DVLA and unclaimed DD

Elouisa
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1503 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have noticed that my DD to pay road tax to DVLA has not been claimed since February 2020. The DD is still active on my bank account but my car is now showing as untaxed on DVLA  website. Due to coronavirus I have been unable to contact DVLA by phone, email or webchat. Should I set up a new DD? Thanks in advance. 

I think you should probably leave it – but I think you ought to get it in writing to DVLA very quickly that they have not claimed the money and you don't understand why not but it is still there for them to claim.

I think it's important to develop a paper trail. I don't quite understand why you can't contact them on email.

If a Direct Debit payment fails

The Direct Debit account holder will get an email from DVLA if a payment fails because there is not enough money in the account.

DVLA will try to take the payment again within 4 working days. If that also fails, you’ll get an email telling you that:

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

When I emailed I got a system generated acknowledgement from DVLA saying they are unable to respond to email due to high demand. So I  will write a letter to them.

Are you definitely the registered keeper and do you have the V5C showing that you are the RK?

It can happen that you can set up a DD without being the RK, but if the DVLA do not have a RK recorded against the car when it comes time to renew, then the DD will not renew.

If the vehicle keeper does not have a V5C

Your Direct Debit will not automatically renew if there’s no vehicle keeper in DVLA’s records.

You can tell DVLA who the vehicle keeper is online.

If you do not get an email or letter when your vehicle tax runs out, you should contact DVLA

https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-tax-direct-debit/renewing

Could this have happened in your case?  It usually happens when you bought a car a year ago and set up a DD to tax it before you actually get the new V5C through.  You then either "forget" to get a new V5C, or you do try to get one, but it never comes through because your application has got lost, and you never chased it up.

It crops up quite often.  People set up the initial DD ok and then expect it to renew automatically.  It won't if the DVLA don't have a RK.

I'm not sure how you put it right at the moment.  Tell them the RK online via the link or (try) to contact them because you haven't had a reminder?