style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1182 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

When a creditor approaches a HCEO to enforce a judgement he is charged a fee.

The HCEO will issue a VAT invoice to the creditor. The HCEO are liable for VAT because they meet the HMRC criteria, A for profit business, with a turnover of over £85,000 pa.

If the creditor is VAT registered, he is liable for that fee, as he can recover it in the usual way, by offset against VAT received. If he is not VAT registered, then that fee is recoverable from the debtor.

Not to be confused with fees recoverable by the HCEO appointed agent.

The HMRC will demand VAT on the contracting bailiff’s profit(fees), being a self-contained business, as above.

The contracting Bailiff has no other way of recovering tax paid to the HMRC, other than by billing the debtor.

In other forms of enforcement there are statutory provisions to repay the bailiffs VAT.

It is the same in most transactions.  The end purchaser is not issued with a VAT invoice and therefore cannot reclaim the tax, we must bear that cost.

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES TO COLD CALLERS PROMISING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES FOR COSTLY TELEPHONE CONSULTATIONS WITH SO CALLED "EXPERTS" THEY INVARIABLY ARE NOTHING OF THE SORT

BEWARE OF QUICK FIX DEBT SOLUTIONS, IF IT LOOKS LIKE IT IS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT INVARIABLY IS

• 2 months later...

Hi

i have just had a heated conversation with a HCEO company.

I asked them for a VAT receipt for the Compliance element of the debt (£15).

They said, we dont have to provide one as it would be offering you a discount.

I did lose the plot and ask to speak to the one who had the brain cell for the day which didnt help

but Article 13 of the  VAT Regulations 1995 (SI 1995/2518)

a VAT registered business is required to supply a proper VAT invoice when requested to do so by a VAT registered customer.

So am I entitle to ask for the receipt?

Thanks

please reply to my thread here:

Whatever I post is my opinion and should be taken as such, an opinion. While it is what I believe and is offered in good faith, it should not be taken as a statement of truth

If you are the debtor, no you are not entitled to a vat invoice.

V.A.T receipts are only supplied to the creditors who instruct the bailiff, as it is only he who pay it, on instruction.

You cannot reclaim VAT as the end user.

Certain people seem unable to understand this simple matter, but, as it stands, EA who are contracted self, employed and not employed directly by the HCEO can charge VAT, in the normal way.

Edited by Dodgeball

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES FOR COSTLY TELEPHONE CONSULTATIONS WITH SO CALLED "EXPERTS" THEY INVARIABLY ARE NOTHING OF THE SORT

BEWARE OF QUICK FIX DEBT SOLUTIONS, IF IT LOOKS LIKE IT IS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT INVARIABLY IS

• 11 months later...

Thanks Andy. 

I have replaced post one  with Andy's help. Hopefully it is more Intelligible.

As for challenging the status quo regarding VAT on fees.

As it stands the position is as stated. One has to remember that the collection of fees is a matter for the HCEO and the possession regarding VAT to the revenue.

To my mind it is pointless pursuing an action against a bailiff for a procedure which is agreed by the high court and the HMRS.

You can complain sure, but any action,  say under CPR84.16(detailed assessment, so called) would be spurious, to say the least. Costs of such an absurd application could be extortionate.