Terribly sad news about BrightHouse

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1498 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

BrightHouse - the biggest rent-to-own operator in the UK - has collapsed, with administrators now attempting to salvage parts of the business.

Customers should continue to make the monthly payments required to keep their household goods, with administrators now acting as the collecting agent.

The company had been struggling after an influx of compensation claims for selling to people who could not repay.

Its shops were then shut owing to coronavirus restrictions on retailers.

Julie Palmer, from corporate recovery business Begbies Traynor, said: "Coronavirus was the final nail in the coffin for BrightHouse."

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-52090976

Oh dear, how sad – never mind.

I think people should start getting assurances as to how insurance on their items will be honoured if they go wrong.

Also I don't think that payments to bright house should be treated as priority debts.

I expect that the owners are bright house haven't done too badly out of it

• BankFodder changed the title to Terribly sad news about BrightHouse

They have been going a while - Im sure that the Directors were well paid... 

They arent treated as Priority Debts. However standard rules apply to late payments / CRA Markers etc

If you still have goods with them and cant pay - There isnt realistically much they can do.

We could do with some help from you.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

**Fko-Filee**

Receptaculum Ignis

opps millions of people might just forget to pay them as they quite rightly assume they've paid the true market value for the items they have already.

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Hardly think the administrators are going to send bailiffs to repo all the TV's fridges sofa's etc that will have had their real value paid off already if payments are not forthcoming .  Cost more than writing them off.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

you can pretty much assume that most customers already have a shot credit file as they were brighthouses customer targets from day one .

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Most of it will end up with the likes of CCJ today if you don't pay Lowlifes, and other bottom feeders.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

I was going to go in the store this week to try and sort something out about lowering our payments as my husband  lost his job just over a week ago and we are waiting to hear about universal credit. At this moment in time, until something is sorted we actually only have £113 a week income for a family of 3.

What will happen if we just make token payments?
Is there somewhere we can write to and explain the situation, I don't want anyone turning up at the door.

4 minutes ago, jacko251 said:

What will happen if we just make token payments?

same as if you make no payments at all I expect...:hand:

and they

and so what if they do....

they never had any legal powers even when they were still trading...they are not bailiffs!!:pound:

you need to be reading a few brighthouse threads here jacko..use our search top right

and they

I don't know, I'm not clued up all on the legalities of things like this.

I was worried that the administrators had more powers or could demand the goods back.

Thank you I will have a read of the threads.