My UK driving licence renewal date was 2 years ago

Herewe
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2777 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I moved away from the UK some years ago, I've obtained a new driving licence in my new country but it's not an EU one or one from a country that can be converted directly into a UK licence.

The date on my UK driving licence ran out in 2014 - I made attempts to try to renew it so I could at least keep it up to date but it appears you must use a UK address to update it and it is an offence to have an address on your driving licence where you are not resident.

I do plan on returning to the UK at some point and as my new driving licence is not from a reciprocal country that can convert directly into a new UK licence - it would be an awful pain to have to return and do a new theory and practical driving test to get a new UK licence.

I heard from some places that if you leave it more than 2 years to renew your UK licence they can require you to take the test again, other places say no such thing and that the licence is valid until you're 70 it's just the photo that needs updating.

Can anybody give me a solid answer? Assuming I haven't reached the age of 70 when I return to the UK, if say the last date on my UK licence was 10 years ago will I have no problems renewing it with an updated photo for the usual renewal fee, no re-test required?

That was the first place I looked. It states:

''You must renew a photocard licence every 10 years - you’ll receive a reminder before your current licence ends.''

My question is what happens if I don't?

That was the first place I looked. It states:

''You must renew a photocard licence every 10 years - you’ll receive a reminder before your current licence ends.''

My question is what happens if I don't?

If there is no process explained online, i think once you are back in the UK you would have to apply for a new licence, rather than renew an existing one. I can't see that you would have to re-take your test, but DVLA would want your old licence details, plus all the other information required for a new application.

But for a 100% authorative answer, contact DVLA and ask them.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Update

Reading a few different internet sites.

You just follow the normal renewal process once you have a UK address. Driving licences with a photocard don't actually expire below 70 years of age. It is just that the photocard is out of date. DVLA also do have a fine system when people don't renew photo licences on time, so you would need to explain that you left the UK for a period.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Additionally, when you do update your licence:

a) take copies of your licence- front and back, (and the paper counterpart), and

b) send it by Special Delivery (so it has to be signed for individually, Recorded Delivery seems to be signed for 'en bloc').

This is so:

a) you don't have entitlements (like D1 or motorbike) 'disappear' from your licence, and then have DVLA tell you they have no record of you every holding that entitlement ..... and

b) so when DVLA say "no post received", you can show otherwise...

I'm sure some people have no such problem with DVLA, but these are all problems people have posted on CAG about, and the way to avoid issues if the problem does arise!.

That was my understanding - however I did read in some places that you could be required to re-take your test if more than 2 years passed since your licence was due for renewal. Is this inaccurate?

That was my understanding - however I did read in some places that you could be required to re-take your test if more than 2 years passed since your licence was due for renewal. Is this inaccurate?

Don't think so.

There might be people with medical issues that need reassessment. But under 70 years old without any issues, it is just the case that the photo part is out of date. You have not lost your licence.

Strange. I don't understand the misinformation going around saying you may need to retake your test if a certain amount of time passes since failing to renew your licence. Some say two years, some say 10.

Strange. I don't understand the misinformation going around saying you may need to retake your test if a certain amount of time passes since failing to renew your licence. Some say two years, some say 10.

Who is saying this ? DVLA, government minister.

I could not see anything official about retaking tests as photo licences were not renewed with a new photo.

• 2 weeks later...

Some years ago, when anyone passed their driving test, they were issued with a pass certificate which had to be sent to the DVLA in order for a full licence to be issued. If this was not sent to the DVLA within the prescribed (2 year) period a new driving test had to be taken. The 10 year expiry on your UK licence only refers to the photo; it does not affect your entitlement to drive. You can renew it without penalty upon your return to the UK. Good advice from BazzaS in post #6.