Getting Paid after Judgement

manxie
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2210 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I have recently been to the small claims court to claim £200 from an individual who owed for services I supplied.

The defendant failed to attend and after a hearing, I was given judgment with costs.

After 14 days no payment has been received so I went to instruct the county court bailiffs but was told this costs £150.

Now I thought this seems a lot especially if they are unsuccessful.

I decided to call on the defendant and suggest he pay me to avoid adding bailiffs cost to his bill.

His was not interested and said bailiffs or not he would not be paying.

What if any are my options.

Thanks in advance.

Unfortunately, County Court bailiffs are notoriously ineffective. If they succeed then you will get the money back – but it seems to be fairly easy to evade them. If the judgement had been more than £600 then you could have transferred it up to the High Court for enforcement by HCEO and that would have been far more meaningful.

I'm afraid that if you want to take any other kind of enforcement action it will probably cost you money. It is very frustrating. Does the defendant have a home which he owns?

He lives with his partner but whether they rent or own the property is not known.

His partner has a good job.

He has cars he drives and races but finding out if he owns them is something I do not know how to do.

He also once told me he has two rental properties he owns in Staffordshire.

I got the impression that he was accustomed to not paying suppliers.