Untaxed car, wrong details

locostmike
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2780 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

On 27/4/18 I was stopped by a Police traffic car as the car I had just bought and was driving was untaxed.

I had no idea the rules had changed,

it was insured in my name and the police officer let me continue on the basis that I taxed the car imeadiately, which I did.

I've received a letter dated 19/9/16 from DVLA saying that I was stopped in an untaxed car and have to pay an out of court settlement of £376 by 6/10/16.

The letter has the wrong registration number (similar, but wrong) and an incorrect spelling of my surname.

Do any of these details mean could avoid paying/stop the offence/payment?

It seems a long time from the offence to the commencement of their action.

Also feels harsh that the police officer said just to get it taxed.

Thanks for any help

locostmike

Guest roaringmouse

As above, write to DVLA enclosing a photocopy (keep the original) of their letter stating that you do not and never have owned the vehicle in their letter and quote that reg number. So, if you own ABC 123D and they wrote to you about ABC 123B, then you quote ABC 123B in your letter but DO NOT point out the closeness to your reg number or mention it at all.

They will possibly write back with another letter with the correct details as this is a typo, but they may just accept you are correct. Certainly in law you are because if they take you to court a judge will accept that you do not own the other registration number.