County Court Claim - Notice of discontinuance - Counterclaim Question

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2701 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Dear All,

I have a scenario here I would like to get your views on.

Suppose in a county court X makes a claim against Y and in turn Y makes a counterclaim against X under Reference Z (I am assuming counter claims are under the same reference number)

X now wishes to discontinue the claim against Y

My question is simply, will the entire claim then discontinued under Reference Z including the counter claim

If Z wishes to pursue the counter claim, will he need to file a new claim in the county court?

X will be liable for Y costs - would there need to be a small claim made by Z to recover the costs?

Many thanks

No you can still proceed with the counter claim and object to the discontinuance.

Even with their discontinuance you can still proceed with your counter claim alone

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

No you can still proceed with the counter claim and object to the discontinuance.

Even with their discontinuance you can still proceed with your counter claim alone

Andy

Having a read could this only occur due to a dispute of costs ?

Having a read could this only occur due to a dispute of costs ?

if you have read some source, it would be helpful if you would let us know what it is and link us to it so that we can see it for ourselves and maybe correct what we have to say.

I think you are referring to CPR 38.5 ( 3 )

(3) However, this does not affect proceedings to deal with any question of costs.

Liability for costs CPR 38.6

(3) This rule does not apply to claims allocated to the small claims track.

Without further details of your counter claim and what you consider to be a viable counterclaim its impossible to answer your question.

andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread