Questions about UC sanctions, age and single people

Foebane72
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1841 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I am inquiring about how older, single people are treated on UC and how often they are likely to be sanctioned compared to other age groups.

I am 47 in September and have always been Single, and if I was to be put onto Universal Credit soon (as I think I may be) then I am wondering how often people in my group would be at risk of sanction. I have seen charts where, the older the claimant is, the chances of sanction are less likely, but I have not been able to find out information about single people. I have seen a pie chart of that kind mentioning single parents or couples and even disabled people, but no mention of single people at all. Are people in my group hit hardest or not?

I am currently on ESA as I have a physical "limitation" and have mental health issues (anxiety and paranoia) but I heard that next year, everyone on legacy benefits will be moved over onto UC. Is that still the plan?

UC is currently undergoing a rollout phase but may be delayed in some areas as they still havent rolled out the chinks in the process etc

My understanding is that whether you will be penalised is based upon your circumstances. I would hazard a guess you would be okay - Do you work at the moment and have ESA topup etc? 

(Not too familiar with ESA but do know that some people do both)

We could do with some help from you.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

**Fko-Filee**

Receptaculum Ignis

Universal Credit is an online claim, which you log into. After you have registered the claim online, you will need to attend the Job Centre to verify information and to discuss the claim. If you cannot leave your house due to health condition, then a home visit appointment can be arranged. You would request this and if necessary supply Doctor or support worker letter to confirm home visit necessary.

Mandatory appointments at Job Centres are when you have a claimant commitment requiring Job Centre appointments. If you are in the ESA support group and this is continued under UC (called limited capability for work & work related actvity), then you won't have mandatory appointments at the Job Centre. 

If you have to attend a mandatory appointment at the Job Centre, you will in most cases have discussed date/time of new appointment at the Job Centre or during a phone call.  The date/time of appointment is added to your online claim and you may also receive a text message to mobile or email to confirm appointment details.

So you will have had several confirmations of when any appointment is to take place.  If for any reason, you are unable to attend the appointment e.g. Sickness, Doctors appointment, then you can send a journal note through online claim explaining or phone Universal Credit and the appointment will be re-arranged.

If you missed any mandatory appointment and did not provide any reasons for this, then yes this could lead to a sanction being applied.

Then there are sanctions for not taking up work, leaving a job without any providing any justifiable reasons, not meeting your claimant commitment in looking for work opportunities. 

The managed migration process of moving people from ESA to UC, is not currently legislated for and it may not happen for many months or years. At the moment there is a 10,000 pilot trial of moving people to UC, but I am not sure who is involved. Not sure if ESA claimants are part of this. 

I would not worry too much at the moment. Unless you have a change of circumstances that requires a move to UC, you will have to wait until a letter from DWP arrives in the post, explaining the process.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

2 hours ago, fkofilee said:

UC is currently undergoing a rollout phase but may be delayed in some areas as they still havent rolled out the chinks in the process etc

My understanding is that whether you will be penalised is based upon your circumstances. I would hazard a guess you would be okay - Do you work at the moment and have ESA topup etc? 

(Not too familiar with ESA but do know that some people do both)

UC is fully rolled out across the country. All areas are now UC for all new claims to income related benefits.

The only thing currently be phased in is mandatory migration where they are doing a pilot.

3 hours ago, fkofilee said:

I don't do paid work at the moment, only voluntary work (3 afternoons per week).

You would only get a sanction if you fail to do anything you agree to do on your commitments.

Depending what labour marrket regime you are in will depend on what would be expected of you.