Student loan demand after dropping out of University

Goucho
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2704 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi there guys, my son decided that University was not for him and came home the second week of December 2016.

He has just received a demand (request) for an overpayment of Maintenance Loan of £337.12 which is due immediately. They do however offer to discuss the matter and work out a repayment plan. This has been made by "Student Loans Company" slc.co.*k

Unfortunately my son had already budgeted for what he needed for the rest of the term and had spent all of his remaining maintenance loan.

As far as i was aware both the tuition fees and maintenance loan were not repayable until his earnings reached a certain threshold? If this is not the case due to him leaving early will he also be billed for his tuition fees for the rest of the term? There is also an added debt of his off campus university accommodation charges for the rest of the term (or maybe for a longer period depending on what the terms are for accommodation. This was arranged by the University)

This is a bit of a mess so we need to deal with one thing at a time.

+ Maintenance Loan demand +

1. What can we do about this because my son has no income at all even though he has just applied for Universal Credits he will not get any income for quite a while because they do not count the first 2 weeks and then he will not be paid for a further 4 weeks after that.

2. Is there any way to get this debt sorted under the Student loan terms of only repaying when income reaches a certain threshold?

I will tell him to not ring them yet until we get advice.

Thank you in advance.

Why does he not just write to SLC explaining his circumstances and asking for a copy of the terms that require immediate repayment of maintenance overpayment, rather than when he is earning above a certain income threshold.

Suggest he does that and waits for a response.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Ye wanted to seek advice here first before he does that ;)

Not sure anyone will know about the terms of maintenance loans, where you finish a course early. I suspect that you should not place yourself in a situation of spending more than the amount allocated for days on the course. This is why they want it immediately, as they have paid an amount in excess of the days he was attending the course.

The point about writing a letter is that SLC will understand the situation and have to deal with a request for information. Better getting it from the horses mouth, rather than internet info, which might make people sit back and think they don't have to do anything. I find that people have gotten out of practice in writing letters to companies and don't bother unless they really have to.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread