OVO want to put my direct debit up based on a single meter reading

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2768 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I switched to OVO Energy around 3 months ago and gave them the reading at the time.

I kept forgetting to give a meter reading so they used their own estimates based on a 1 bedroom flat.

I recently got a letter to say they want to put my direct debit from £32 a month to £57 a month because I was £1.19 behind.

Remember that everything is based entirely on their own estimates, so how have they came to this conclusion?

Just to add, I gave them a reading recently which was much lower than their estimates.

How can they justify putting my DD from £32 to £57?

Anyone else had this happen before?

P.S, just to add, NPower did the same thing and put my DD from £36 to £72 because they took the highest month usage and applied it to the whole of the next year.

simply say no.

I never allow DD's

a always pay when I can by BACS transfer.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

I've just worked out my actual usage between the first date and my last meter reading taking into account kWh and the standing charge, and I'm using £33 a month. All over their website they are telling me they recommend £57.

I will email them my calculations.

Is this a fixed tariff ?

If they quoted you £33 a month based on your previous years meter readings, then tell them that if they should attempt to increase the DD, you will cancel it, and pay the agreed amount via SO.

I had the same issue last year with EON, told me one figure to get my custom, then told me two months in that £33 a month wouldn't cover the years usage and they wanted to up it to £57 a month, can you see how the figures are exactly the same?

I think this is a well worn con trick, they give you the lowest figure in order to get your custom, then claim that they need to up it to cover the usage.

When I pulled the DD from them, they told me that I would have to pay extra because of setting up a SO, told them to add it to the final bill, and I'd decide whether or not to pay it, never did, kicked them into touch as soon as the fixed term contract was up.

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

they are trying to get some of your money in ready for the winter months, although the direct debit figure should be an average of what you are expected to pay over the course of 12 months.

By suggesting £57 a month, they are suggesting that you will spend way more than that over the winter months.

I assume this will not be the case?

I think you answered your own question when you said how can they come to this figure when it's based on their estimations.

After you gave them the reading, did they confirm they would be using this reading to help with future bills etc?

Like yourself,

I live in a 1 bedroomed flat and I hardly spend £57 a month during the winter months, let alone any other time of the year.

In fact, I attempted to join First Utility for £34 a month a few years ago,

only for them to come back with "a more accurate" direct debit of £94 a month

- needless to say they never got a penny.

At the end of the day, they are all as guilty as each other of luring customers in with attractive prices.

Get back in touch with Ovo (in writing) expressing your concerns about the direct debit amount and see what they have to say for themselves. It may need to go to formal complaint level if they are so insistent on the £57 a month, but we can cross that bridge when it comes to it.

In the meantime, I would be inclined to get into a regular pattern of submitting meter readings - as in, first day of the month (or similar timescale) so there is no need for estimates and they will get a better idea of your usage. I would also consider holding off the direct debits for the time being - obviously pay what you owe, but pay your bill as it comes in until the matter is resolved.

Please let us know how you get on.

Good Sister.

• Haha 1

Any pearls of wisdom that I give on the CAG forums is based on previous experiences and knowledge I have gained from being on these forums.