BT Business Cancelation

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2687 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi All

I received a letter from bt saying that i could cancel or move my landline and broadband from bt early as they are putting the price up in March by 6%. the letter said that if i wanted to do this i was to call and notify them before i started the move, when i called them i was told by the person from bt that it only affected my landline and not my broadband and that if i moved my broad band i would receive an early termination fee of 18 months for the broadband. as this letter says that both my broadband and landline will be affected and can move for free can i hold them to the letter if i move or can bt charge me the termination fee. also the reason for me having 18 months left on my contract is that i moved my business in September and when i moved the landline i was told that it would start my contract from new as the number would change due to moving exchange.

It would be helpful if you would post a letter up here in PDF format please.

From what you say, yes. If they change the terms of any service beyond any terms of the contract which allows them to vary prices, for instance because of inflation, then you have a right either to accept the new terms or to treat the contract has ended.

However, you can be certain that if BT take a different view that they will then lurch into action against you, treat you as a debt avoid and get into collection mode. They may be pretty poor at providing their main service, but as debt collectors, they seem prepared to expend enormous amount of energy making people's lives difficult and even wrecking businesses.

You need to put everything in writing and keep a paper trail.

Also, if you are dealing with them on the telephone at all then you should be recording your calls. Read our customer services guide for information as to how to approach companies on the telephone.

I would suggest that if they indicate you that your termination of the broadband service is not acceptable, that you star in immediate complaint to the communications regulator/ombudsman service which you will have to do by making a formal complaint to BT and giving them eight weeks to deal with it or to give you their final solution. At least then you have a chance of protecting yourself and also your complaint should be well advanced by the time you actually have to make the decision to close down the broadband service as well.