice is,

in my view,

if they complete the application, then may open a Pandora's box, as they may get into trouble, park gets into trouble, or either way told to leave, which they would have no home to go to.  or just not finish app, it will be closed and wait till next year or notice comes due to age of caravan. not sure how or what advice to do 

hy unclebulgaria67 

any thoughts on my last comment or overall advice to applicate or not

I doubt that Housing would be that bothered.  They probably already pay Housing for lots of other people living on the site. 

There is a housing crisis, so people end up living in all sorts of places.  There are people living in tents on camp sites all year round.  And many people are working and officially registered as homeless, as they don't have any permanent place to stay.

hy thanks, i managed to speak to them yesterday.

I think they put on the app form on internet, sent. current address.

They put the \Postal box address, which isn't an address,

im busy at work this week so dont know how much time ill get to help them.

but how do they send proof of rent/mortgage etc on a property that actually doesn't exist.

Not sure if they can get the postal address removed as a living address now.