DWP "Demand" for £3k

Gaz7483
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2679 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi guys,

My father in law has received a letter out of the blue from the DWP saying "our records show us that you owe £2,982" and they can get an attachment of earnings, send debt collectors blah blah blah.......

He is due to start claiming state pension in Feb 2018 so he completely panicked thinking this was a demand for a shortfall in NI contributions & he wouldn't get full state pension.

he called them up and set up a payment plan, without asking them what it was actually for..........

After speaking to me,

I pointed out this letter doesn't say what he owed it for

(it was literally like me writing a letter to you and saying you owe me 3 grand, no reason whatsoever),

he called them back and they said it was for Incapacity Benefit that was paid to him for a couple of months starting in October 2003, and they allege he was earning at the same time.

This raises a few issues.

Firstly, he knows that he definitely was not earning at this time, but he may have been receiving private pension payments.

He will have to look up old info to confirm this or not so we can't contest anything yet on this point.

However,

on a broader point,

do they actually have a leg to stand on asking for repayment 13 years after the event?

They've sent a letter with no explanation whatsoever, blindly asking for 3 grand.

Then when he phones up the DWP they say it's nothing to do with them, it comes from the benefit office....

.... It just all seems very suss.

Has anybody else had experience of this please?

However, on a broader point, do they actually have a leg to stand on asking for repayment 13 years after the event?

Crown debts do not become statute barred in the normal sense, and legislation is in place that enables the DWP to make an attachment of earnings or deductions from benefits paid in the future (including any state pension). Whilst they could involve a debt collection agency, they wouldn't have any power to do anything more than write scary letters, and certainly wouldn't be able to initiate any court action.

You are correct in querying exactly how this alleged debt came about, and if you can demonstrate that it is a result of official error, the DWP may well write it off. i.e. If your father had told them about any pension payments at the time of making a claim, and the DWP failed to take in to account this income, then that would be official error.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.

Remember that Data Protection subject access requests for all information from DWP can be made free of charge. You just need to send them a letter.

There have been a number of cases on CAG where people have made such requests for information, which has revealed that DWP has no evidence of the overpayment. It is simply a case of DWP trawling through old records trying to find money and then writing out to people often based on partial information.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Further to UncleB the DWP SAR can be done online, dont need to send a letter by post unless you prefer to.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Click Here To Make A Donation

I am not legally trained or qualified, any advice i offer is gleaned from experience and general knowledge, if you are still unsure after receiving advice please seek legal advice.

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group