Evans Halshaw used car woes

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2841 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

We purchased an 3 month old ex demo Fiesta zetec s from Evans Halshaw in April. Since then it's been back and forth to the dealer 5 times as it keeps coming out of gear.we have covered around 3000 miles in the car since purchase.

They have had it in again this week, this time for a few days but they now think the clutch/pressure plate is worn. They have said that if this is down to driver error we will be liable for the full £900 replacement parts and labour cost.

I have spoken to Evans Halshaw head office and they have said the same. We have covered very little mileage in the car and owned it for less than 5 months so I'm gobsmacked that they could be asking us to pay.

I'm considering rejecting the car as the fault has been present since we owned the car. What are my options in this case? Any advice appreciated.

What they are suggesting is that one of the drivers might be riding the clutch. It's very rare for a clutch to cause problems of jumping out of gear, this is usually a sign of gearlever or internal gearbox wear or even worn or faulty engine mounts.

I don't trust garages and especially don't trust selling garages, so if they are going to pull the clutch to check it, you should be there and see the parts for yourself.

EH might not do it, but some garages will hang on to worn part so they can then show the customer and hence put the blame on them.

Is the car on finance ?

If so, is it HP ?

A PCP is regulated just like HP, and also just like HP, the finance company owns it and not you, so write to them and tell them that their car has a problem and you want it fixed or changed. If neither is done to your satisfaction within 14 days

you will reject the car and expect a full refund.

Is it a manufacturers PCP ?

I've seen a few posts on various car forums regarding fiestas jumping out of gear. Usually 2nd gear when you're on the overrun - i.e, coasting along and take foot off throttle. More likely a syncro problem which involves an expensive strip down of the gearbox. If it's been back 5 times already and still not sorted it sounds to me they are trying to bodge/mask and now shift the blame onto you as they know it's going to be a costly fix to put right. Personally if the option to reject is there I would do just that - not least for their insulting suggestion that you don't know how to drive properly, but also the potential danger of finding yourself pulling out of a busy junction only to find you've slipped into neutral gear with a 40tonne truck bearing down on you!

Totally agree, its not ideal when it comes out of reverse as we live on a hill and I've lost count on how many times I've nearly rear ended the neighbours car. We have sent rejection emails and recorded letters to the finance company (Motonovo) and the original dealership on Thursday but all has been quiet so far.