UK plug

GordonBenefit
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2713 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Can anyone clarify this for me please?

A brand new electrical item purchased online from a company showing a UK address with .co.uk website tells me in an email sent invoice (sent the day after purchase and sending) that the item is supplied with a EU plug and one of those plastic white adapters. At no point before this was I aware the company or location was anything other than UK. The item is being dispatched from Netherlands.

If you go to their website http://www.bax.co.uk, they never once mention they are not a UK business. Even the postage is listed as Parcelforce, but in reality will be eventually delivered by them but is sent using a company called GLS, which is a Dutch courier.

So, am I correct that all items sold in the UK must have a UK plug fitted? The problem I have is that the item I bought is a mic pre-amp. To prevent humming you always use an earth, but in EU cables there is no earth!

Anyone know the ins and outs of this one?

Actually, many cables in EU do have an earth. They have three pin plugs although they look different to our own.

Do you know that this one is not wired with the EU three pin plug? If it is then you can simply cut the plug off and put a British one. If it isn't, then it seems to me that you are entitled to send it back although I suppose it would be a load of hassle.

I would suggest its double insulated and the lack of earth does not trouble you.

the fact that the power supply has no earth will be to your advantage.

no earth loop!

unless the negative on your other power supplies is linked to mains earth

which I very much doubt!

there is no issue with it having a 2 pin plug

then there is your earth loop problem!!

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

....you can simply cut the plug off and put a British one....

The item is new and is supplied with an external power supply (wall wart in the buisness). This has a moulded EU plug on the end of the built in power cable. IF I cut that plug off, the warranty goes of the window. So, I will not be doing that!

From what I have just been reading in regard to 2 pin plugs and the UK, it is illegal to sell an item TO the UK as well as in the UK unless it has a BS standard 3 pin plug fitted. Perhaps someone can confirm that for me?

is this a 2 ins power plug [the DC end] that goes into the pre amp device?

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

...it is illegal to sell an item TO the UK as well as in the UK unless it has a BS standard 3 pin plug fitted ?...

Have a look at the "Plugs and Sockets etc. (Safety) Regulations 1994" http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1994/1768/contents/made

or at https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/294047/07-615-product-standards-electrical-equipment-plugs-sockets-guidance-notes.pdf (look at the FAQ's in Annex E)

Is this item originally from China? I have had to cut off fake plugs, replace fake fuses and destroy adaptors.

With the adaptor, is there and internal covers over the live and neutral connections.

This site gives a good idea on what to look for.

http://www.bs1363.org.uk/

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

If you look at bax.co.uk, they don't appear to be a retailer at all. It is simply an online directory of products which are being offered by many different companies. I suspect this pre amp mic was sold by a different company that is not based in the UK.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

If you look at bax.co.uk, they don't appear to be a retailer at all. It is simply an online directory of products which are being offered by many different companies. I suspect this pre amp mic was sold by a different company that is not based in the UK.

I beg to differ. The fact that they sell anything to me in relation to a business makes them a retailer by definition. The facts that they list their address as the UK and use a .co.uk web address all suggest they are a UK based company. As a consumer I have no way of knowing if they are an Ebay or Amazon type link unless they either tell me, or tell me who I am actually buying from. The Paypal payment went to ''Payment to Bax-shop'.

ALL I am actually concerned about is whether it is supposed to be fitted with a standard UK 3 pin plug for the mains. That is all.

Is this item originally from China? I have had to cut off fake plugs, replace fake fuses and destroy adaptors.

With the adaptor, is there and internal covers over the live and neutral connections.

This site gives a good idea on what to look for.

http://www.bs1363.org.uk/

The item is originally from Behringer, which is a well known and respected manufacturer based in Germany. It may well be made in China, but to the German specifiactions. Behringer products that use a power supply pack always have a moulded on plug. So, to rectify this to my satisfaction I would have to cut off that plug and fit my own. That in itself is callsed as 'tampering, alteration, modfifying' and breaches the warranty. Hence I will not do so.

THANK YOU!

This answers my question: Taken from Annex E as above:

Q) Can I supply an electrical appliance fitted with a non-UK plug (such as a

European style plug) provided I supply a travel adaptor?

A) If the appliance is within the scope of regulation 11 then it must be supplied fitted with a standard plug or fitted with a conversion plug. The definitions explain the difference between a conversion plug and an adaptor. An adaptor is not a conversion plug.

Q) Can I supply an electrical appliance fitted with a non-UK plug (such as a

European style plug) provided I supply a conversion plug loose with the

appliance?

A) Regulation 12 requires the conversion plug to be fitted for all appliances specified in Regulation 11 unless excluded under Schedule 3.

So, if the item arrives today with the conversion plug fitted it is fine. If it arrives with a loose adapter for me to plug into or fit myself, it is not. By conversion plug I believe this is one we have all received at some point which looks like a standard 3 pin UK plug, but on closer inspection or if you open is actually a ''shell'' in which the EU plug fits, but acts just like a standard UK plug except there is no earth. I will let you all know later today.

I beg to differ. The fact that they sell anything to me in relation to a business makes them a retailer by definition. The facts that they list their address as the UK and use a .co.uk web address all suggest they are a UK based company. As a consumer I have no way of knowing if they are an Ebay or Amazon type link unless they either tell me, or tell me who I am actually buying from. The Paypal payment went to ''Payment to Bax-shop'.

ALL I am actually concerned about is whether it is supposed to be fitted with a standard UK 3 pin plug for the mains. That is all.

You can beg to differ, but if you look at their website, it just seems to be a directory.

Click on any item shown and a new browser page is opened linking to whichever retailer is selling the product.

The website is up for sale and appears to be owned by the company that designed the website.

Perhaps the Bax website is different to when you made your purchase.

Glad you found your answer and hope you don't have a problem.

Nb. Co.uk does not mean a UK based retailer. It is simply indicating a UK internet domain is being used and the company does not need to be based in the UK.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

I referred to the WRONG website in my original post, my error.

It is bax-shop.co.uk. My apologies

It is not a directory at all. It is an online shop with a physical warehouse of their own stock, started in 2005 by the Bax brothers. It is a retailer.

Edited by GordonBenefit

I referred to the WRONG website in my original post, my error.

It is bax-shop.co.uk. My apologies

It is not a directory at all. It is an online shop with a physical warehouse of their own stock, started in 2005 by the Bax brothers. It is a retailer.

That might answer it.

As the original website, has a note at the bottom saying products sold by retailers listed. I suspect they had a problem with their internet site developers, as the old website is being sold by whoever developed it.

sorry I appeared to have suffered the dreaded predictive text syndrome.

what I meant was if the negative of the DC supply is not connected to the earth of the mains it wont make any diff to your earth loop issue.

most are , and should be totally isolated from mains earth

and they

So, now the item has arrived. Brand new in sealed box from reputable retailer BAX. But, as expected the cable for the power supply unit is an EU cable (2 pin) and the supplied (not fitted) adapter is just one you plug into.

Unlike many behringer products, this one does have a removeable power chord (figure of 8 type) so I can simply use a UK cable.

BUT the point is that even if the retailer is not in the UK (even though the website does everything to convince you that they are), the law is clear on this now I have done my research and the item must be supplied with either a UK cable, or a FITTED adapter as described in my previous post. It was not, thus this is illegal.

My concern was twofold. One of safety and secondly of breaching the warranty by cutting off a plug. But as said, I can just use a standard UK cable instead and problem solved - albeit at my expense.

which still doesn't resolve the earth issue.....only 2 wires fig 8 cables don't require an earth..

as I said

using mains earth introduces humming via earth loops.

"To prevent humming you always use an earth, but in EU cables there is no earth!"

and they

:lol:

I know the problem well

worked in audio for more people and years I care to remember

worst was the incredible problems we had at a certain live festival on an isle in 1970

and they

OMG. I think I know you! Are you that bloke with the black curly teeth that walks with a lisp? Long curly hair all the way down you back, none on your head though?

I was getting confused in my old age. I was right about the legal bit. Bottom line is a great sound car (Behringer FCA610) and does what I need it to. Now all I have to do is learn C++ from scracth in a couple of weeks and I will be a millionaire by this time next year (If I move to Venezuala). :)

Edited by Andyorch
Restored