3 month warranty

morgan8080
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1863 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

i bought a used car from a garage i found through ebay ( the car was advertised on there ) i px my car in which was an ex police car .

They said they wanted my car plus £4000 i agreed and we were set.

Tthe day i was coming he said he didn't want my car as it would be hard to sell being an ex police car.

he then said i would need to pay £5500 - i thought ok ill have to do that. 

I had 4 new tyres on my car and it was valeted first.

he had asked if there was anything wrong with my car

i said no, it had a paint chip on boot but nothing mechanically wrong.

I said when i pulled up to swap,

do you want to have a drive in mine,

he said no and didn't even look inside ,

i spent £50 getting it cleaned

was a bit surprised

went ahead with the sale .

The car i bought ( a range rover ) came with 3 month engine warranty at their garage.

i signed and went home with my new car.

next day it starts creaking

we had new arms and bushes on it and a new tyre.

It was then we noticed an oil leak in the engine which the garage we went to could be a seal or pump.

I suddenly thought oh right this may be covered under my warranty for the engine

( i have had the car less than two weeks )

I text the man i bought it off he said.

Yes we can fix it but we found problems with your car such as the holes where the police radio etc went ,

they are tiny holes in all ex police cars and

said the brakes needed doing

if i wanted my car fixing i would need to give him money to cover "his losses" on my old car.

I don't know what my rights are or if i should even pursue that they fix the car

- its a 2011 range rover vogue 

I would hazard a guess that even if you went along with it, you wouldn't get your new vehicle repaired correctly – or at all.

Under the consumer rights act, you are entitled to reject the vehicle if a defect appears within the first 30 days. However we are finding that there are difficulties in enforcing this – especially when it comes to second-hand car dealers – and I can imagine eBay traders are even more difficult.

I think that the holes et cetera which have been discovered on your old car I neither here nor there. Of course it's just an excuse to try and set something else off against the problems with the car that you have bought. You are a private seller – and he is a dealer and he should be on enquiry about this kind of thing. Plus, as you say, it is a police car and radio holes et cetera come with the territory.

I don't think he has any rights in respect of you.

I think that you have excellent rights in respect of him – but I shudder to think that the problems you are going to have enforcing them. Another problem is that if you try to get it fixed by him, you will lose the car for a while. You will have no guarantee as to the quality of the work and from the sounds of it, he sell shabby cars and will carry out shabby work.

I'm not saying that anyone who spends £4000 on a range Rover should expect this kind of tat – but I am saying that one should be very careful of dealers who are selling off range Rovers for £4000. You can imagine that the dealer probably only paid £3000 for it or even less.

Hi the car was actually £12000! i had to put £5500 cash towards it and my bmw 530. 

I would just like to text him back and say legally you should be repairing my car under its warranty so i can show i know my rights. I think he thinks he's dealing with an idiot.

Am i entitled to say that i would accept cash for the repairs to avoid taking further?

i don't want to send the car back though its good to know the law on this, id just like to know my rights to get this oil leak covered. its a £13000 car so not some cheap crap that i expect issues on.

The warranty is probably worthless.

How old is the Landy,

which model is it ?

Mileage ?

What’s the registration?

Did you get the car inspected prior to purchase ?

Land Rover general leak oil for Britain,

especially as they get older,

however if it was leaking significantly it should have been pointed out to you.

Most Landy owners understand their characteristics, wear n tear should be expected, you haven’t purchased a new car. 

The retailers moans about your car are irrelevant, he is the professional and you are the layman.

Well there you are – lawyers on your side. If you have a warranty then you would have to look at the terms of the warranty to see if the kind of defect you are experiencing is covered – but even if it's not, you still have your rights under the consumer rights act. As I've already pointed out though, you may have difficulty enforcing it.

I'm not sure what else to say. I'm afraid that the advice which is being handed out by user buyer-beware is generally speaking poor advice and we have had issues with this person before. He is well-intentioned but unfortunately not often right about what he says.