Cabot/shoos claimform - yorkshire bank OD - stayed 4yrs - now SJ threat

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1798 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

There is no requirement to disclose anything pre defence...CPR requests are just that civil not mandatory.Standard disclosure will follow allocation so they will have to disclose at that stage.

Its their prerogative to proceed...it may be a little mind game in knee jerking you into panic mode...but hold your nerve.You will have further opportunity at Witness Statement stage to question the validity of their claim and refer to none disclosure...which the DJ should then follow up and order them to disclose.

If they then fail..... sanctions will be imposed which may result in their claim being struck out.

Regards

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 6 months later...

Hi,

I heard nothing from Shoosmiths for 6 months about the claim,

then on 29th December a letter and bank statements arrived,

along with a bit of paper claiming that I had in fact made payments within the last 6 years,

which I have no recollection of.

I have attached both documents.

Can anyone help in how I can proceed with this?

Thanks

Research that payment then with the debt Management company they refer to......ask for a statement of your payments.

Andy

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

• 3 years later...

Hi

This has returned after nearly 4 years.

Why are they still pursuing this after the initial court claim ended when the didn't respond after I filed my defence.

The document "shoo" is the what they sent asking for the outstanding balance of £2488.72.

The last paragraph is interesting, they have finally, after 4 years received a response from Yorkshire.

Nothing has changed, they have offered no further information.

The document "Cabot" is interesting.

I have been receiving these regularly,

but this amount includes the fee for the last court claim they issued,

which the letter from Shoosmiths doesn't but is dated after.

The document "payments" show supposed payments I made, but can't offer any further information.

Can they claim through the courts for the same thing twice?

Should I just ignore them?

The debt came about around the time of the bank charges reclaims.

Yorkshire were charging me around £100 a month in charges,

so would up my overdraft to cover them,

then the same would happen the next month and so on.

So irresponsible lending, which should be a suitable defence in itself.

However I still deny making those payments they claim I have.

Any advice would be great.

So they can claim the same debt twice in court?

PR100901_3342_001.pdf

Threads merged.

See if they do make application to lift the stay and request SJ....fee £255 and they will require a good explanation as to why its taken over 4 years.

They haven't claimed it twice....just the once which was stayed for over 4 years and now they wish to proceed.

Andy

Not as such but the longer its stayed the better the explanation required to justify application to lift the stay.

• 10 months later...

Thank you.

I thought these had gone away, I am still trying to digest this and understand what it means. I would appreciate any help on how to proceed. 

I have only got until 16th May to consent to this.I have attached the N244 application notice from Shoosmiths. 

I think I have taken out all identifiable information.

To be honest I haven't a clue how to approach this.I really don't need a CCJ now,I have worked so hard in the last 6 years,my defaults are now off my credit report and I now have a healthy credit score this is the last thing I need after so long since this account was defaulted.

PR100911_4893_001.pdf

Hi robin

Didnt notice your upload.So you are required to submit your own witness statement in response and objection to their application.This must be submitted and served not less than 7 days hearing date.There are plenty of examples of opposing this type of application and I will try to find you some links shortly.

Regards

Andy

Thank you, so I do need to sign and return the form, and include my statement.

There is  also a mentions of defendant 1 and defendant 2.  I have just submitted the defences and any forms, does this need to be done for both or can I just do it all.

Return and sign what form ?

The claim was issued to 2 defendants.....was there two named defendants on the N1 ?

You submitted a statute barred defence to the claim is that correct ?

Was there two defences submitted ?

The N224 form - do I not need to sign and return that?  The covering letter ends with "At this stage, we ask that you consider and confirm if you are willing to consent to our client's application, by no later than 4pm on 16 May 2019."

It was a joint account so both names were on the N1, I submitted 1 defence at the time.

I submitted a statue barred defence, they said a few small payments had been made and sent a list of supposed payments made, but no evidence (attached)

This was an account I had and they would increase my overdraft every month, to cover bank/overdraft charges.  So it was irresponsible lending, as well as them treating me unfairly, as I asked for charges to stop and they refused.

Payment History.pdf

No you dont sign and return the N244 and obviously your not offering consent to their application...nor are you required to.

So you are the 1st Defendant that submitted a SB defence and the second defendant your partner /wife ? did not submit a defence which subsequently they are now requesting default judgment on. 

Payments were made through a DMA Debt Managers NR up until the 17th April 2009...do you admit making the payments ?

So the N244 is just for information?

It was a joint account with my wife, same account number, I just submitted one defence for the account.

I denied the payments, as I have no recollection of doing so, and there is no pattern to the payments they have said I made, and they couldn't provide any further proof, receipts, or confirmation of payments made.

For your information to let you know that they have made application......so now you wait for a hearing date ..the court will advise.As already stated you must now prepare a statement in response to theirs as to why you object and deny the contents and why the the court must dismiss their application and claim in its entirety.

We can help you with drafting this response once you let us know the hearing date ..but please dont leave it until the day before as the drafting of the response can take many hours.

Andy

so now you wait for a hearing date ..the court will advise

from andyorch's post above your question...

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Well it would be useful for you to look at other similar threads concerning applications to strike out/summary judgment......then you can see the process and examples of statements made in the past.

Dealing with the statute barred arguments should be straight forward but the 2nd defendant not submitting a defence could be problematic..but there are ways around this.

Top right search under your username log in...type summary judgment/application strike out

Just one clarification...in their statement they refer to court claims...implying that they sent both of you separate claims....I am right in thinking this was one claim form one claim number with defendants 1 and 2  ?

Yeah both names were on the claim form that I defended, I’ve just checked the form and my wife’s address was down as our previous address and mine our current.  So they might have sent something to that old address, but we hadn’t lived there for 6 years when the claim form was sent

Okay interesting......so just so i have this correct .......one claim form sent to your current address......defendants 1&2 named but with two addresses...current address for you defendant 1 and previous address for your  wife defendant 2 ?