Car insurance and claim issue

peace4all
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2790 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi All

I hope someone would be able to help me with this matter!

I was driving to work the other day and it was 6 in the morning and it was dark and raining and visibility was very low and I was driving on a country lane. I mis-judged one of the sharp turn and as I tried to steer my car into the bend, the rear wheel hit the kerb and my car got out of control and slipped and then I hit the garden wall (yes!! if you were thinking like me that who are the idiot people who hit someones wall....thats me!) Needless to say that the garden wall was knackered. The house owner was a nice guy and he called the police. The police came and took all the information from me and then told me dont worry these things happens and then gave me a lift to the nearest train station as well :)

I called my insurer the same day and told them everything how it happened and they said dont worry we will take care of any claim that will be raised by the third party. I received another call next day telling me that my car is write off.

I was thinking that everything is settled now, until I received a letter from my insurer today. It says:

We have examined your description of the accident, together with any other information supplied to date, and regret to advise you that we feel it is unlikely that we would be successful in fully defending the third party's claim against you. This conclusion is based on our experience of handling other motor vehicle claims and the approach of the Courts in deciding issues of liability in such circumstances.

It is therefore our intention, given that we have to keep commercial considerations in mind, to deal with the third party's claim now, on the most economic terms that we can.

I hope that someone would be able to shed some light on what this letter actually means and what options I have?

Thank you

Hi All

I hope someone would be able to help me with this matter!

I was driving to work the other day and it was 6 in the morning and it was dark and raining and visibility was very low and I was driving on a country lane. I mis-judged one of the sharp turn and as I tried to steer my car into the bend, the rear wheel hit the kerb and my car got out of control and slipped and then I hit the garden wall (yes!! if you were thinking like me that who are the idiot people who hit someones wall....thats me!) Needless to say that the garden wall was knackered. The house owner was a nice guy and he called the police. The police came and took all the information from me and then told me dont worry these things happens and then gave me a lift to the nearest train station as well :)

I called my insurer the same day and told them everything how it happened and they said dont worry we will take care of any claim that will be raised by the third party. I received another call next day telling me that my car is write off.

I was thinking that everything is settled now, until I received a letter from my insurer today. It says:

We have examined your description of the accident, together with any other information supplied to date, and regret to advise you that we feel it is unlikely that we would be successful in fully defending the third party's claim against you. This conclusion is based on our experience of handling other motor vehicle claims and the approach of the Courts in deciding issues of liability in such circumstances.

It is therefore our intention, given that we have to keep commercial considerations in mind, to deal with the third party's claim now, on the most economic terms that we can.

I hope that someone would be able to shed some light on what this letter actually means and what options I have?

Thank you

It means that the insurers will not try and fight the house owner's claim against you (and thus against the insurers) for the damage to the wall. No surprise for you there, as you accept it was your fault!.

Options for you? none really, just let the insurers settle the claim. Your NCB may decrease if not protected, and you should expect your premium to rise even if your NCB is protected as your 'baseline' premium may well increase even before NCB is taken off.

• Confused 1

Ohhh...I was thinking that insurance are not going to settle the issue and I have to pay for the damage of the wall??? Is that not the case?

Where does the insurer say "we won't be settling this"? They haven't said that at all.

What they actually say is "It is therefore our intention, given that we have to keep commercial considerations in mind, to deal with the third party's claim now" - that THEY will deal with the house owner's claim.

You asked the question. I answered, explaining my answer.

Why do you disbelieve my answer?

No, it's not the case. Stop stressing P4All, all appears fine and the house owner, Police and your insurer see you as a decent person. :-)

As Bazza states above, your insurer will have their pound of flesh from you over the next 5 years with increased premiums.

Bazza beat me to it....

• Confused 1

I never disbelieved your answer and I am really grateful that you have made it crystal clear for me. I was under the false impression that I have to settle the claim my self and because of your reply I am all relaxed now. Maybe the accident has affected my head :)

I am really sorry that I have annoyed you.

Thank you once again for your help :)

What they are saying is they are settling the claim out of court, rather than defending it and incurring costs. That is what Third Party insurance is intended to cover, not just repair to vehicles you crash into.

They rarely go to court. The courts actually discourage it and prefer settlement between parties.

Insurers also have an obligation to policyholders and regulators to ensure they operate in a way that is financially prudent. If they were going to court where it made no financial sense, then they would be criticised for wasting money.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread