Inquiry launched into 'rip-off' rail ticket machines

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2844 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

The rail watchdog is launching an investigation into “rip off” rail machines after a Telegraph investigation revealed that passengers

are routinely being denied the cheapest fares.

Joanna Whittington, chief executive of the Office of Rail and Road, said that research suggests one in 20*passengers were being

sold rail tickets by machines that are too expensive.

This means the millions of rail passengers could be potentially be paying the wrong*train*fares for journeys.

An investigation by the Telegraph in 2014 found that customers were forced to pay double the required fare*as a result of

machines promoting the most expensive tickets and “burying” the cheapest options.

Telegraph

This extends to the new "system/trick" of the contactless bank cards used on the tube.

I have been overcharged several times and only on a couple of occasions I have been refunded by the bank.

Yesterday I got to my station and once home I checked my daily charges to find out I was debited £7.90 for one journey instead of a couple of quid.

Went back to the station but they've shut all ticket offices in London (thanks Boris Johnson) and they can't check contactless cards anyway.

So, today I went to a national rail station and bought an old fashion weekly ticket at the same price of oyster and contactless.

The only difference is that now they can't take whatever amount of money they want.

Technology doesn't always help the common man!

Are they only just starting this investigation? I thought they had already had one and were starting to force this [problem] off the ticket machines.

Disgusting!

I once saw a £77 standard class ticket on the first page and my saver fare £16-50 buried on the second or third page.

Also there's a worse [problem] - try getting a ticket from a tube station out of London on a super saver - you cannot select the fare on the machine. What a rip off, Boris!