PCN received - unclear "no stopping" times - ** CANCELLED BY COUNCIL **

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1758 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

1 hour ago, Hungrydoug said:

It meets the guidance in the traffic signs manual Chapter 7:

"12.2.3. If the time period covers only “am” or “pm”, but not both, then “am” or “pm”, as appropriate, should be shown only against the end time."

Hi Hungrydoug, thanks for quoting this and bringing it to my attention. The way I see this is as follows:

The prohibited parking times are from 10 am to 5 am. This time period exceeds 12 hours, and therefore covers both am and pm. That is, if you start counting from 10 am and stop counting at 5 am, at some point you will pass through "pm". Rule 12.2.2, as stated, only applies if the time period covers only "am" or "pm" -- not both -- and therefore this rule does not apply.

For instance, if the prohibited times were 5 am to 10 am -- that entire period covers "am" and only "am", and in that case this rule applies. What do you think?

Edited by Zettai Baka
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Hungrydoug said:

It meets the guidance in the traffic signs manual Chapter 7:

"12.2.3. If the time period covers only “am” or “pm”, but not both, then “am” or “pm”, as appropriate, should be shown only against the end time."

Which could be read one of two ways, but there would be enough wiggle room to say it was conforming.

That clause describes what should be done if the sign only covers am or pm.

This sign doesn't cover only one of them - so the clause is not relevant.

• Like 1

well, even the notes are open to interpretation as 10am round the clock through to 5 am covers all of the pm so is BOTH am and pm so not an ONLY, even if the start and finish times are both am. the law will assume the words in ther most common or simplest meaning if no specific is indicated

Now we would all agree that the second bit makes sense, 5-10am but I am going to throw another spanner in the works and ask what yellow lines were there on the road as no stopping is diferent o no parking and DYL's will do for you anyway.

If yu go to appeal you will ned to photograph the road in front of the signa and along the road if a bay is marked out in an area of DYL or restricted parking zone

• Like 1

Jamberson, I completely agree, I would sign the restriction as either 10am - 5am or 10am - midnight, midnight - 5am. Unfortunately the quality of signing nowadays is only getting worse. However I wonder if the council would use the wiggle room of the quoted TSM clause as justification?

• Like 1

Well, whaddya know! Stood my ground and saved some money, thanks to all of you! Please see attached image :) 

Thanks to everyone who offered their advice! I will donate the £35 that I saved to this forum instead, via the Donate button. Hopefully it pays for hosting this website, or something.

I had to chuckle at the last paragraph that says "Please note, any future contravention may be enforced." Ha. Ha.

image.png.48aedde246326ba38fddd4fcbfa4552f.png

Edited by Zettai Baka
verbosity

• honeybee13 changed the title to PCN received - unclear "no stopping" times - ** CANCELLED BY COUNCIL **

:yo: Yes many thanks...an extremely generous donation

Regards

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

55 minutes ago, king12345 said:

CEO error...

Talking rubbish here.

What error?

Yeah, I thought that part was dodgy as well. If you remember, their initial response to my appeal stated pretty strongly that they were in the right, and I was in the wrong. Then I replied to them with a polite but firmly worded email, which I have attached, in case anyone's interested.

Reply to Oldham Council PCN appeal denial.pdf