Recording (Utility Company) Calls - UPDATE

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2163 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi All,

In 2014 - there was a clarification from the Information Commissioners Office - on whether the domestic customers were allowed to record calls with utility companies. The article states that the ICO - said this was permissible:

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/saving/article-2683569/How-watertight-records-calls-online-chats-case-s-dispute-later.html

Now that we are in 2018 - and with all the new legislation that is being passed:

Can we get a crystal clear update about what we are allowed / not allowed to do?

This should cover - if/how/when we can use our copy in the pursuit of settling a dispute.

I think exploring this topic will help many of my fellow community members - as it is one of the very few ways consumers can demonstrate their honesty.

My sincere thanks to any, willing to help map this out.

I don't think there is any change. Read our customer services guide

You can record all you calls

Theres never been a law otherwise

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

If you need to use it in a dispute with a regulator or adjudicator of some sort - what are the rules governing the use of such recordings.

If there was need for the Journalist to reach out to the ICO for the purpose of the article I linked to above - there must've been a reason for doing so. Clearly there was the potential for confusion or a need for clarification.

I guess I'm trying to establish if there have been any novel changes to the rules/regs/law in the four years since - regarding recording & using?

If unsure - what would be the best vector to find out?

You send them an unredacted copyan

They become the data handler

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

If you need to use it in a dispute with a regulator or adjudicator of some sort - what are the rules governing the use of such recordings.

You simply inform the regulator/adjudicator you have a record of the phone call, and would they like a copy of it along with a transcript?

I guess I'm trying to establish if there have been any novel changes to the rules/regs/law in the four years since - regarding recording & using?

AFAIK none, nothing has changed, just that recording equipment has now become accessible to consumers so we're all on a level playing field.

If unsure - what would be the best vector to find out?

Depending on the question, the ICO? Recording calls is perfectly legal as it is for our own purpose, only if there were an issue/dispute then the call recording can be used,

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

You send them an unredacted copyan

They become the data handler

What do you mean?

Could I ask you to expand on this please and discuss it a bit - because I am not sure I fully understand it correctly.

if you wish you are quite within your legal right to send them a copy

what they do with it is their problem

they become the data controller under the DPA and ofcourse will have a data control officer/policy

and they