Yet another Xercise4Less/Harland case...

DJM22
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2666 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi guys,

Following my recent situation, I've been reading your very informative forum, and thought I would ask for your help.

In November 2016, I attempted to cancel my membership at Xercise4Less Glasgow online . Having worked in a bank, the first thing I did was cancel my direct debit to stop any further funds coming out. Although I'd completed the form, I now, in hindsight, realise my system must have crashed before it went through completely - and I take full responsibilty for this! I had also moved address, so did not recieve any correspondence from either the gym or Harlands.

Fast forward to Wednesday 1st February: I recieve a text from Xercise4Less stating: 'Dear Member, Harlands have advised they will be sending your account to a third party debt collectors in 14 days. To settle with us please call 01132038602'. I rang straight away, explained the situation, and the Xercise4Less worker informed me that he would waive the fees and I had to make a 1 off payment of £64 to resolve the matter. We agreed that I would pay the amount this Friday - 10th - and that was that.

Fast forward again to February 6th - I recieve a panicked phonecall from my mum, telling me a debt collection letter (dated Feb 2nd) arrived for me. Bear in mind this went to me home address in Northern Ireland - I don't know how they got those details. This letter was from CRS, and detailed that 'Our fees of £102.50 have been added. Therefore your account balance now stands at £162.49'. I rang Xercise4Less straight away to question why I had recieved this letter, when I had agreed upon a settlement with the gym already. The employee assured me that the payment on Friday (tomorrow) would end the matter and to ignore any further correspondence from CRS.

Finally, today Thurs 9th, I recieved a text message from CRS saying they want to speak to me. Having read these forums, I have no intention whatsoever to respond to CRS/Harlands at all.

Fingers crossed the matter is settled tomorrow, but I still have a very uneasy feeling about the entire scenario. Any tips or pointers will be greatly appreciated!! :)

Hi DJM and welcome to CAG

1. Have you paid the £64 yet.

2. How exactly is this £64 made up.

3. When did you join the gym.

4. Was it a 12 month minimum m/ship agreement.

5. what date did you cancel the DD mandate.

6. On what day each month was the DD normally paid by your bank.

If you haven't already paid the £64, please wait until you've supplied answers to my Q's above.

:-)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

Hi Slick - thank you!

I haven't paid the £64 yet - and to be honest if it ends the situation, I don't begrudge paying it.

1. Have you paid the £64 yet.

- No.

2. How exactly is this £64 made up.

- That, I can't quite remember.

3. When did you join the gym.

- 29th Dec 2015.

4. Was it a 12 month minimum m/ship agreement.

- Yes.

5. what date did you cancel the DDicon mandate.

- 31st Oct 2016.

6. On what day each month was the DD normally paid by your bank.

- 29th of the month.

Thank you!

Hi DJM,

If you joined 29/12/15, your last DD should have been paid on 29/11/16 to complete the full 12 months payments.

You were free to give notice to cancel on or before 29/11/16 to end the agreement at the end of the 12 months, so it did not turn into a rolling monthly agreement.

I assume the DD was paid around 29/10/16 before the DD was cancelled but please confirm.

In which case, you owe no more than the November gym fee.

If you don't know how the £64 is made up, tell us how much you paid for the gym each month.

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

I paid 9.99 a month, and my last DD was paid out on the 29/10/16. as I said, I am happy to pay the 64 if it ends the situation - I'm just very wary of the possibility of CRS continuing to contact me!

Hi DJM,

In your case, I think the gym will ensure Harlands/CRS do NOT harass you if you pay X4Less the £64. I have no doubt Harlands/CRS WILL initially continue to make demands but may back off if X4Less tell them to.

However, I am absolutely sure you owe NO MORE than £9.99, being the last payment due on 29/11/16. Your cancellation of the DD was, in itself, adequate notice of your intent to cancel.

My advice is to contact X4Less and ask them how you owe any more than £9.99. Don't get into an argument with them - simply ask them to tell you exactly how they arrive at the figure of £64.

Report back to us before you pay them....................

.................. or, if you don't care about paying the gym far more than you owe, pay them the £64 and hope Harlands/CRS back off in time.

Trouble is, if you pay the gym more than you truly owe, this encourages them to treat others unfairly too.