Setting up a new energy account

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2809 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

I'm new to the forum and hope I can be a valuable contributor in some small way.

I am about to move home and having a bit of a problem with Scottish Power - they are the providers in my new house. Well the people who provided the previous tenants with power anyway. I spent an hour on the phone trying to register for an account with them to no avail. It is a prepayment meter in the new property and my question is this. Do I have to register with Scottish Power initially or can I go straight to another company - I will be changing anyway as their rates seem a bit high. Also as a joint tenant do both of us have to resister or can just one of us? We were going to split the bills between us - one pay water/phone the other gas/electric.

Many thanks

Serena

Only one of you needs to be registered on the account. As you are a "new customer", you are free to go to which ever supplier you like. Just make sure there are no outstanding debts allocated to the meter from the previous tenant otherwise you will end up paying for them.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.

So I can just register with the cheapest and will they send me out a new card?

One would hope so. But be warned: Some suppliers will put you on a more expensive tariff to cover the additional admin costs of a prepayment meter.

If you are a low energy user, it might be worthwhile having a look at a supplier such as Ebico. Although their costs per unit of energy are higher than the mainstream suppliers, they do not have a separate standing charge or additional fees for prepayment meters.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.

If there is no reason as to why your credit record would force you to have a prepayment meter considercomplaining and getting the ombudsman involved as soon as possible they are supposed to offer you the best deal they have unless they can show a good reason as to why not. The last tenant being a bad payer isnt one of the acceptable reasons but a short term tenancy may well be.